Hewlett Packard / tech support/possible scam

1 Round Rock, TX, United States Review updated:

My HP Office Pro 8600 printer quit working between printing things about 5 minutes apart. I went to the website and started chatting with someone. She explained that I needed to give her my phone number and someone would call me. I did, and a woman, who's first language was not English, called me. I followed her instructions, and without asking me or telling me what she was doing, suddenly she had control of my computer. She did various things before telling me that several "foreign" entities were all using my wi-fi.
When I asked her what to do, she told me I needed to get a firewall between all the entities that were on my wi-fi. I asked her what this would cost, and she put a listing on my computer screen for $799.00! I hung up and turned my computer off. I don't know if H-P is going into the scamming business, but it was their website help that connected me with that person.
Now, I can't use my HP printer with that computer. I also cannot find any way to email a complaint to HP!

Ke
May 31, 2018

Comments

• Tf
      29th of Jun, 2018

I also had something similar happen to me. A month ago I bought a Envy Photo 7855. The printer, copier work fine but every time I tried to scan to my computer, I had to run program and go through several step to get anything scanned to my computer desktop. The printer instructed me to go online to 123.hp.com. I did this and before I could blink once the chat popes up with someone asking how they can help. Never had this happen before usually chat doesn't start unless I click on the option to chat. Anyway, so I explain to the person that I went onto site to see what steps I needed to do to get the scanner working properly. She asked for my name and phone number. Within 10 seconds she called and told me she would connect me with a different department. She did and a second person, this person like mentioned in complaint above took over my computer, also indicated foreign addresses trying to access. Also mentioning me needing to get firewall. Taking me to a site on my computer (not comfortable that the person was able to access sites and that my computer was not under my control) to show me how much firewalls would cost, but that since I was a customer I could get it free through them, made a list of things that they would do for me free (I had asked how much it all was going to cost, his reply free) But the list consisted of the firewall, cleaning up my hard drive installing extra security beyond my Norton and on and on. Then it all became clear what was going on when he then stated that to do a one time fix would be $175 or I could purchase a one year warranty for $199 or 2 year warranty for $299. All I wanted was to get my printer to scan! What made it worse is he wasn't going to take no as an answer. When I told him I would not be paying any money for them to get my product to do what it is suppose to do he started talking to me in a condescending manner. I once again told him all I wanted from him were the steps I needed to do to get my printer, copy, SCANNER, fax machine to scan to computer!! he then says for me to hold on so that I can talk to my manager to see if I can make you a deal. Before I have a chance to say no he puts me on hold. Comes back and claims his manager told him to offer me $50 off any of the warranties or off the one time fix. By this time I am extremely irritated. I again informed this person I refuse to put money out for them to tell me what I needed to know to get it to scan. HP use to be a company you could rely one and their products top of the line. The times have sure changed