Home Decorators Collection, Inc / Rude customer service

United States Review updated:

I should have known from the first that this was going to be a bad experience. I walked into their Alpharetta, GA store in April and was ignored for the entire time I was there. This was a Friday afternoon--they were not even remotely busy enough to justify ignoring a client. I had employees walk right by me without even making eye contact.
I argued with myself all weekend, but I'd been looking for furniture for a few months and really only liked the stuff at Home Decorators. I called the store that Monday and spoke with the GM, Melissa, and told her my concerns for spending close to $1000 on two pieces of furniture when I couldn't even get a simple "hi" out of her sales people. She apologized profusely and offered me free shipping or free install. I bite. I had the double wide Mansard bookcase sent to my home (free) and the Mansard coffee table sent to the store for a free install.
Even more exciting everything was delivered that Friday (4/13). Unfortunately, the coffee table they put together was faulty so they had to order a new one for me. I hauled the 2x90lbs boxes into my house only to find out after opening the boxes that instead of sending me box A and box B of the bookcase, they sent me two box As. Please bear in mind, my house was in total chaos since I had had to move the old furniture out for the new furniture (supposedly) arriving that Friday.
On 4/14 I spoke to Jefferey the asst. mgr at the store and told him what happened and how unhappy I was by both my orders being screwed up. He apologized, said he'd order me box B and refund me 40%. He also told me that I had to rebox the second box A and that they would mail me a return UPS shipping label.
On 4/17, I called the customer service 800# to find out the tracking number for my re-ordered coffee table. I was told that even though the original was broken that they were not expediting the shipping but sending it out by truck to the store. By this time, I was quite upset by everything that had happened and my numerous phone calls. Jamie, a customer service manager, offered me $50 off the coffee table (the current promo going on) for my troubles.
On 4/18 I checked the UPS site which said that my box B had been delivered to my home. Of course there was no 90lb box waiting for me when I got home. Beyond aggravated, I called the store again and spoke to Andrea, another asst. mgr., and explained that my box was not there. After many phone calls between her, UPS and HD corporate office, she called me back and offered me 40% my coffee table, as they had already discounted the bookcase 40%.
I now have all my furniture and it looks great. However, I had to call the 800# on 4/26
and spoke to Brandy because a) I still have the original second box A, and b) I never received the $50 credit promised on 4/17. She said she'd get them both taken care of.

Today is 5/7 and I still have the original second box A, and b) I never received the $50 credit promised on 4/17. I just called the 800# (again!!) and spoke to a customer service manager, Kristin, who has just told me that I wouldn't be getting the promised $50 discount because I got the additional 40% taken off my order on 4/18--her reasoning being that the 4/18 discount was larger than the $50 discount which then negates it. I told her that I was promised the $50 and if there was a problem that I should have been told on 4/26.

As you can see, I've had nothing but difficulties from day one with HD. I appreciate the attempts that they've made to straighten out the situation and to make me happy, but I don't appreciate, after everything I've gone through, the remaining $50 promise being so rudely rescinded.

Ca

Comments

• Ca
      9th of May, 2012

Within half hour of submitting this to this website and mailing it to the corp execs at Home Depot (the owners of Home Decorators) I received calls from two different people anxious to help me solve this problem.

They more than exceeded my expectations and all is well. cah925, Roswell, GA