Hughesnet.com / wrongful debit

1 p.o.box 1573 trinity, texas 75862trinity texas 75862, United States Review updated:
Phone: 936-662-2464

On or around June 25, 2008 I called HughesNet Commications, and ordered service for my home. My wife and I are on a very tight and very limited income I'm on Social Security and we made an effort to set aside $69.00 for service and installation, and the lady that took my order did not tell me of the hundreds of dollars that it would cost.
So lo and behold (15) minutes after the installer left my credit card sent me a message that $509.41 had been debited from my account. I ordered the special they were advertising and it states that (0) down and we would be charged $79.00 dollars a month for a period of 24 months. And installation was free as long as the installer did not have to put a pole in the ground for the dish, which he did not have to. Anyway after (39) phone calls and (39) headaches since July 1, 2008 when the service began I was promised by representative's of the company and Supervisor's that this matter would be taken care of with the utmost urgency, so what began was an innocent act of trying to simplify matters of cutting the high cost of internet service and regular phone service and just have one bill. But when you have to go through the embarrassing process of being degraded and talked to like we were the one's at fault, well I hope to make a stand, with the folks out there that try to live on $945.00 a month then someone decides to kindly help themselves to your money, then there is something wrong with our system. Oh just remember when you make phone calls and the recording says this call may be monitored for quality assurance, and ask them to play it back for you we tried but when they reviewed my initial conversation and they felt like they were Justified in their decision to charge me all the charges, but refused to play it back or send me proof., So as they say lesson learned. One last thing if you decide to terminate your service they charge $ 300.00 dollars for early termination and $ 210.00 installation fee. Do the Math and remember do Business remember to have your lawyer on retainor.

Comments

• To
      30th of Sep, 2008

Our modem died and we called to have it replaced. The installer said that they no longer used the old modem and we would have to pay for an upgrade. He needed a credit card and my wife gave him hers. The account had originally been on my card. That was in November. Nearly a year later my wife and I were comparing notes and noticed that was Hughesnet had been charging both credit cards for the same service. Upon calling we were told that we had two accounts and they were charging us for both. We were told that we had to have an upgrade and that it needed to be charged to our credit card right then and there. We were led to believe that they were transferring the charge from one card to another. I guess because they had the two credit card numbers they could charge both of them under the ruse that we hadn't canceled the account charged on the original credit card. In any other circumstance this would be call credit card fraud and that it how we are approaching it. Master Card, FCC, FTC, BBB, and our attorney. They nicked us for $600 and we are willing to pay a lot more than that to pursue the matter. They get away with this because they can because nobody is willing to take it to the limit, even if it costs them more money. Thankfully I have some bucks so I'll put it down to doing my part to help put a little dent in this online... there is nothing you can do about it way we have come to accept as business as usual.

• Mi
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I have had Hughes.net for several years, with many service interruptions. Last Thursday I tried to call them to quit the service as I had it replaced with directv.net. Ive been unable to get through to have it canceled. I've been issued several caase numbers and then get transferred over and told to either call back in an hour or put on hold. I've held now for three hours on and off. It is now Monday afternoon and I find they have charged me for another month yesterday (Monday).
    This is a disgustingly lousy company.
    Mike Bonner

• Ki
      16th of Apr, 2010

My company has had 3 Hughesnet accounts for 3 years(3 seperate offices). We have recently started using air cards and wanted to cancel our hughesnet service. I called on January 26, 2010 and after an hour (Yes, an hour to cancel service) and 2 service reps (the first rep didn't have the ability to cancel services) I was told it was done. Febraury no bill from Hughes so I figured I was good to go. March credit card bill comes and lo and behold 3 charges from hughesnet for service. So, today I called hughesnet and told them what happened and they claim I never called to cancel my service. They show a call was made for our account but they have no record of it being cancelled. After 2 hours on the phone and being transfered from supervisor to supervisor. I was called a liar and hung up on. They are so crooked that instead of dealing with a problem and apologizing and offering to refund money...they just hang up on you.

In my opinion Hughes is a crooked company to deal with. They have been a pain since day 1!!!