Harvey Norman / neato botvac connected

1 Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Review updated:

I'd bought a Neato Botvac Connected from Harvey Norman, Hoppers Crossing on 21st April.

I'm facing a couple of issues with it.

- When I tried to connect it to our home network it kept failing to do so even though we have a pretty good AC1900 router. The internet connection is also pretty good; we've a 50mbps direct to home fibre connection with very low latency. After quite a few retries it finally connected.
- The time on the robot was incorrect though and there was no way to correct it. It was an hour ahead, so I had to take that into account when setting cleaning schedules.

Those of course were more minor issues that I was prepared to overlook when compared to what followed.
- On it's second scheduled sweep of the house it got stuck on a piece of clothing that was on the floor. I'd imagined these robots would just back out of such obstacles and get back to cleaning. Instead it just stopped there, discharging, till we got back home and took it back to it's base.

- Another time, while it was doing a sweep of the house in turbo mode, it tried to get back to base before charging and resuming it's cleaning, but stopped just short of reaching the base. There was absolutely no obstacle preventing it from getting there, just floor space it had already cleaned up. Again, we'd to get back home to put it back on base. It recharged, then went back to cleaning the rest of the space and tried to go back to base, stopping short again just before getting on the base.

Do note that I cleaned it's bin and filter after every sweep it did. I also cleaned the brush after every sweep even though it didn't specifically call it out as well as it's drop sensors.

And the not returning to base thing had happened one time earlier in eco mode.
Now that it had done that a total of 3 times, I decided this product wasn't to our satisfaction and needed to return it.

The product does cost quite a bit of money in Australia, and we're not happy with shelling out that kinda money for something that we think is buggy.

I took it back to Harvey Norman. I was told they will return it to Neato Robotics and will have to wait for word from them. They suggested that I should try to contact Neato directly in the meantime to get what they called an "RA number" so that they can process a refund for me.

I raised a ticket with them, and they informed me that since I'd returned the product in less than 3 weeks(they said within 30 days should be fine), the retailer should process my refund and they don't have any process to give me any "RA number". I tried to convey this to the guys at Harvey Norman's hoppers crossing store and they kept telling me about some kind of due process they had to do. This is process the customer support team at Neato specifically told me they were unaware of.

As of now, my money and the robot is with the retailer and I'm being given the runaround. All this after I was upsold on the device. I went in to purchase a samsung robot vacuum. The sales guy told me too many customers face navigation issues with the device and were returning it and that Neato is the better choice. Now I get the same issues on the Neato and they refuse to give me my refund.

Also note that the issues we face with the robot aren't really ones that will show up on a routine diagnostic of the device and Harvey Norman didn't collect any of the proof I showed them. Shouldn't they perhaps document that when sending it back to the manufacturer as they claim? I've the reports from when the robot got stuck.

Ga
May 16, 2018

Comments

• Li
      10th of Jun, 2018

Didn't you try it first when you bought it? This is sad, with that price you could have already gotten yourself a roomba690. It's not the latest model, but it's been upgraded, with all the wifi features and better suction too. I read this https://smartrobotichome.com/best-roomba-model-comparison-chart/ and i can say all other roombas are really expensive. Good thing they released a cheaper version of their vacuum, which is the 690.