Hyundai South Africa / misrepresented warranty

South Africa Review updated:

I took delivery of a Hyundai Terracan 2.9 CRDi Automatic on 12 December 2007 from Aggenbag Motors, Anderson Street, Klerksdorp, North West Province, RSA. Delivery was effected at Lydenburg, Mpumlanga, RSA. Prior to and uppon delivery I was guaranteed by the sales department of said business that the vehicle is being sold with the new EXTENDED warranty of 5 years or 150, 000 km applicable to all new Hyundai vehicles bought/sold after October 2007. I have proof of this in the form of an e-mail dated 06 December 2007; the Warranty page in the Service Passport has been changed in writing to read that the applicable waranty is 5 years or 150, 000 km; and, even the Enrolment Form pertaining to the maintenance plan applicable to the vehicle (apparently, mistakenly) indicate that the service and maintenance plan applicable is for the period of 5 years or 150, 000 km. I was afterwards telephonically informed that the latter enrolment form was wrongly completed by the sales person, since the standard maintenance plan is only for 3 years or 60, 000 km. I was again told that the warranty would be for 5 years or 150, 000 km, but that the maintenance plan would only run for 3 years or 60, 000 km. Although dissatisfied about the wrong completion of the enrolment form for the maintenance plan, which, to my mind, actually provides for a binding contract between myself and Associated Motor Holdings (Pty) Ltd, I have at that stage decided not to pursue the matter further. I was however during my penultimate service under the maintenance plan advised that, since the vehicle was what is known as a "pre-reg", and since it has already been registered on the system some time before delivery, the warranty on my vehicle is only for 3 years or 100, 000 km and expires on 30 October 2010. This is quite contrary to the explicit guarantee that Aggenbag Motors gave me concerning the warranty, even after I querried that fact when I was informed that the vehicle is a "pre-reg" and must therefore be registered as a 2007 Model. to my mind, this guarantee, both verbally and in writing by agents authorised to deal in Hyundai vehicles and, the advertisements that have been run by Hyndai SA at the time when I bought this vehicle that "all new vehicles bought after 1 October 2007 carry a warranty of 5 years or 150, 000 km, establishes a binding contract between Hyundai Sa and myself that the applicable warranty would be for that period, and not only for 3 years or 100, 000 km. You are kindly requested to investigate and review the matter and to set the record on the system straight that the warranty is 5 years or 150, 000 km, to expire on 31 December 2012, while the maintenance plan (as I concede) is for 3 years or 60, 000 km, to expire on 30 October 2010. My particulars are
Mr AA Lamprecht; e-mail [protected]@telkomsa.net or [protected]@justice.gov.za; VIN no KMHNM81XR6U217649; Engine no J3931081.

Comments

• Be
      Nov 30, 2009

Subject: Hyundai I 10 - Complaint

Good Morning,

I hereby note a concern about a problem that I am currently experiencing with your branch situated in Boksburg.

During May 2009, I purchased a Hyundai I 10 from your Boksburg branch.

As you are aware the I 10 is issued with a factory fitted radio. Soon after I took delivery in May, I contacted the Boksburg branch to inform them that my vehicle’s radio kept cutting out. I took the vehicle in and I was told that it was repaired.

After a couple of days the radio started cutting out again. To date I have taken the vehicle in for this problem for SIX times with no avail.

During this period i have dealt with Gavin James and Stuart . They have both assurred me upon numerous occassions that the new radios were placed in my vehicle, but during a discussion with staff at Boksburg i was informed that each time my vehicle went in for repairs, repaired radios were placed in my vehicle.

I am addressing this mail to you as I am totally frustrated as each time I had to take time of work to take the vehicle in and I would like to have the matter resolved ASAP.

My expectation when buying a brand new vehicle was that I would not experience any problems like this.

Regards,

P Clarke-Northmore/Bernadette Tonsingà hymax2602 [mailto:[protected]@mweb.co.za]
    Tel: 083-5582826

WORK: 087-7542630

• Cs
      Jan 27, 2010

Help Please.

I bought a brand new Tusan at the end of October 2009 from the Hyundai dealer in Rustenburg in the North West province. In December 2009 the vehicle motor started to make a noise, I took it to the Hyundai dealers repair shop and the mechanic told me that I must keep on driving it till it pack up. I mean this is a new car and is costing me an arm and a leg.

So I drove it for another few days and then toke it to the dealer (manager of dealer ship) he also told me that I must drive it till it packs up. We were planning to go to the Kruger National Park the next day, I drove the car till just out of Rustenburg and it sounded it the motor is going to fall out or something. We turned back and I took the car to them. They arranged for me to use another car (not a Tusan), I have been driving it for the last month now and is not any further with an answer.

I feel that they must give me a new car and not fix my one. If there is anyone that can help me please contact me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint and waiting to hear form you.

Corrie Chadinha
    (082 293 0007 or [protected]@pro-plus-trading.co.za

• Na
      Jan 28, 2010

Good afternoon,
    My son bought a brand new Geely from Hyundai from the dealer in Phalaborwa last week and has just heard today that there is no warranty on the car. Is this correct? Does the South African law not state that it is at least a 1 year warranty on any vehicles? Please advise.

• Gl
      Feb 18, 2010

During the second week of December I bought an i20 from Hyundai in Durban Central. I am very thrilled with my car. Up until the time my car was ordered, the customer service I received was wonderful and prompt. From the time I had paid for the car the customer service went out of the window.

I have since had someone call me to check on how I feel about Hyuandai etc and I asked them if someone can please get back to me about my query.

I will not go into details about the crappy customer service I received, but I am still impatiently waiting for someone to get back to me on my query: Hyandai are offering to up the 3 year service warranty to 5 years if an i20 is purchased before March 2010. Seeing as I bought my car three weeks before the promotion started and seeing as Hyuandai need to rectify the bad customer service I received, I requested that my service warranty get increased to 5 years. The car salesman and manager said they would get back to me and I am still waiting two months later! Plus I asked the lady who interviewed me over the phone and nobody has bothered to come back to me with an answer.

Hopefully someone from Hyuandai can please be courteous enough to reply to my query

Many thanks
    Glyn

[protected]@durban.gov.za

• Cl
      May 10, 2010

I have bought a huyndai I 10 and also battle with the radio that keeps on cutting out. I have sent my car in twice now and
    every time they say that they cant find the problem. What is the problem with the radio's cant huyndai replace it with something that works at least. it is realy annoying when you want to travel a far road with no music.

Please can someone let me know what the problem is.

Thanks.
    Claire.
    011 724 8545

• El
      Oct 27, 2010

I have repetedly trie d to get a simle hand book that should come with my 2005 tuscan without any joy from the local
    agents please can you tell me how i may obtain one of the books as at the moment i think the sevice from HYUNDAI STINKS
    nobody even comes back to to let you know what is happening, so could you please avise me where i go to from here.

Many thanks

Dave

• Be
      Mar 30, 2011

HYUNDAI STINKS

• He
      Jul 19, 2011

My Radio, my service warranty, my car is shuddering after fixing wheel balancing and alignment three times, new tyres and brakes. I bought my car in 2007, replaced the radio in 2009 due to an “error 2” now two years later exactly the same thing is happening and now I must fix it myself – WHY???? My service warranty was also without warning finished – instead of them sending a letter to say “time for a renewal of what the hell ever”. I send emails about my radio and a just ignored. – had it

• Da
      Jun 03, 2016
    Hyundai South Africa - No parts for service completion
    Welyevreden Park
    Roodepoort
    South Africa

My car has been with Hyundai, Weltevreden Park since Tuesday last week. In addition to my service I asked for other items to be checked. On Tuesday they came back to me for authority to go ahead. I paid the full amount for the service and repairs by EFT. I was then advised, when I asked if I could pick my car up that afternoon, that they had a problem in that they did not have all the parts. It could take 3 days to get them. My car would be ready by Friday. Friday came and no phone call so I phoned them. Sorry the parts have not arrived. Spoke to the dealer principle who said he would look into it and come back to me. Late on Friday afternoon I phoned again. Sorry, the parts have not come you will have to wait until Monday. Monday, today, I waited for a call. No call by lunchtime so I phoned. Sorry no parts yet. I asked the lady why they can't go and fetch them. She was obviously embarrassed and uncomfortable. By 5 o'clock this afternoon NO CALL from them. They don't even have the decency to keep their customer up to date. Tomorrow is going to be interesting.!!!