Guthy Renker Meaningful Beauty / bad business practices

Back in April of 2010 I ordered the Meaningful Beauty products by Cindy Crawford. Within a few weeks I was laid off from my job, so I called to cancell my order and find out how to go about sending the package back. I was informed by, "Erick" to write, "Refused" on the package and put it back in the mail. The next day I wrote refused on the package and placed it in the mail. About a month later I get a letter stating that I owe them $130.00 for the product they sent me in April. I called them and informed them that I had sent the package back. Now, I haven't heard from them so I figured they had received the package and everything was fine. Nope, the other day I received a letter stating that they were sending me to collections because I owed them $130.00 for the package they sent in April. I called them to find out what was going on and they informed me that they had received the package, but they received it on September 8th. They then proceded to tell me that I owe them for this because they didn't receive the package before the 60 day trial period. I explained that I returned the package no later than 2 weeks of them shipping it to me. They said I needed to prove this by providing a tracking number for shipping. I told them that Erick had told me to just write refuse on the package and send it back to them, there was no tracking number. I then asked him for the tracking number they had for when they shipped me the package and we should be able to track it that way. He went on to inform me that they don't keep that information. He then said because they didn't receive the package in 60 days of shipping it, I owe them the $130.00 even though they confirmed that the package is there and unopened, just like new...

Comments

• Li
      30th of Sep, 2010

I also cancelled my account with Cindy Crawford Meaningful Beauty and they continued to send me product. When I called again they said the account was still open. This is a purposeful act to further gain profit by being deceitful. I too had to go to the post office to return package but asked for a receipt. Today I got another bill. The Saga continues. The best way not to get caught up in this gimic is not to ever order product from Guthy-Renker.

• Ml
      6th of Dec, 2010

Same thing happened to me. I order the first kit for $39.99, and then I got a second kit later and a bill for $127. I didn't want the second kit, so I didn't open it and eventually sent it back. But they keep billing me and are now telling me it's going to a collections agency b/c I sent it back outside of the 60-day window. I didn't even want the next kit, it gets automatically sent after 30 days, they say. I really don't think I had the second one sitting in my house for 3 months, but what can you do? I told the customer service lady I sent it back, unopened and am not paying anything. Guthy-Renker is a scam.