Hughes Net Satellite Internet / fighting for no service

1 Jefferson, TX, United States Review updated:

It sounds like I'm not the only one that has had serious problems with HughesNet. I signed up for their service the end of December, 2008. I also had problems with downloading.

My service was supposed to be buying the equipment for $20/month on top of my regular bill. On January 16, 2009, they cut off my service because they said I owed them $400 for the equipment plus the monthly fee. I called them, and they said I had to fax them a copy of the agreement, which I never got a copy of. The only thing I have is the copy of the pole installation - which cost me $135.

I have been fighting with them ever since to try to get shipping labels to send the equipment back to them. And now they've turned me in to a collection agency.

And the fight rages on . . .

I tell everyone I know not to get HughesNet. Their internet service is poor, and they're customer service is the worst I've ever seen. And I've been in other countries that aren't trained for customer service like we are in America - and the untrained were better than what I've had with HughesNet.

I hope my registering this complaint will help to save someone the struggle I'm going through with them.

Comments

• Bc
      15th of Mar, 2009

Had them for 3 yrs nd they are the worst company out there.If the wind blows, raining, snowing or just a cloudy sky the service does not work.When you call them, they are hard to understand and can't fix the problem or say your antenna needs repair and want to charged you for it.They advertise that they have fast service and fast than dailup, well they are not and I think dailup is faster than my hughsnet service.Far as I am concern hughsnet is garbage.

• Be
      22nd of Mar, 2009

I also have HughesNet...I might just as well have dial up. I have called customer support and basically was told it was my problem now since I signed a contract. We live in the country and are unable to get cable or fios. I can't wait until my contract runs out...I am done with HughesNet...does anyone else no a provider that is honest and cares about the service their customers get? I would like to start looking for another provider...if anyone knows a provider please email me at Bevrlee44@aol.com

• Br
      30th of May, 2009

I am also in a battle with Hughes net. I have had horrible internet service for years. It was getting ridiculous, butting I had to have a day to be able to talk to the techs in India, which never helped so it was always my last resource. Can we talk about the uploading at 3am, I had no knowledge of Fair access rule until I violated it a few times with OS upgrades. In the last year it has just been a nightmare to do anything online. I was told if I upgraded my service it would be fixed. If I upgraded I had to agree to another year of service. The upgrade never worked. I want to get out from under them as fast as I can. I went to Verizon for a trial thirty day run with their air card. I forgot how nice it is not to time out with my bank and not get dropped every five minutes. Shame on Hughes net.
    Here is the address to the main office
    Hughes Network Systems
    11717 Exploration Lane
    Germantown, MD 20876
    ATTN: Customer Service
    Acct #_____________
    Verizon has the answer for me I am still in the trial period but I already see the difference. AND its cheaper! I have a local store to go to if I have a problem, not some hard to understand guy in India named "Steve" I don't see how in the world they can run their commercial about being fast, Verizon kicked their butt. I live in a very remote area and I thought Hughes was my only option. I have a guest with the aircard and it worked fine here. I can't stand dealing with Hughes and I hope I never have to again.
    Brenda

• Ar
      2nd of Jun, 2009

Hughesnet is the most disgusting, incompetent, uncaring company I have ever had to deal with EVER. They know that most of the people who contract for their "service" have no other options for Internet access, so they do whatever they please with no regard to their customers. I am currently embroiled in yet another issue with their technical support with no end in sight. They refuse to deal with the evidence but prefer to circumvent the problem. Yesterday they sent out a techy, who drove 100 miles to my residence with no replacement parts. Now I get to wait another 3-5 business days to set up another appointment. Why aren't these people working for the government where their stupidity would be more appreciated?

• Tr
      18th of Jun, 2009

You know, I just remembered when I initially called to set up the installation the lady told me that for an additional charge, I could have speedy service. For some reason I just thought that was unneccessary. LOL!!! That was the last time I spoke to an American.

• Ba
      5th of Sep, 2009

well i have hughes net and the very first day i had it i couldn't do aything so i called customer service and they said i had exceeded my bandwith and i hadn't downloaded or uploaded anything the only thing that was downloaded was what the tech downloaded but they said it was from my computer and it was also done when noone was home i think hughes net is a rip off just like wildblue