Idearc / Verizon Superpages / free trial scam!

Idearc telemarketing liars are selling very expensive internet or Super Pages listings using phony free trial offer. After you agree to a free trial, they start billing immediately and they refuse to cancel. I can give anyone details of this scam, just send me e-mail if you are a victim of these crooks.

Ja

Comments

• Je
      9th of Jul, 2007

We have the same problem. We sent the notice of cancellation and they claim they never received it. We've been fighting with them for some time. But the bill just keeps coming with the increase about. We were promised great returns. We have not made one dime off the advertisement.

• Si
      30th of Aug, 2007

I've been scammed! That's why I searched and found this complaint site. Can't we do something collectively? Like send a letter of complaint to the company?

• Ge
      5th of Oct, 2007

File complaint with Attorney General of Texas, Consumer protection division. (Texas is state where Idearc HQ is located) Then file complaint with FTC. Forms are available on respective web sites. The more complaints filed the better chance of action taken against them.

ALSO if demands of payment for something you did not request are sent to you in the mail file a mail fraud complaint with the USPS, also available on their web site. The more complaints filed this way the better chance of stopping them.

• Di
      6th of Oct, 2007

I have been frustrating and fighting with Verizon Super Pages and Idearc Media since Oct. 2004. Installing my business phone supposedly gave me free internet listing( I didn't even have a computer then). My first bill sid "This is not an invoice"-I immediately called and concelled when they said I would be charged. Then every month for the next 3 years, I got invoices marked "This is not an invoice"-Every time I called-they said disregard-the bills are artomatic until ...so I disregarded them. Any way, I tried for hours and hours aevery couple of monthes to call someone or get a name tao write to. impossible: then I gest a call from a collector! Ane now frustrating lestters and calls from a new collector company. Help. I have kept records of invoicses and phonecalls, names addresses and responsed. Tsellme what to do? Any suggesstions. I worked hard to have good credit. My business ended this year(Art gallery and Frame).l All my advertising was done with a local paper for trade of sservicses. I might go to small claims court if I find my credit is wrecked. Diane

• Ca
      22nd of Oct, 2007

Has been 11 months and I still trying to cancel my account with IDEARC MEDIA. They refuse to cancel my account and keep charging me.

Now they sent me a letter saying that I am going to collection.
    I paid full the first month DEC 08/2006 and DEC 11/2006 I called the sales person, customer service and sales director, they keep transferring me and they say they don't understand why my service wasn't been canceled, next month another bill and an e-mail saying that "per MY request my account has been upgraded".

The sales person WILLY BONG does not work there anymore and I can't cancel my service, now I canceled my credit card and the bills still coming. I am very tired of this. I sent so many e-mails and called people to cancel this service that I got NOTHING in return not even a single call or e-mail. No business at all!!!
    IDEARC is a very bad idea!!!

• Sh
      22nd of Oct, 2007

I (dumb) believed there was a free listing two years ago. A sales person called and talked me into a trial pay per click on my add. She said I could cancel at any time. After my credit card got charged for 3 months and I got no results from the add, I cancelled the service. I cancelled it by email, by mail, and by phone. They continued to charge me. I cancelled over and over. They continued to steal from my credit card. So, I cancelled the credit card. Then they sent bills to me by mail. They all said "This is not an invoice" so I ignored them. Then they sent a letter threatening me with a collection service that would wreck my credit rating. I called and begged them to leave me alone. They said if I just sent one final check that that would be the end of it. So I did, just to make the whole thing go away. Guess what? They are still sending me notices and threatening me. They should be ashamed. They are frauds, lairs, and bullies.

• Pa
      27th of Oct, 2007

I requested twice to the telemarketers to non renew my advertisement, as I am retired. These requests were way in advance of the new directory being published. Guess what? The new book came out and my ad was in it and I called on two occasions after that to complain and it is like talking to the wall. They both just repeated that it was up to me to cancel the ad before it "automatically renewed". There was no notice at all and the two telemarketers that called to sell me more advertising as in every other year in the past, were told in no uncertain terms that I am retired and do not sell insurance any more. You can bet that everyone that calls (if any) will be told this story and that they should throw the directory in the trash.

• Bi
      1st of Nov, 2007

Totally agree. I was scammed. I am suing them in Small Claims court after a BBB complaint (which is a sham org for BIG business to rinse their dirty laundry) did nothing and they blind-sided me with a collection. I paid them off, now I'm suing them for the balance.

Advise, gather ALL docs then seek the help of your local Small Claims Court. Most have an adviser to help you. Don't let them get you rip-off.

If anyone has some HELPFUL ADVISE I'd love to take a look!

14th of Nov, 2007

I signed on with Verizon in December of 03 for web hosting. I again signed contracts in 12/04 and 12/05. In early Jan. 06 I knew I had had enough of Verizon and was anxiously awaiting the end of 2006 when my contract was up so I could sign on with a new web host. When my contract finally ended in 12/06 I tried to contact my Verizon rep to inform him I wished to terminate services with Verizon. My rep never returned my numerous phone calls. I then notified Verizon customer service and spent endless hours on the phone on numerous occasions trying to close my account. Customer Service repeatedly promised to close my account and contact my rep but never did anything. My website was transferred to another hosting company in Feb 06 and Verizon just kept billing me. I continued to receive bills for 5 months. I was on the phone to these idiots every month and nothing ever got resolved. Then, “out of the blue” in June of 2007 I received a check from Verizon for $148 for “credit on my account.” Then in October 07 the bills started again.

I now have my lawyer working on the situation and just found out that my Verizon Rep is claiming I gave my consent during phone call with him in July of 06 to renew my contract for another year. Verizon claims that if a customer agrees by phone to renew a contract then the contract is binding. This of course is an out and out lie. First of all I never spoke to my rep in July 07 and secondly, there is no way I would have asked to renew my contract because I was already totally fed up & disgusted with Verizon. Their employees seem to hide their total incompetence with a sickening sort of politeness to the customer….and their phony slogan: “At Verizon, we never stop working for you!” What a crock! Whenever I wanted anything done on my web site they’d either promise to do it and not do it right; not do it at all, or, they would total screw things up. (But I won’t go into that dimension of my dissatisfaction any further for now). I am, to put it mildly…enraged. Oh, and by the way, when I was under contract with these crooks I always paid my bills in a timely manner.

If anyone feel so inspired to connect with me in regards to your experience with Verizon I would be thrilled to hear from you and find out what might have worked for you. If nothing has worked yet, we can at least commiserate with each other! My lawyer is working on this and I’m also planning to contact the FTC, Department of Consumer Affairs and Attorney General’s Office in my state which is NY.

Good luck to all of you on your dilemmas with this Crooked Evil Corporation.

• Pa
      24th of Nov, 2007

Idearc employee who’s job is on the chopping block! Customers are not the only people being screwed by Idearc. Recently over half the graphic artists that Idearc employs in Pennsylvania will be let go in a forced layoff. The lost jobs will now be new jobs to folks in India! Who in India will be buying your products or services advertised in the Verizon Super pages?

Idearc upper management choose to blatantly squander investor dollars on redundant internet startup’s as Idearc investors watch announcements like. InfoSpace, Inc. today announced that its Board of Directors has approved a special cash distribution of $9.00 per share, or approximately $300 million. This follows the completion of the sale of its online directory business to Idearc Inc. (NYSE:IAR) for $225 million in cash. Idearc stock value has dropped 50% in the last three months, gee I wonder how come?

It’s very clear that Idearc Upper management is out of touch with it customers, investors, and employees, and is using the revenue from the print side of the house to fund an internet venture that is clearly a train wreck, based on lies and deception!

Idearc business practices should be investigated!

• Sm
      28th of Nov, 2007

I am the executive director of a non-profit agency and I am having the same problems with Idearc. They have told me that I agreed to advertising with them, they have scammed me by saying that I agreed over the phone to their contract. There is no way that I would ever agree to double my price to advertise in Verizon!!! I am so upset, they keep charging me interest and calling our phone number constantly berating my staff. I am furious!! I plan on filing with the attorney general and consumer protection. I asked them for an address to cancel and they told me that they are unable to give me that information!! Give me a break!!

• Fr
      30th of Nov, 2007

Very Very unhappy with Idearc Media. How a company can be aloud to take such advantage of people is beyond me.I never ever agreed to any advertising with this company what so ever and continue to be billed every month for something I didn't want.I like to know if there is away for all unhappy customers to get together on the web and go after these scam artists.If there is away to bombard these people with complaints I would more than interested to know.

• Th
      20th of Dec, 2007

I too am in the battle with Idearc. The salesman told me that my ad would be up in a few days and on the front page listings but not at the top. The ad didn't show up during the trial period. I called and the operator said they "hadn't built my site yet." I then sent them written (fax, mail, and email) and of course verbally requested them to cancel my contract for non-performance. Their contract stated that they did not have to publish my advertising until they did publish it, which would make the contract unenforceable until publishing. That night, AFTER my e-mail and fax, their company sent an e-mail at 4 a.m. saying the site was now up and running. They keep sending bills with each balance hundreds higher in spite of my attorney sending them a cease and desist letter. Please let's all band together in a class action suit.

6th of Jan, 2008

WHY DONT WE ALL GET TOGETHER IN A CLASS ACTION LITIGATION AGAINST VERIZON FOR FOLENIOUS IMPROPER CUSTOMER SERVICES.SUE FOR DAMAGES.DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTACT THEM FOR CANCELLATION "IDEARC"(COMBINED LITIGATION AGAINST VERIZON) .

6th of Jan, 2008

HOW ABOUT CONTACTING ATTORNEY GENERAL U.S.A. NOT TEXAS ATTORNEY GENERAL GOVERNMENT

http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm CONTACT GOV FTC

• Ti
      10th of Jan, 2008

I am having the same problem. We have tried to cancel this 5 times. Once in Feb 07, and then I called in October 07 and was told to cancel in writing. So I faxed a letter of cancellation of our account twice. Once in October 07 and again in November 07. Then last week I e-mailed them to make sure that it was canceled and told them about the previous steps I took to cancel the account.

Someone from Idearc wrote back and told me that someone was looking into my account and that they would get back to me. I still have not heard anything and don't think I will be hearing anything. Now, I just got off the phone with someone who was very rude to me. She told me she saw the notes where I requested the account to be canceled back in Feb and Oct, but it's still not canceled. There were no notes about the faxing of my cancellation letters. She told me there was nothing she could do. She said that I need to cancel before May 08 before the books come out. I told her that I have tried to cancel. What else could I do? She said she couldn't help me and she would not give me her full name either. In one of my letters I even asked that someone e-mail me to confirm that they did receive my cancellation letters. What kind of a scam is Idearc running? Has anyone been able to cancel their account with success? Can anyone give me advice? I am desperate.

Tina

• Fo
      10th of Jan, 2008

e-mail the President - Kathy Harless (she may or may not use her middle initial , try both )~

kathy.j.harless@idearc.com or kathy.harless@idearc.com

Make sure to include your Idearc account number or business telephone number & how you can be contacted.

Also, send registered letters to local sales office requesting cancellation. All cancellations must be in writing 10 days prior to the directory closing date.

FYI ~ all paid advertising MUST be authorized one of three ways - Customer signature required on all advertising over $400.00 per month. Under $400, either signature or a third party verification w/you the owner on the line. If paid advertisers are unable to be reached & a certified letter was sent to you, Idearc can renew your advertising if you do not respond within the alloted time.

You can demand to speak to management & request proof & validation of your sig, 3rd party verification or the certified letter. All paperwork is required to be doc imaged. Get in touch with the General Sales Manager of your local office or the Exec VP & voice your complaint. They will listen & take care of your issues.

I hope this helps...... a former employee

• Be
      12th of Jan, 2008

First off i never signed up for anything just ended up with a $566 hold on my checking acct and it now became a charge for $66 which both my debit cards have since been canceled which means i have to wait 7-10 business days to get cards again and the charge went through again... i don't have a webpage or any advertising and am currently unemployed yet my bank says they don't know who it was that charged me and how... how is this possible since they have to be sending the money electronically somehow don't they... and it eventually ends up somewhere... at some merchant

I figure they charge 1000's of people and hope at least half don't notice... nice scam...

• Js
      31st of Jan, 2008

another unhappy customer... I get charged almost $700 a month and i get nothing out of it. I cant cancel either for another year. i want to die! these people are total scam artist.