Hughesnet / poor broadband service

I've had Hughes Satellite Broadband since August 2005. I thought I would have faster connections and downloads. Not so. The connection speed is terrible. I wait and wait, usually my request is timed out. Have I called tech support? Yes, many times, and it usually improves for a bit. However they always bill on time.

Comments

• Ph
      10th of Mar, 2007

Their actual product does not remotely approach the product their ads imply. Their ads are a fraud.

The FCC should take action and force hughes to refund the cost of the equipment to anyone wishing a refund.

• Su
      20th of Apr, 2007

Their current FAP is utter garbage and I don't know how they can get away with it. When I signed up for Direcway, the agreement was that the FAP would be applied if I exceeded 20mb per hour for more than 2 to 3 hours and that the cap would only last 2 to 4 hours. Hughesnet lowered the allowance and increased the duration of the cap. Despite the fact that the webpage still said 20mb was the limit, when I called tech support they told me that the limit was actually 16mb over 4 hours. They also told me that in order to end the cap that I would have to completely stop using the internet for 8 to 12 hours before the cap would be lifted.

Now they have changed their FAP again (they did not even have the courtesy to send me an email warning) and I only found out after over half an hour of trying to load their webpage to get to the notice. They claim the raised the allowance to a whole 200mb per DAY. Not only that, but they will cap for 24 hours or MORE if you exceed the limit. Their pro plan offers something like 350mb per day which is still less than the original Direcway limit which equaled about 420mb per day. I could even have lived with the daily limit somewhat if they hadn't made it a full 24 hour cap. Even after the internet was not used for 4 hours straight (there was 0mb downloaded/uploaded) my bandwidth remained capped. It just now was uncapped so that I was able to load this.

At the very least they should offer something on the modem that reports to you what your usage has been so far and warns you if you are reaching your limit so you don't exceed it.

This is particularly frustrating to me since I take college classes online and I need to use the internet to send my homework and view my grades and such. I had several assignments that I needed to send in yesterday and I couldn't even send an email to my teacher to let her know that my internet was not working. I am going to have to go in and hand deliver my work now. May not seem like a big deal but I live way out in the woods on unpaved roads and I recently dislocated my ankle.

I'm seriously considering contacting the FCC about this but I don't know if they would do anything. The change in the FAP is infuriating.

When I upgraded to the latest modem and increased my serviceplan obligation it was under Direcway. I had no idea Hughesnet was going to screw me over like this.

Does anyone know of anywhere I could go for help on this matter? I wish hughesnet would lower their monthly bill or give me a discount for the 24 hour periods that they cap me if I happen to exceed their bs limit.

• Da
      2nd of Jun, 2007

Yes, Hughes Net is terrible. I also live in the boonies... and had to download some videos on iTunes for review... I had nearly downloaded one of the videos... 50 megs... and wham... our internet service slowed to speeds measurable in bytes per second (not kb... bytes). The service has been so slow today we could not even check the weather on weather.com... because the connections just time out. This happens all the time. We called service... they told us our DW7000 needed to be replaced. The visiting service technician said the DW7000 was fine, but that we needed to call Hughes and have them link us to a different satellite. The System Controller page always works, and always tells us everything is fine... even when the transmission speeds drop below 2 kb per second. Currently, we are running at 12 kb per second. Our previous telephone connection was typically as fast or faster than Hughes. At least the phone connection never timed out... I did not think it was possible to have connections this slow anymore... in fact, our phone internet service was faster in 1997 than the HughesNet satellite connection in 2007... and this is not a joke.

29th of Jun, 2007

fccinfo@fcc.gov

Bbove is the email link to make a general complaint about Hughes satellite service. I think that the best course of action is to flood this link with emails concerning the poor service that we are receiving. We have to take some action and not rely on the FCC stepping by themselves without our nudging them.

• Ge
      29th of Jun, 2007

Hughes.net sat service just plain sucks. Have no choice tho living in the boonies, there is no other viable option except dialup.

If you can go with comcast, do it.

• Da
      23rd of Jul, 2007
    Hughesnet / Broadband - Fair access policy

I found out about the Fair Access Policy on working the internet thought satellite broadband. My speed has been reduce cause I work the internet heavy at times. Well who do work the internet. Different company , colleague students to high school to grade students use the internet. I paying for high speed not connection not for snail speed. Hughesnet should refund all user or take this policy off all user. Oh yes all satellite company have this policy on there system cause did some looking into a few of the other companies . Need to find who made this policy and if how to stop this policy. This policy is ripping off the customer... I WANT THIS POLICY OFF MY SYSTEM I PAID FOR HIGH SPEED NOT SNAIL SPEED... OR REFUND MY MONEY.

• Ri
      26th of Oct, 2008

I am having the same problem as all of you. When we got our computers upgraded, our computer tech told us that we needed to get high speed internet before she would come do it. So we did and we got hughes net. (sadly that was the only so called "high speed internet" available.) We got hughes net not knowing that it would be like this. So when our tech came to upgrade our computers, she needed to know whether the connection was static, sticky or ppoe(?). so she called the hughes net customer support and they couldn't even tell her that. How can you have a tech support that doesn't even know about the product that they are supposed to be helping people with? i am trying to download World of Warcraft and the patch is 1.2 GB. the FAP only allows 200 Mb PER DAY!!! This service is VERY ridiculous and outragous. We have a 2 year contract and have only fulfilled half of it. someone needs to shut that company down! I can't talk about it anymore because if i do i might kick my computer screen in.

• St
      3rd of Sep, 2010

I've had problems with HughesNet from the beginning when they promised both speed and constant connectivity. (I use my connection for online college classes and even hired a technician to come to my home and check the connectivity. He said it was the internet provider.) I called the company several times and complained, and then I cancelled the service and wrote a letter. After receiving the letter, the company called me and dismissed my concerns stating that I still owed them $400 on the remaining contract for cancelling.

I had been paying automatically but had stopped that payment method several months ago. After that, until I cancelled, I'd been paying by check. Yesterday, I received an email in which THEY complained that, using my previous automatic billing information, their unauthorized $400 charge was denied. I have never received an actual invoice for the $400 nor any written response to my letter. In their email, they indicated that they had a bad billing address. (They installed equipment on my roof, all other communications (previous bills) have reached me and they have my letter - so they know where I am.)

This is obviously NOT going well. Got any ideas who I should contact next? Besides an unresponsive FCC?

• Bi
      18th of Nov, 2011

on 11/07/11 i had hughes net installed in my home, the installer tryed to charge me an extra 25 dollars for a pole to put dish on.
    now after he got everthing set up i didnt check to see if in fact the job was done (ok thats my fault)so after i got through putting my new pc desk together
    i unplug the eithernet cord from the lap top and put on the new home pc i bought/ hm nope no internet i tryed the lap top yep still no inter net. so i called tec suport and starting that day for the next 6 days i was on the phone ever day 2 to 5 hours and still no internet / i was promissed three different times of having a tec, to com to my house to fix the problem no one showed up so finaly the folling monday i canceled the plan with them they tryed to talk me out of it i told them no
    in the begening they over charge me it was suosed to be 99 dolars up front then i would be bill 30 days later for my first bill well 3 days after they got my card number
    they billed me 206.34 i put a stop to that so my advice to anyone wantting internet service stay away from hughes net inter net service they are only full of lies and will cheat u at ever turn