Hammacher Schlemmer / Real rip off!

United States Review updated:

I wish to raise the following experience of downright overcharging done in a misleading and (my opinion) dishonest manner.

On 27 Oct 07, I placed an internet order with HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER for an electronic scrabble dictionary priced at $49.65. The website did not quote shipping charges but from previous experience I expected a reasonable charge between $20 and $40 ((maximum). I had no sooner confirmed the order when my credit card account registered a charge of $161.65.

On Monday 29, I contacted the company by e-mail requesting the reason for such an exorbitant charge. I was advised on the next day that $111.70 was for shipping and handling charges. I then attempted to cancel the order but was informed that it had been shipped but that they would try to cancel it. They then advised me to take the following action: quote-refuse delivery on this item or mark return to sender and the package will come back to usa. I then attempted to negotiate a more reasonable shipping charge on the basis that other suppliers usually charge less than $40 and that it seemed senseless to send the item back.

The response to my proposal was as follows: quote -The package has already been returned to us. A refund in the amount of $49.95 was applied to your Visa card. Shipping and handling is nonrefundable and nonnegotiable. Please contact me if you need further assistance. I have now paid them $111.70 and received nothing but delayed responses and aggro!

I strongly warn anyone dealing with this company to be extremely careful as they are not only overcharging but have also adopted a very high handed attitude and are definitely not customer orientated or customer friendly!! In any event, their charges are exorbitant as I have purchased the item new from eBay for a total charge of $72 – LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE CHARGED BY HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER!!

This was a very expensive lesson and I do not believe that such companies should or will continue to exist in the long term. I hope that this serves to expose them.
Va

More Hammacher Schlemmer Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Ba
  24th of Aug, 2016

Hammacher Schlemmer - Unauthorized Credit Card Charges
Hammacher Schlemmer
hammacher.com

WORST ONLINE WEB STORE AROUND!

Here's how these fools do business with Canadians.

The online web store is like a "venus fly trap" It seduces you with it's apparent ease of use...this is becuase it really is no more than an information gathering device for "HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER"

Even when you successfully complete your checkout, and you have in hand a checkout receipt, followed up by an emailed order confirmation with the same total, you will have a nasty surprise coming to you later...In our case, the addition of 100.00 dollars in extra freight charges on an order that was completed with the shopping cart accepting a valid "HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER" coupon code!

When we complained to "HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER" we are told to take a hike as we should of navigated our way to the hidden fine print page that says in effect...We can shaft you after the fact with absolutley no advance warning or option, to decide if you in fact as a consumer, want to pay this additional freight! They just tack it on!

Remember, a good online retailer would and should contact the customer if additional charges to an online order may be incurred, not just jamming them on and telling you to take a FLYER!

In Closing, any Canadian who buys of these irresponsible carpet baggers...This is the way they were probably doing business in 1899!
should exercise extreme caution!! If you must buy from them, Call your order in and get a total first. Though with these people they would probably still try to stick some additional amount on after the fact!

"HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER' stay away from them!!!