Hughesnet Scammers / unlawful billing

1 WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-347-3292

Hughesnet has to be the biggest scammer in the world. We had successful internet connection via satellite through Direcway before it was purchased by, merged with or whatever with hughesnet. When my modem failed, I call technical support, which by the way is a two-hour ordeal with overseas telehosting. They agreed to ship me an updated modem for $25 plus a two-year plan. I received the modem and it never worked. After 8 calls to billing and 8 (two hour minimum) calls to technical support, 48 hours total of trying to make the unpgraded modem work I finally gave up. Technical support told me "there's nothing more we can do. Call Billing to cancel) Well, when you call biling to cancel, they inform you that you owe $366 for cancelling the two-year contract. I explained that the modem NEVER worked. Billing says that I have to get a return order from Tech support. Tech support, after many calls, tells me that they have no authority to issue a return order. Hence the circle continues. Now I get collection calls at my office. I run our high net worth group in a large local accounting firm and don't have time to deal with all of this. I guess that out that no one in the organization, absent perhaps the Chairman of the Board has the authority to cancel this charge. Given my work with securities, etc., I am going to start working the corporate headquarters, assuming they really have a US office. Still trying to get out of collections.

Comments

Bi
  27th of Jan, 2009

Hughesnet is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. I have the same issues as you regarding the bad modem, virtually no connection to the internet and they won't let me cancel without paying a $400 fee. I have been waiting for a service tech to come out and replace the modem for 2 weeks now. Hughesnet says they will credit me for only the number of days I was without service and nothing more. I have spent countless hours on the phone with technical support and spoken with managers in billing on numerous occasions. It is a dead end circle of frustation with no bearing in sight. I have their headquarters location and number so anyone else who has problems can contact them:

Hughes Corporate Headquarters, Hughes Network Systems, LLC
11717 Exploration Lane
Germantown, Maryland, 20876
Phone: 888-892-2434

I haven't actually tried the number but I'm pretty sure the address is correct since hughesnet management gave it to me after a 45 minute argument. They wouldn't give me the phone number which I find interesting. Believe me, this company is as bad as it gets. I have never dealt with more problems for such a long period of time