Hewlett Packard / tech support/possible scam

1 Round Rock, TX, United States Review updated:

My HP Office Pro 8600 printer quit working between printing things about 5 minutes apart. I went to the website and started chatting with someone. She explained that I needed to give her my phone number and someone would call me. I did, and a woman, who's first language was not English, called me. I followed her instructions, and without asking me or telling me what she was doing, suddenly she had control of my computer. She did various things before telling me that several "foreign" entities were all using my wi-fi.
When I asked her what to do, she told me I needed to get a firewall between all the entities that were on my wi-fi. I asked her what this would cost, and she put a listing on my computer screen for $799.00! I hung up and turned my computer off. I don't know if H-P is going into the scamming business, but it was their website help that connected me with that person.
Now, I can't use my HP printer with that computer. I also cannot find any way to email a complaint to HP!

Ke
May 31, 2018

Comments

• 9w
      31st of May, 2018

there are some routers that have been targeted by Russians and a fix is to get the updates on them and restart ( for starters)
    there claim of firewall is wrong
    and as for them taking over your pc ( remote access) they obviously talked you to do it ( steps)
    which unless you have a serious issue do not ever allow that
    I hope you do have a good security suite ( anti-virus, firewall ) and its up todate
    as for your printer issue it could be just acting up ( I have had several I had to return, one or two I had no issues with)
    could be a update to get for that ( in program theres ussaully a option to check for updates)
    would try update
    last resort do a reinstall