Jetstar / another unhappy customer

1 Queensland, Australia Review updated:

On the morning of the 18th October 2008 I flew from Brisbane to Cairns on Qantas flight QF798. I checked in 1 x suitcase and 1 x set of golf clubs.

In the afternoon of the 20th of October 2008 I arrived at the Cairns Jetstar check-in counter with my suitcase and golf clubs for my return trip to Brisbane on JQ939. After placing both items on the weighing station I was informed that I was 16kgs over the allowable limit, and that I was going to be charged at a rate of $10 per kilo. That’s $160 to bring my golf clubs back from my short trip, the game of golf only cost me $99!

I was NOT charged by Qantas on the way up, yet I get slugged $160 on my return trip. It would have been cheaper to book a new flight with Virgin. I have never been charged by Jetstar before to take my golf clubs with me, and I have certainly never been charged by Qantas or Virgin.

I asked the woman behind the counter if there was anything that could be done for me, maybe waiving the fee for this one off occasion, or even offering me a discounted rate. I asked her what my options were, her reply “you can leave your clubs behind” what a stupid thing to say, oh ok, so I can leave them at your house and I’ll pick them up next time I’m in town? Get real!

She was not forthcoming or helpful on any of these requests, her (Jestar’s) ‘take it or leave’ it attitude it appalling. No compassion, no caring, not even a glimmer of someone trying to help.

I know what you are going to say “different airlines have different policies” and “it’s all in our terms and conditions”, well I can tell you; if that’s the line you want to draw in the sand I’m never going to fly Jetstar again!

One last thing, let me give an insight into Virgin Blue’s customer service, they do everything they possibly can to help you, if you arrive 20min before your flight they do everything possible to get you on-board, if you luggage is slightly over they don’t worry about it, if you are transporting sporting goods they don’t charge you. So maybe, just maybe you could take a leaf of Virgin’s book and build on your ice cold customer relations because at the moment it stinks, it absolutely stinks!

Another unhappy Jetstar customer!

Pe

Comments

• Ca
      17th of Nov, 2008
    Jetstar - Jetstar
    Queensland

Thanks Jetstar.

Despite considerable effort to discuss the issue of a flight refund or change, there has been no response and my 17 daughter is sobbing over loosing her life savings to a heartless corporation which won't refund despite Australians being warned not to travel to Bali etc.

The lack or response and attitude is deporable.

JETSTAR SUCKS

• Ha
      21st of Jul, 2009

I know where your coming from with Jetstar, 2 week's ago they lost our suitcase, with no connecting flight from Cairns to Narita airport in Japan, the airport in Japan rang us 3 times in a week to apologise that they haven't found our suitcase yet, we get back to Cairns & report it again, it's been a week & not a phone call, your right, they couldn't care less

• Ms
      7th of Aug, 2009

Sorry they spolit your golf game!
    You should just have flown QANTAS both ways. Seriously.
    Virgin are not worth touching with a long stick, in my humble opinion. Most of the crew's parents don't even know where they are. They are FAR too young and inexperienced. FAR too inexperienced!
    Give me QANTAS ANYDAY!

30th of Aug, 2009

I travelled on 5Aug2009 to Darwin 825pm flight. I was really upset about a Malay stewardess. I had to remove several items of other passengers in order to retrieve my bag and personal items from the overhead compartment. After that, I looked at the air stewardess hoping that she could assist me to put back some of the items. You know what happened? Without a smile, she said, "you put them back yourself". She just stood there watching me while i did that! I didn't want to create a scene, so kept quiet.

What kind of service is this? asking passengers to do it themselves? Where is the customer service? I saw her talking extremely nice to other caucasian passengers, offering them helps and chatting in very friendly manner!

What's wrong with this air stewardess? Caucasians are superior is it? Are local people inferior therefore deserve less helpful services is it? Isn't this showing prejudice? Hey... yes, this is a budget airline, but we pay the SAME AMOUNTS for the tickets! Shouldn't we be treated the same way, receiving the same quality services?

I've travelled on several other airlines, so far this is the ONLY ONE that showed this kind of discrimination. Jetstar may want to do something about this. Perhaps give training to their staff, to show the same respect and provide the same quality customer service to ALL PASSENGERS! I'd not choose to use Jetstar anymore.

• Br
    smh.com.au

• Sh
      24th of Jan, 2010

Hi
    I completly agree with you-now since I have also experienced sort of same. I think it the stinky ladies who create those humps and spoil peoples holidays. No one should ever travel Jetstar to teach them a lesson and make them improve their customer service.

• Al
      1st of Feb, 2010

I made a mistake filling in their online form, got the directions wrong, realised a couple days later when my itinerary was emailed to me... they won't do anything about it. And I'm barely 18, on apprenticeship wages, so I don't know how I'm gonna afford to pay for the exact same flight again, only in the other direction.

• C4
      30th of Apr, 2010

Mate, unlike qantas and virgin 737's, Jetstar Airbus aircraft use containers to store passenger bags in the hold, instead of been bulk loaded. The containers have a size and a total weight limit on them. When the ground staff prepare to load you bags into the cans they are giving a number of pax that are expected for the flight. This determines how many cans are to be used, along with freight and connecting cans from other flight. SO when you are told of a limit per passenger it is for a safety reason. And trust me, if we cannot fit it into a can, we will leave a surf board, golf clubs etc etc behind in favour of suit cases and bags.

Honestly, get over it. People who say "well qantas/virgin" don't do that, or they allowed me to bring them are idiots. You are flying with JETSTAR, NOT QANTAS, NOT VIRGIN

20th of Jul, 2010
    Jetstar - Left/Lost Baggage
    Australia

Jetstar left the baggage of 27 passengers...over 100 pieces!...in Jakarta off their flight to Perth from Jakarta on Sunday July 18. To date i.e. midday on July 20 the passengers affected have no news on what has happened to their baggage or when they can expect delivery. This is apalling service!

22nd of Jul, 2010

Well none of the affected passengers can be impressed!Latest news: baggage finally delivered two to three days late. Passengers only advised just before baggage arrived in Perth. Total passengers affected 37. Total pieces of luggage left off the plane 110. Must be almost a world first!

• Lw
      27th of Jan, 2011
    Jetstar - Check-in Baggage
    New Zealand

I booked 2 x Return flights to Queenstown from Christchurch. The flights did not include Check-in Baggage. But on the way back we had more luggage than we left with, so needed to checkin 2 suitcases, which cost us $80 each to check-in. Most airlines only charge $20 to check-in luggage. JETSTAR IS A RIP-OFF!!! I will never travel with them again.Also the staff at the Check-in counter is rude and unhelpful!!!

• Ri
      28th of Mar, 2011
    Jetstar - Flight delay more than 6 hours
    Macau

Due to misty weather at Macau on 22/03/11, Jetstar 3K574 delay flight timing from 2.25 am to 12.35pm and this incident caused us spent HK$1, 600(S$261.60) one night at Hotel Golden Dragon.

As such, I would like to claim this amount S$261.60 since flight delay already more then 6 hours.

• Fd
      29th of Mar, 2011

Airlines are not required to pay or make other accomendations suxh as hotel rooms, food, etc for reasons caused by an Act of God, such as weather.

• Jq
      29th of May, 2011

every airline is different and they each have their own protocols, jetstar is a budget carrier where you pay for what you get, people have a choice who they wish to travel with, terms and conditions are there for a reason when booking flights.

• Hp
      2nd of Sep, 2011
    Jetstar - Poor customer service
    Singapore

Hopeless customer service provided by Jetstar Airline, shameful for not replying complaint against them.

• Gi
      31st of Oct, 2011

Totally agreed. Worst call centre and customer relations team ever encounter

• Ax
      19th of Mar, 2014

Crap Customer service.
    Inflexible
    No idea how to retain a customer
    Bound to go Bust if they continue with that attitude
    I will certainly tell all of my social media contacts to avoid them like the plague!

• St
      10th of Nov, 2015

Jetstar call centre is hopeless appalling.. make your blood boil waiting for a response on simple enquiry about how much it costs to change a flight.

Don t bother to call Jetstar manila call centre. They cannot handle calls and clients. Totally inflexible and when you ask a question they cannot answer they put you on hold for 10 mins on top of the 35 mins to get through to an agent.

• Ax
      10th of Nov, 2015

They don't appear to have any ability or right to make any judgement calls regard your complaint. And apart from that they don't have any real customer service flexibility which of course makes calling them a total wast of time! Write it off and move on...