Kitchenaid / us refrigerators sucks

Well, so much for a name brand appliance -- the compressor in the Kitchen Aid refrigerator failed after less than 3 years -- actually it has been malfunctioning for the last 8 months, but the first 'fix' Kitchen Aid had was to replace a part (solenoid) that wasn't under warranty at our cost ($150). It worked again (noisily) for a couple months then failed.

Called Kitchen Aid extended warranty at [protected] on June 6, 2006. They assigned A&E Factory service to come out on 6/9/06 to look at unit and determined it needed a new compressor. They ordered compressor and it arrived 6/12/06. The A&E repair person replaced the compressor Wednesday evening (6/14/06), but the refrigerator was still 70 degrees 14 hours later. The compressor would start up After complaining, Kitchen Aid extended warranty people mentioned that a $200 reimbursement for food loss was available -- but this was only offered after the refrigerator had already failed for 10 days and we started to complain more loudly...

The repair man said to 'wait overnight' for the unit to cool down. Apparently he just wanted to leave work after his last service call of the day. On Thursday morning (6/15/06), they told us the earliest available service call was 8-12pm Saturday and have been confirming that time even up to 7pm the night before (6/16/06), but now they called again at 7:30pm and changed it to 'after 1pm 6/17/06'.

We called A&E factory service again at [protected] and the service representative claims that the 'routing group' determines the schedule and there won't be a technician in our area at the particular time. First she says to call the technician on saturday morning. We ask for their phone number. She says she doesn't know and to call the toll free number the next day. I tell her we have already purchased non-refundable theater tickets for the afternoon and they've given us very little notice of the change, they originally told us 8-12pm for the last few times we spoke on phone, bla bla bla. So she says she'll have the manager of the region call us. I ask for the manager's name. She doesn't know. I ask for the region's name. She's not sure. After more prodding she says 'Northern California regional center' I thank her for her help -- not much to thank for given she really is powerless to do anything about this.

On 6/17/06, the A&E repair person arrived and took apart the refrigerator and found that the previous repair person didn't install a capacitor (a 2 minute task) which prevented the compressor from starting up. The compressor seemed to be running continuously after he did his work and he left. 2 hours later at 3pm, we found that the compressor was in the same failure mode of starting up for about 2 seconds and then spinning down. After calling A&E, we were told that the technician is no longer in the area and can't schedule another until tuesday (6/20).

After calling Kitchen Aid extended warranty again at [protected], we were informed of the technicalities of the 'lemon law' clause in the extended warranty. The same part must be replaced three times without fixing the problem. So far, the compressor has only been replaced once, but it has taken two innefective service calls so far. So, they would need to try replacing the compressor twice more, probably over a course of 4-6 weeks before the 'lemon clause' takes effect.

I don't think the extended warranty service people are necessarily 100% of the blame -- if Kitchen Aid (Whirlpool) produced a more reliable product or 'invested' more in their service contracts we would get faster service and less breakdowns. Rather there is a product reliability problem. My parents' Fridgidaire refrigerator has been working for the past 30 years and is only now starting to have compressor problems.

Kitchen Aid is a Whirlpool brand.
Our desired outcome:

What we want to resolve this situation is a working refrigerator as soon as possible. We see that the most effective means to getting a working refrigerator is to be given a new refrigerator with valid warranty rather than enduring the continuing attempt to fix the existing refrigerator using repair services that do not do the job. It wiil have been 3 weeks without a working Kitchen Aid refrigerator when the service person comes out again to try and fix the Kitchen Aid refrigerator.

A  24th of Aug, 2006 by
I had a major problem trying to get my Kitchen Aid dishwasher fix, but the reason I blame Kitchen Aid is not the product, but that fact that they use A&E repair. Rude, incompetent %^$(*!!!

Not only did they not order the part I was waiting for but took my money for the repairs that should have been (and where) covered by warrenty.

A&E was here 8/5/06 and charged me for a covered repair, we agreed for them to have the part shipped to me and I would install it. Well today 8/24/06 still no part &^&%& !!!

I called Whrilpool/kitchen Aid and told her my store after spending 1 hour on the phone with A&E (&^^%8)!!!

They promised my the part tomorrow (We shall see!) and put in a complant about A&E.

If you search the web for A&E factory repair you get nothing but complant's about this company.
Moral of the story.

If a Whirlpool/Maytag/kitchen Aid/Who knows product breaks make sure they do not call A&E, you have a choice in most area's.

BEWARE OF A&E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A  13th of Dec, 2007 by
I cant agree more. I have a kitchen aid fridge and i have fruit fly problems with it. Yes fruit flies. in my 32 years I have never had fruit flies the inside of my fridge. There would be times where there would be 1000's of them lying dead in my freezer and fridge. Mind you I also have 2 other fridges in the house and dont have that problem, infact I have fruit flies almost every year because I enjoy organic fruits straight from the farms but I never had fruit flies invade my fridge. I would clean it out from top to bottom and dispose of any fruits and veggies and the problem would still persist time after time. I mean thousands of these lil buggers. I called kitchen aid on this problem and they would send techs out but they cant figure it out and then kitchen aid would say well its a environment issue not the fridge and im like well how the hell are they dying by the boat loads in there fully grown? your telling me they are hatching and growing to adults in sub zero temps are you? and they would say well we cant comment on that and will not ever issue you a new fridge. Tough luck and dont call us again. Kitchen aid is probably the worst company I have ever dealt with. And I wish I never bought any kitchen aid products. Please people stick with GE, jenair, or LG dont but not kitchen aid or whirlpool for that matter as they are the same company.

I want a new fridge but im stuck with one that lets bugs in.
A  11th of Jan, 2008 by
I believe the problem is with the Kitchen Aid product. They are now inferior since Whirlpool has taken over the manufacturing. I have a brand new $3000.00 + dual fuel range that was out of commission for three months after it was installed. And after one year my dishwasher required $238.00 soap dispenser replacement. I did not buy additional service coverage stupidly thinking that these products were like the Kitchen Aid products I'd had for more than 20 years. I agree that LG may be the way to go in the future.
A  11th of Apr, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have had simular problems with our Kitchenaid side by side, SR 2945605, refrigerator which was installed in 2005. The frigeration temperature starts raising. The freezer side freezses up.

WE have had the mother board replaced, the defrost cycle timer replaced, the little flipper door between the freezer and the refrigator replaced. I have had the repairman here starting in June, July, October, November, December of 2007, and January 2008. I have had to take the food out twice since January and allow the refrigetor to defrost completely. Today, I have a call into service again because the freezer is frosen up again! The frigerator side is up to 55 degrees.

Calls to Kitchenaid produces nothing but sorry. I would not recommend this product line to anyone.
A  25th of Apr, 2008 by
I just finished reading a website where people were extolling the virtues of Kitchenaid for the terrific customer service. None of these folks were having problems with major appliances. We have been having huge problems with our KitchenAid side by side fridge freezer for the last two years and I have never experienced such awful customer service. I have had emails go totally unanswered, made calls to a toll free number (1-800-253-1301) where I was told that no one had the name or phone of any executive to whom I could complain and I then put on hold for over 10 minutes waiting for someone to research a division manager's name. My fridge has broken 7 times in the last year and is now broken once again. I am thoroughly unhappy with Kitchenaid's solution to gladly replace the unit (after a year of being told that it did not work correctly) for almost the original purchase price of the unit. And to add insult to injury, the unit has a HUGE crack running down the middle of the central mullion separating the fridge from the freezer. Unfortunately, we did not buy this unit but rest assured, when I do buy a new fridge (or any other appliance of my choosing) it will not be a Kitchenaid. If anyone has any suggestions how to solve this mess, I would gladly like to know. The only redeeming factor in this saga is the folks who are constantly coming to try and repair my lemon. They have been great!
A  9th of Aug, 2008 by
I couldn't agree more with the people complaining about Kitchenaid appliances. My wife and I decided to splurge on expensive appliances for the first time, and we have nothing but regret. I wish I had read sites like this one first. I assumed that a $2, 500 refrigerator with the Kitchenaid name would be a good investment. We had the stainless steel, french door, bottom freezer unit for about 5 weeks before it stopped cooling. We were without a fridge for a day and had to throw out a bunch of food. Our service call came about 4 days later, and by then the thing was working again. Of course, the serviceman said that Kitchenaid would not authorize any work since he couldn't verify the problem. I understood. Now, less than 2 weeks later, the same thing. The freezer was at 0 degrees all day, but the fridge part was at 70 degrees. Once again, we threw the food out and I spent 45 minutes on the phone arranging for a service call. Of course, now, about 11 hours after I noticed the problem this morning, it's working fine again. We'll see what happens next. If anyone is reading this BEFORE purchasing Kitchenaid, count your blessings, do your research and buy something of quality. Don't be fooled by a fancy looking appliance. By the way, it looks great, just doesn't work as well as the $400 Sears fridge I had before this one.
A  4th of Mar, 2010 by
Our most recent home was built in 2007, we chose Kitchen Aid appliances because for our experience from our 1st home built in 1995 where we did not have one repair in 12 years from our original Kitchen Aid appliances. Since 2007 with the NEW kitchen Aid appliances (Refrig, Dishwasher, Range, Microwave, Washer & Dryer) we have had at least one repair on each of the appliances with the exception only of the Dryer (fingers crossed).
Model #KSCS25FTMS02 Refrig.has been the most trouble, 1st the auger motor in the in-door ice maker and most recently the ice maker failed completely. Model #KBMS1454RSS microwave: the digital light failed. Model #KUDS03FTSS dishwasher: stainless steel front panel actually "rusted".

We have been very disappointed in the Kitchen Aid decline in overall quality and lack of "goodwill" assistance on behalf of the manufacturer's customer service to assist anyway with regard to costly repairs for loyal customers. They are very good at referring to A&E Factory Service though!

Mike & Tammie Holland
N  28th of Jul, 2010 by
If it says Kitchen Aid...stay away! That stuff is terrible! It will not last 3 years. Even the new ones come with major defects - they have NO quality control and NO customer service.
N  28th of Jul, 2010 by
One more thing, I am a builder and we have offered Kitchen Aid as an "upgrade". I am pleased to say that I have removed them, along with Whirlpool & Maytag from our options list.
A  14th of Oct, 2010 by
I had to order a new door because my ice maker flapper was broken. Yes the whole freezer door had to be replaced. The door took almost 5 months to arrive. Now it has been installed but the ice make bucket does not fit the new door. Apparently they redesigned the two pins that the bucket sits on. This is a 4 year old counter depth stainless unit. The compressor has had to be replaced and the refrigerator gives off so much heat on the front that it feels like it is melting the rubber gaskets. Now the water is coming out slowly and the filter is brand new. The repair man said that another part might now need to be replaced. Imagine that this company is not even capable of connecting a hose and squirting out water. This company has lost its way.

My dishwasher - 5 years old - has died. A $1, 000+ stainless dishwasher junked. The electronics were just not able to survive more than 5 years without bombing out. This happened after the door hinge had to be replaced. Apparently they switched to strings to connect the spring and it just does not last. I guess that wire would raised the price even more.

I have 7 major Kitchenaid appliances and I will now start to switch then all out as each one dies their early death. I only hope the company goes under and stops selling this junk.

N  23rd of Nov, 2010 by
Kitchen Aid sucks
All I can say is I will never buy again, and I will try to dissuade as many people as possible from buying
KA appliances. quality is a joke, and customer service is non-existence.
please join my facebook page
N  22nd of Mar, 2011 by
Just found out my KA ice machine has a leak in the evaporator. 5.5 years old-warranty 5 years. I've had to pay for repairs to a KA oven and wine cooler also. Spoke to customer care asking for help given $1000 repairs for $5000 appliances only 5.5 years old. I was told sorry, but 30 days past warranty is customer responsibility. I know they have to cut off somewhere, but all 3 appliances have failed and cost me to repair. They have lost a customer for life.
A  18th of Jan, 2012 by
Kitchen Aid Sucks

Sorry I spent more money for "American Made" to buy garbage Asia would be ashamed to sell. All they do is hide behind their name. Just pass the word about their TERRIBLE quality and worse customer service. Maybe when they are facing bankruptcy they will realize they should have spent money on building a good product and providing good customer service - Not corporate bonuses and stock dividends, or whatever they are doing. I paid TOP dollar and got JUNK! My refrigerator is 13 months old and we are looking at replacing it at our expense.

Who can we go to for help?
A  28th of Aug, 2017 by
My Dream Kitchen is a Nightmare
I did a total remodel on my kitchen last year and purchased all new kitchenaid appliances. They are beautiful!!
The new dishwasher was leaking the day it was installed and had to be repaired.
The microwave/vent unit made so much noise the first time I turned it on I could not even use it until it was repaired.
Now 11 months later the new french door refrigerator is on it's second repair. This time the ice maker stopped making ice, called for service. Started making a little but the ice melted immediately when put into liquid. Before part came in for ice maker, I noticed that the milk did not seem cold. Checked the settings and saw that it was set for 37 degrees. The actual temp was 52 degrees. Needless to say I had to toss everything in the fridge.
The gas stove is working so far, but I have already made up my mind that I would replace it if one thing went wrong. I will never buy another kitchenaid appliance, and I understand Whirlpool is made by the same people.

If Toyota make appliances, I would buy that!!
N  29th of Aug, 2017 by
@techstyle Hello techstyle,

We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your Washer. If you still need assistance, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (Complaintsboard), your user ID name (techstyle), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to NAR_Customer_Solutions@KitchenAid.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further.

KitchenAid Logo KitchenAid