[Resolved] JustAnswer / unethical behaviour regarding payment

Not known, GB

I was inadvertently directed (from a legitimate online chat about a printer problem with a local company ) to the JustAnswer site, by some 'phishing' event?, where the conversation continued. I was asked for a deposit, refundable if the question was answered satisfactorily. I agreed and paid by Paypal. The amount taken was £20 (about five times the amount mentioned as deposit). I had an initial answer to my problem, which was useless, but at that point realised what had happened and saw the ominous 'would you prefer us to log in remotely to help you.'
Since then I have had emails stating that they (just answer) were unable to access the remainder of my bill and needed more payment details. This seems like a blatant attempt to access my PayPal account again.
I have complained to PayPal who suggested I initially conduct this through mediation with the company (JustAnswer).
I realise I have little chance of recovering the amount I've already paid, but worried that my PayPal account may be compromised.
Any advice or help welcome

• Resolution statement

• JustAnswer Customer Care's Response, Mar 08, 2017

Hello Patricia,

We apologize for any confusion about the cost of the question. In looking at your account I can see that we did issue a refund for the £20.00 back to your PayPal account and there will be no further charges unless you post another question.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance by reaching out to [protected]@justanswer.com and we're happy to help.

Regards,
    Adam - Customer Support Supervisor.

Fu