IHOP / unacceptable

MasterCard's Merchant Rules prohibit merchant's from requiring identification to process a credit card transactions on signed credit cards. After dining at IHOP I provided my MasterCard for payment and was asked for ID, which I declined. They asked for another form of payment as their "policy" required ID. I told them I had no other form of payment and was threatened with arrest for 'dine and dash' and 'theft of service.' Until my wife finally paid. Unacceptable, Merchant should know the rules.

Va

Comments

• El
      13th of Jul, 2008

Mastercard should not make a ruling like that, unless your picture is on the card. Cashiers are not hand writing experts, which means anyone could use your card. I welcome any place of bussiness asking for my ID.

9th of Jun, 2009

I agree. If the cardholder wishes to show their picture ID with each card use, why not simply write 'Check ID' on the back of the card?

I don't believe you signed a waiver before you dined agreeing to live up to their credit card/ ID policies. Perhaps these should be served with the menus??

• Wh
      9th of Jun, 2009

You should be thankful they (IHOP) have that policy in place.

It protects you as the consumer. With all the identy theft and credit card fraud going on in the world, an ID check is the first step measure enuring the name on the card matches the ID and the picture resembles (however vaguely) the person attemting the tansaction.

A restaurant (or business) pays a fee for each credit card transaction, so in effect they are accepting less than the full amount transmitted. If a fraudulent transation has occured it is charged back to the restaurant (or business). They lose the money.

When a business accumulates losses above a tolerated amount they usually pass that on to the consumer in increased costs.

Would you have complained if someone had used your card and IHOP had not checked ID?

11th of Mar, 2010

A merchant has the right to ask to see ID any time they want. I worked at a major credit card co for 20 years in the fraud investigation department. I WISHED more merchants would have asked for ID cause it would have saved the company I worked for tons of $$.

Per merchant agreement the merchants are supposed to veri the signature on the back of the card matches the signature on the sale---just how many times do merchants even bother to look anymore?

I write "check photo id" in sharpie on the back of all my credit cards (debit cards too) and highlight that. I get asked id occasionally which I am thankful for.

• Sw
      6th of Mar, 2011

I have experienced the management at store 95 in Lake Wales to be very rude. She talks to them any kind of way like they are 2 year olds. I am so surprised to see people get treated like this and nothing is done about it. These servers are here for the customers. Without them there is no running a store. I am very upset. Some management take their authority to far.

• Sw
      6th of Mar, 2011

Someone has got to go into the Hwy 60 store in Lake Wales. The servers wash dishes. How unsanitary is this. Instead they are to cheap to hire full time dish washers. I am sick of companies not providing enough help in their business. They are just concerned about the funds of the business and saving money. Instead of paying for what the customers want. I have been into the 95 store and you have the Regional and store Manager talking to an employee like they are nothing and something should do something about. You don't treat people like crap. They help bring you business. How can you think your above everyone when you don't know how to deal with people.