India Today Book Club / Bogus order & delivery and bogus membership

1 India Review updated:

I ordered a few books on line from this book club and these were delivered on time by VPP. But on 03.07.07 I received a VPC from this club without any orders from me. The accompanying letter (unsigned) shows invoice No. ITBC07309941, Invoice date 14.06.07 and order No. ITBC242251 order date 10.06.07. I never placed such an order. Is it a marketing strategy for dubious books?

The same letter shows my membership Number also but when I attempted to log in, the site says this is not a valid membership number!

When I tried to lodge complaint on-line at their web-site, the club has provided any method of contacting them! There is no contact address, phone number, e-mail address or even 'contact us' tab. It seems the club is trying to run the business by taking people for a ride.

Comments

• Sh
      19th of Jul, 2007

Received 3 books against The member ship and Order date which is shocking. I am a Subscriber of INDIA TODAY weekly magazine that's all... I am not a good book reader, and books shipped or least interesting one... Order was accepted by my parents with out prior knowledge, we have paid 550 Rs.

How will I send back the books and get my money... I learn that these are the regular happenings!!! Can't trust any one!!!

• Ve
      8th of Aug, 2007

Same story here. I ordered a few books and CDs online from this book club in April and these were delivered on time by VPP in the month of June. But on 06.08.07 I received a book parcel from this club. I paid the postman and got the parcel for Rs 560. I never placed such an order. I am trying to contact them but can not reach. INDIA TODAY BOOK CLUB does not respond to emails or pick up the phone. Here is the contact details:

INDIA TODAY BOOK CLUB
    B47 Indira Enclave
    Neb Sarai, New Delhi 110 068
    Tel: 011 6458 3745, 6458 3692
    email: response@indiatodaybookclub.com

Perhaps, I should not have paid the postman for shipments that I have not ordered. Lesson learned.

• Na
      14th of Aug, 2007

My husband placed an order for music cds, for 600 rupees, however they never delivered it. after 4-5 months time he received a mail, "sorry for the delay" and we received a parcel for that amount. but shocking, we received books instead of cds. I too don't know how to return these books :(after this we have received 2 more parcels which we have not even ordered. we rejected them anyway. This is too irritating, because people at home would not know about what is the parcel and will have to pay the amount and collect it. Only to be shocked by the contents inside.

• Na
      27th of Aug, 2007

Same story here. I would like to lodge a police complaint on them. Or lets go together to Neb Sarai to their office and return the books sent by them.

Best Regards,
    Narendra.

• De
      14th of Sep, 2007

Pl. contact Neha.kant@intoday.com to get ur money back from India Today Book club

• Pr
      18th of Sep, 2007

Guys:

I stumbled upon this complaint board just as I was about to make my first purachse with the BI Book Club!

My sympathies with you all, and many thanks for being proactive.
    It comes on us all to raise awareness about the pathetic state of business affairs wherever we encounter them - Private companies, Govt. enterprises etc.

I know from experience that this works! :)

-Prasad

• Vi
      16th of Feb, 2009

India Today is a reputed business group. However, their bookclub is into unethical marketing activities. But these are the ways in which you can counter attack them!

I recd an email from this book club offering certain goods online for Rs. 499/- and while ordering the goods, they had taken a consent that they would send their books through VPP without placing any orders, and if I do not wish to receive the books, I can reject the parcel.

1. Since then I have given instructions to all the family members at home to reject every VPP parcel. That's the way you can protect your interest.

2. I keep receiving a number of emailers for placing orders for various products along with a pre-paid business reply envelope. Each time, I stuff the envelope with all the material I received from them, and also add a number of junk papers to the envelope and post it back to them. The envelope is pre-paid, so you don't have to spend anything! :)

3. Today I received an email from them declaring me winner of certain prizes. I had to click on a button to claim the prize. I went ahead, and entered address & contact numbers of Prabhu Chawla - who is the Chief Editor of the India Today Group (available on their website). Then in the credit card details - entered junk numbers and alphabets. At the end, it still generated an Order Number stating that they would contact me to confirm the order. The page also had a text box to refer email ids of other friends! I used this golden opportunity to enter email id's of all the India Today Group's editors (names available on their website, you can guess their ids such as name.surname@indiatimesgroup.com), and whatever other ids I could obtain from google search, and wild guesses.

If all of us start using such counter attack techniques, the group will have to start behaving more responsible.