Hotwire.com / crooked

1 655 Montgomery St Ste 600San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866 468-9473

How can a business legally charge for a service if the customer is not able to use that service? In a situation when your travel plans are canceled which is out of your control. And they say they have the right to still charge you the full amount. That is not legal, or should not be legal. They also tell you that you will get a cheaper price. But when you get your final statement after hitting the reserve button, you find out it you just saved $3.00 over reserving through a car rental their self.
Hotwire.com should not be allowed to have in their agreement "No cancelations or changes" Which no one ever reads or expects to have such a crooked way of doing business. What is legal about recieving money for services not received?

Also Hotwire.com is owned by Expedia.com so they are one and the same.

Comments

• Ky
      31st of May, 2008

Why shouldn't they be allowed to have the agreement? Ever put a deposit down on a building for a wedding reception? You know why those deposits are nonrefundable? Because by holding it for you, they lose the opportunity to make money from other people! If you book something and then cancel it with hotwire it's the same for car rental agency. And if you don't read their terms of use it is absolutely nobody's fault but your own.
    You seem like the type of person to me who would park in a no parking zone and then whine for hours about getting a citation, trying to justify your ignorance of the law by saying that "nobody reads those stupid no parking signs". You indicated to hotwire that you had read and understood the terms and conditions of the rental (which were presented briefly and in size 12 front, with parts even being in bold on the very same page where you enter your billing information). This means that you are now bound by them. Your rampant narcissism will not get you out of it. Also, their rates can vary from extremely discounted to slightly discounted, it just depends on the situation.

• Sp
      5th of Jul, 2008

I tried to book a hotel reservation for Everett, WA for July 2008. These clowns would NOT take my credit card from my credit union because they were concerned about "preventing" fraud. I called my credit card company and they stated there were no charges or"concerns" on my account and they did not require the disclosure of my SS# or birthdate to complete the transaction. Hotwire.com originally wanted me to confirm my SS number and my birthdate to complete the transactions. I REFUSED.

I called Hotwire.com and they said I would need to provide ANOTHER credit card in order to complete the transaction. I REFUSED and told them to take a hike. Seems to me these people are not complying with the offers that they are advertising. Seems like a bait and switch practice and these unethical people should be fired, charged by a state DA and put out of business. BEWARE people, don't give out your SS# or birthdate to anyone except maybe the IRS, your local tax board and the Social Security Administration...