Intuit / Bait & Switch game

It looks like INTUIT has figured out how to make a little more short-term profit and drive long-term customers, like me (20 years), to TaxCut or some other Competitor.

I was comparing the Deluxe & Premier versions of TurboTax 2006 on the TurboTax web site. On their "Choose me If " pages they stated that a buyer would have to upgrade to the more expensive "Premier" version if they sold stocks, bonds or mutual funds.

In each of the past years, I have used "Deluxe" and stock transactions were part of the year's Income or loss.

This concerned me. So, I sent an E-mail to their Tech support and asked if this were actually the case and I could no longer use “Deluxe” if I sold stocks.

The Intuit Tech Support reply contained the following quote (bad grammar & all):

"1. Yes, the Deluxe version do not offer this feature. If you will try to access this on your product, it will ask you to upgrade to Premier Investment product.

2. There is a question on the Deluxe interview that will ask you if you sold these items. If you will click yes, it will ask you to upgrade to Premier Investment product.

3. Yes, you need to purchase or upgrade your Deluxe 2006 to Premier 2006 to handle stock sale."

turbotax.com/support
Respectfully,
Elmer L
Intuit Tax Products Customer Service & Support
"Revolutionizing how people manage their financial lives"

Stock transactions are a common item in today's income tax. Now they seem to have removed this fundamental tax item from the Deluxe program, with no notice to consumers.

It’s like selling you software that is useless without the purchase of add-ons or having to pay to buy an activation code.

It's a version of the old "Bait & Switch" con game OR the INTUIT Tech Support doesn't know what they are talking about.

Va

Comments

• Bo
      4th of Jan, 2007

This is in response to your posting at Complaints Board. If you have any questions, please contact me. Thanks. Below is my posted response. I hope this satisfies you and earns your trust back.

Unfortunately, the TurboTax agent's response is incorrect and I apologize for that.

TurboTax Deluxe 2006 is virtually identical to the 2005 version. If you have investments like stock/bond transactions, Deluxe will work fine for you. Premier is ideal for investors who have more complex transactions or need additional handholding in this area. For example, you may wish to upgrade to Premier to get these additional benefits:

1. BasisPro - BasisPro automatically computes your cost basis for any publically traded security regardless of when you purchased it and regardless of any corporate mergers/splits/cash distributions/ spinoffs, etc. that may have happened since your purchase.

2. Additional guidance with regard to stock options and employee stock purchase plans.

3. Additional help and interview customization for rental properties.

Just to reiterate, TurboTax Deluxe will handle all of these security transactions and rental properties, but TurboTax Premier provides more help, customized interview and BasisPro to make these complex areas even easier to master.

I hope this information helps.

Bob Meighan
    VP, TurboTax

• Ca
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Intuit - Turbo Tax

I paid Turbo Tax $26.68 to e-file my state tax return. Due to a particular form in my tax return, I was unable to file it electronically and had to send in a paper return. I have been battling with Turbo Tax customer service who refuse to give me a refund for the e-file fee that I was unable to use.

• Ke
      21st of Aug, 2018
    Intuit - Intuit erroneous charges
    intuit.com

I have NEVER been an Intuit customer. I have never used Turbo Tax or any of their products. So why do Intuit charges show up on my checking account? We had almost $1, 000 in charges via POS Debit via Intuit twice. Our cards were cancelled and reissued TWICE this year. It's happening again.