IKEA / assembly costs

United States, California, Covina Review updated:
Before I purchased the Besta TV entertainment center wall unit, I asked
about assembly, because I knew I could never do it myself. I was told by an IKEA employee, who had my "shopping list" in front of her, that it would be 10-20% of the purchase price. Okay, I could handle that, so I made the purchase, loaded the flat-bed carts to save on delivery charges, loaded my car, and drove home. I was too pooped to unload the car, so I got out the two business cards the IKEA employee gave me - little blue and yellow business cards that IKEA had an "arrangement with." When I got through to them, I was informed that it's NOT a percentage of the purchase price, you're charged by the PIECE. He said it would cost $385 for them to assemble the wall unit that cost $868. When I called IKEA to complain about being misled about the costs of assembly, they said, oh, you should have looked into that before you made the purchase. I guess speaking to the IKEA employee isn't checking into it? I got, oh, we don't have any control over those outside assembly people. Funny, the little blue and yellow business cards are passed out at IKEA and say "IKEA-certified installer" on them and I was told at IKEA that I would be charged 10-20%. I think it's a scam. They know darn good and well that if they told you it would cost HALF of the purchase price to get the darn thing assembled, you wouldn't buy their complicated furniture items in the first place.

N  16th of Apr, 2009 by
If you are too dumb to know how to screw pieces of wood together, you shouldn't have bought it to begin with.
A  13th of Sep, 2009 by
It's true, IKEA stores generally tend to give out names of uninsured, unlicensed individuals to their customers. They are generally unprofessional and expensive. We used a local furniture assembly company to assemble our furniture and the service was reasonable and professional. We notified IKEA in Charlotte about them and they were very unresponsive to our findings. These "special" relationships between contractors and stores like Ikea, Crate and Barrel, Staples, Office Depot, ETC. are very disturbing as no one seems to have any control over the contractor they are referring you to.

We found that if the store recommends them "stay away" and find someone else.

Customer Care Service