Kenmore Elite High Efficiency Washer / rusting around bleach dispenser

1 Manassas, VA, United States Review updated:

Sears purchase 12/2010 five top of line appliances following remodel. Problem: RUST around Kenmore Elite High Efficiency Washer liquid bleach dispenser. I have been trying to resolve this with Sears for 2+ months without help from Sears. I want them to provide excellent customer service and am not getting any service. There are lots of complaints about this rust issue on Sears site -- only read one where Sears stood up and replaced the washer collar twice. I was told that no rust protection was to be provided by ANY warranty. The whole washer body has or had a 3 year body protection... I have gone thru 2 years of severe injury and illness making me unable to deal with more issues other than trying to stay alive. Having recovered a great deal I am (and have been for 2+ months) to get this resolved without success. Most of the staff have been horrible, there are a few that listened but could or would not help -- I got the part number, purchase cost but can't get a firm quote on getting a tech out. I get conflicting quotes on all pricing.

I think this should be covered and replaced without cost - a manufacturing defect not caused by me/our household. Our maintenance of our belongings is unquestionable, our home is heated/air conditioned and we don't open to outside moisture --- so that is not an issue. The lid is always left open so there is not an issue there either.

If Sears will not be standup about this and fix it asap I will never again waste my monies at Sears for any purchase.

Ru
Oct 25, 2013

Comments

• Se
      30th of Oct, 2013

RustyWasherFromSears,
    We thank you for informing us about this matter regarding the rust around your Kenmore Elite High Efficiency Washer liquid bleach dispenser. My name is Dianne and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. At Sears we pride ourselves on making sure our valued members are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have not met that goal here. We understand your frustration in this situation and would be more than happy to speak to you further on what has transpired and offer our assistance to help. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (RustyWasherFromSears) and the phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.

Dianne D.
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support Team

• Pu
      12th of Dec, 2014

I have the same washer and rusting in the same location. Sears and Kenmore will do nothing about. I have bought my last product from Sears.

27th of Jan, 2016

I have same washer and there is a million complaints received per manager. I wish I was rich to higher a lawyer about this. Everyone is have problems with bleach dispenser rusting! It's a defect! Not because bleach isn't wiped up! I've had several other washers that lasted 10 plus years never had this problem!

2nd of Oct, 2016

I also have rust around, my bleach dispenser
    All kenmore washers I hav seen do this . They say you have to wipe off area after u use bleach .
    I don't use bleach we use oxi clean so go figure .
    Do not buy a kenmore/ Whirlpool
    They r not rated good.
    We r having to buy new for cosmetic reasons other wise our clothes will be ruined with rust

2nd of Oct, 2016

Sears wants u to buy a coverage for 250.00 and they will replace the cover.
    It cost about the same to just buy a new one after they charge u extra for service fee

• Ki
      29th of Jan, 2017

I have the same problem with my washer. I think I have used bleach 1 time in the past 6 years. I called Sears in 2013 about this and was told there wasn't a recall on this and it should be ok. Now it's 6 years and the rust is ridiculous. I plan on calling Sears this week as apparently this is a huge problem.

• Ra
      25th of Feb, 2018

My kenmore elite is only 7 years old and the rust is so bad i cant use the washer now.

• Sh
      18th of May, 2018

Model # 29272 has rust at the dispenser site and leaves rush spots on my clothes.

• Md
      1st of Jun, 2018

I have the Kenmore Oasis Elite he ($1400) and a whirlpool dryer ($750) both from Sears. They have had so many problems through the years, rust is not the exception. I am reaching the point where my washer will be unable do to the rust around the lid and other areas. At this point, maintenance has been more expensive than what I paid for them originally.
    I urge everyone to do their homework before buying anything from Sears and if possible, stay away!

• Li
      6th of Jun, 2018

I have the same problem but my Kenmore Elite washer is rusting all around the top, not just the bleach dispenser (which I very rarely use!). The worst area is where the water dispenses when a wash cycle starts. Soon I will not be able to open the tray where you put the detergent, as the rust is so bad it is rubbing on the tray. If anyone from Kenmore is reading this, take a look at the pictures. This is a known problem and Kenmore doesn't want to do anything about it. I have owned many washers over the years, including Kenmore and I have NEVER had a washer do this before! This is clearly a defective product.

22nd of Sep, 2018

Our Kenmore Elite top loader HE also has rust around the bleach dispenser. My call to Sears a year or so ago got me a flippant answer of "you can get Rustoleum paint at Wal-Mart." Ridiculous. Already went through the stator replacement battle when the washer was BRAND NEW and nearly taking the wall out of our new house. That took many phone calls and emails before a technician was sent out to fix it. It's sad to have to buy service plans on appliances now, which we fortunately did; this was my first new washer-dryer pair in my whole life, after decades of buying used Whirlpool pairs (total of 2 sets). HE washer isn't. Grows scoodge and mold. The water you save HE washing is used up trying to clean the washer with bleach, vinegar, borax, whatever. And then you have to leave it yawning like a hippo in the utility room to keep it from blooming more spores. I hope whoever designed this machine has to live with and use one at home.

1st of Oct, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Washer in 2014 and now my washer is rusting around the bleach dispenser and I am being told that it is not covered under Sears most expensive warranty that I purchased.
    I am livid beyond measure. The machine I had before this was 25 years old and had no rust at all on it. I want it replaced or fixed immediately!
    Sears is pretty much telling me get lost!