Groupon.com / don't give a groupon as a gift

Groupon is great for deals - for yourself. DO NOT GIVE A GROUPON AS A GIFT!!!

Giving Groupon as a gift (especailly for a "service" is like handing your money over to a used car dealer who will essentially not stand behind the value offered. The gift holder is left with a crappy experience which they can either keep to themselves if they are polite, but leaves a bad taste.

Here's the kicker - Groupon offers the persons giving the gift the option to record this in thier system. So groupon knows who the Groupon was gifted to, and how much the value was for - just keep that in mind as you read further.

So here's my story. I received the 'Groupon Gift' as a Christmas gift for a Deep Cleaning Maid Service. I was overjoyed to receive this - as I have a three year old, so my house is always in need of cleaning.

The week after Christmas I contacted the number on the Groupon to schedule my service, which the Groupon printout showed as Feb 29, 2012. I was told by the company that they were unable to schedule during the time, but would still honor it beyond that. So, I was game. I scheduled my appointment for March.

The day before the company was scheduled to perform the service, THEY called to cancel, and I was told they would call me to reschedule. Again, I was assured they would still honor the original Groupon.

A week went by, two weeks went by - and I called them. The number on the Groupon to contact had a voice mail that was full and was not able to receive messages.

So, I contacted Groupon Customer Service. I was first told by "Nate" that because it was given to me as a gift, there was nothing they could do, and there was no record of it. My only option was to go back to the person who purchased the original Groupon to contact them for a refund. Leaving me out in the cold.

I wasn't happy, so I asked to speak with a Supervisor. So, I got "Erica" who informed me that she did in fact have a record of the transaction and read it to me. Proving, they did not only have a record of the "gift" and that they knew how much it was for. I asked to have them contact the company that I only wanted the service I was originally "gifted".

"Erica" told me that it would take 2-3 days to research and she'd get back to me. Less than an hour later I received what is essentially a "Sorry for your luck" email - that my only recourse was to go back to the person who gave me the gift and ask them to call for a refund and then that person would have to re-gift something else to me.

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

If you were to receive a gift from a department store that had not only the value of the product, but also the record of the gift a store would offer the person with the defective gift an exchange - which is essentially all I wanted.

Instead in this original theory they want me to go back to the person who gave me the gift and put them at an inconvenience and thus feel badly that thier gift was for all intense purposes - defective.

So I decided to try and go another route - I posted something on Groupon's Facebook page - and was basically told the same thing.

Here's where I really get annoyed. I have worked for many, many retail businesses - in which if there is a customer that is unhappy the first lesson in Customer Service skills is offer something of equivalent value.

Apparently the Senior Management at Groupon are more interested in banking on the fact that if you give a Groupon as a gift, they keep your money, and people will be too embarassed to report back to the person who gifted the Groupon, so they keep the money, running all the way to the bank as their stock prices increase.

Now, after this experience - I am FURIOUS that the company who is on record of the service isn't being punished for not honoring the Groupon service. I am also very annoyed that the darlings at Groupon haven't figured out this piece of their business that they promote daily.

I am writing letters to the Attorney General of AL for the Consumer Protection Agency, and I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau yesterday.

But, I think before YOU decide that awesome deal at Groupon sounds like something you'd want to give your mom/sister/dad etc - Think about what will happen if this ends up being a really crappy gift.

Personally - I'm not willing to fork over my hard earned money to Groupon if this is the kind of business that isn't willing to stand behind the product they offer.

Av
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

27th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - I would not suggest this site as there is absolutely no after sales support
    groupon.com

The process of buying the voucher was smooth enough. They are happy to take you money but if things go wrong with the service/product provider then don't expect a reply. I had something go wrong with my voucher and contacted Groupon about getting a refund. They didn't reply to my first email and also didn't bother to reply my second. At the very least they should respond!

I would not suggest this site as there is absolutely no after sales support. I've used others sites who have responded and refunded me when things went wrong. I won't name the site in case people think that I'm working for that company. This post is meant to warn people of Groupon but not the voucher concept.

• Ge
      6th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - Will never, ever use that site again
    groupon.com

I've had a rather healthy credit on my account on Groupon and was waiting for a deal or something I liked I could purchase with it. Unfortunately I did not realize that the credit has expired and I have lost my money!

Groupon did not send me a reminder advising that the expiry date is approaching and If I don't want to lose the money I should purchase something, nor did they offer the credit it back to my account after I have complaint!

They were happy to take my money but did not care whether I have received the service I have paid for. Will never, ever use that site again and I will warn whoever I can to stay away from Groupon! What a rip-off!

• Iv
      15th of Mar, 2012
    Groupon.com - If you want to buy groupon deals, THINK TWICE
    groupon.com

Groupon is horrible. I used to love buying things on groupon, but my recent purchase from groupon made me never gonna to use it again. I bought a couple deals for outdoor activies, such as rock climbing and archery class and was planning to use it, but due to car accident, i was not able to do those activities, therefore i requested the refund. I tried to call groupon, but they rejected my requests.They told me there is NO REFUND what so ever unless there is ''UNSOLVABLE'' issue with the business. I didn't even know what they defined as unsolvable issue. In addition, they have the worst customer service ever. I was yelled by the customer representative and also the supervisor. I would never ever buy anything from groupon again. So if you want to buy groupon deals, THINK TWICE.

• Vo
      22nd of Apr, 2012
    Groupon.com - It’s not a scam, but it’s a terrible &service& and the “from prices” are not really real
    groupon.com

Guys, be careful with Groupon. It’s not a scam, but it’s a terrible "service" and the “from prices” are not really real, so discounts are deceiving. This is not the first time I have issues. I like to buy from these guys, the website is nice and deals attractive. But my confidence is waning after too many poor suppliers and now an even poorer support from Groupon themselves.

So in short, if it goes well first time then it’s great, if it goes wrong then you are a bit stuck with little help.

This time, I purchased a boiler service and have tried to book with the supplier but no one ever gets back to me. The supplier sucks and is obviously having difficulty fulfilling. I called groupon, today 23 April, and they advise that they are aware but haven’t heard from the company since February! OK fine, so how can you help me? Errr, sorry there is nothing we can do, she says, until they hear from the supplier. A refund is no good to me, I want the service.

And here's the kicker. Right now they are advertising a new boiler service with a different company. So they are selling new deals, making more money, but haven’t thought to fulfil the hundreds of those like me that are not getting what they paid for.

• Di
      13th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - I will never turn around to that site and am going to delete the app from my iPhone
    groupon.com

Right, I almost got hooked up with groupon as the deals look so lucrative that you find hard to resist yourself from getting. I bought voucher of £18 to spend on ladies handbag costing £70 from a website. (i can't even remember the website $#*!!). Eventually after long wait i received it and it looked so cheap and fake that It was like something you would rather give for charity rather than keeping at home.

I didn't know groupon get 50% share of total price of whatever we pay. I see that fact that why the deal look cool. FAKE, CHEAP and RIP OFF! I will never turn around to that site and am going to delete the app from my iPhone.

• Su
      7th of Mar, 2012
    Groupon Sa - PATHETIC SERVICE
    South Africa

Hi

I would like to put forward a complaint about GROUPON SA. I have purchased a deal on the last week of Feb 2012 from RANDS TRANSPARENT BURGULAR BARS which was going for R250 for 7mtres. I had conducted a online payment via internet banking and the transaction had been processed as successful.
    The next morning i received a email from Groupon SA indicating that they had experienced errors trying to retrieve my payment. I emailed them immediately indicating that if they could not retrieve my payment then off course it needs to be refunded. It has been one week to date nobody has responded to me all i receive is a automated email providing me with a ticket number for my query. I had gone onto to HELLOPETER and there are more complaints than compliments on that site regarding GROUPON SA. Especially regarding their so called "Error" that random customers receive for payment and not providing a refund!

This is not competent, and i can only imagine how many others have also experienced this and with biggers figures.

I am utterly disgusted with the service and ignorance. And if this persists "word of mouth" will travel and will be a good image for the company itself.

I will appreciate it if some one could get back to me regarding this and i want my money back.

• Re
      15th of Aug, 2016

You can always email or do a live chat.. Its located on their website..

• Ka
      6th of Jun, 2012

Always read the "Fine Print". They give all the restrictions on dates. My friends had a similar problem because they didn't read that the tickets they purchased can't be used during Memorial Weekend.

• Es
      18th of Dec, 2012

I hate the way that Groupon handled this. I might not totally agree with your assessment of how it should be handled, but I definitely disagree with Groupon. They have a contractual relationship with these companies that is basically built on the honor system. The companies can't get a loan from Groupon, sign over services at a discounted rate, take the money from Groupon and refuse to honor the coupons. That would besmirch the companies' and Groupon's reputation and you were right, it should have been handled differently. In a way, I understand why Groupon would want to get the gift-giver involved, because it's their money and their purchase, so I kind of understand it. Their gift, for all intents and purposes was indeed defective as you were not able to reap the benefit, but I believe that the consumer has a right to know before they either (a) give another Groupon as a gift (b) because they were truly the one that was wronged, as opposed to you - you were just the recipient of a non-mandatory gift. You didn't get it. *shrug* You didn't lose anything - but the person who purchased it deserves to know that THEY didn't get the service for which they paid. The gift giver needs to be informed. That's where we differ on the situation. But yeah, Groupon, for all intents and purposes was very, very wrong in how it was handled.

• Re
      15th of Aug, 2016

Stop Complaining and take responsibility for your actions. They clearly list the Terms and Conditions on their site. I saw them before purchasing the program, so why didn't anybody else?

• Nu
      20th of May, 2012

Groupon SA is not only not delivering purchases their clients have made, but also stealing directly from clients. Their system deducts monies immediately from clients accounts, but where refunds are due from Groupon it seems they have difficulty in paying what they owe. This is clearly evident from the Hello Peter website. The reason for all these complaints is because it appears that Groupon partners with other businesses that have no business ethics and only interested in making a quick buck. It also appears that Groupon does no investigations or inspections on these partnering companies and their clients are left to discover what the real deal is!

• Gr
      17th of Jan, 2013

What you described is indeed pathetic but what is the status of your purchase recently? Did you finally get a refund? Did you contact customer care services again. I'm interested in knowing how the problem was resolved. I noticed their services has improved a notch. You should consider giving them a call.

• Ps
      21st of Mar, 2013

Thanks for this post... I know it's an old one, but I was about to buy a Groupon as a gift and now I'm not going to bother. The OTHER really annoying thing about Groupons is that I often get treated rudely at the establishment as soon as I mention I have a Groupon. It's like the employees are exasperated with the whole process and now hate hearing that yet another person has one. Of course this isn't necessarily Groupon's fault... but it's still a negative that comes with the territory. I now only buy the ones that end up hidden from the establishment/restaurant... i.e. the ones that translate into regular gift cards, etc so that by the time I show up to the place I seem like a regular customer, and I never have to say the word "Groupon" to anyone. :)

• On
      29th of Jul, 2016

Hi Coppton,

We are really apologetic for the experience you had. We would need your Order ID and contact details at [protected]@Groupon.co.in to help you. Kindly provide us the same, so that we can escalate the issue.

Regards,
    Groupon_India

• Ha
      4th of Sep, 2012
    Groupon.com. Au - They don't give a damn about customer service or retention
    Groupon.com.au
    groupon.com.au

We've used this three times everything each time was a disaster.. from the difficulty of redeeming the coupon to poor assistance from the company to extremely slow service and redemption to not being able to use a coupon at all... Grouping buying sounds good at face value but is a headache to the consumer in the end... Buy from a normal shop.. Online or otherwise.. Search for the best price.. You'll get want u want faster and for about as cheap and you won't spend weeks-months regretting using groupon.

• Ur
      29th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - Never use them again
    groupon.com

Got a spa break as a gift cost more than £250. We called the spa up ad they said they had sold out as groupon had bought too many and they didnt have enough space. We could only book so far in advance and so couldnt book at all. we tried to get our friend (the one who gave the gift) her money back and they said that she hadn't paid the corrct price (paid too little) and therefore wasnt owed a penny! What a rip off! never use them again!

• Or
      28th of Dec, 2012
    Groupon.com - I will never use this service ever again
    groupon.com

I bought a groupon for dinner for 2. When I went print it out it said I had already used it. This wouldn't have been a big deal but I planned on using it that night for my boyfriends birthday. I emailed them since their office was closed, it took them over a week to get back to me, I asked if they were gonna refund my money since I never used the groupon and I have still heard nothing. They never refunded my money or got back to me. I will never use this service ever again.

• Km
      17th of Aug, 2011
    Groupon Double Value - Cheated
    Groupon Double Value

I purchased a Groupon advertised to double your value when used with a ‘never expire’ deadline. I made a subsequent purchase a couple of weeks later on eBay using the groupon and instead of getting the value stated on the Groupon, I was only credited with the amount paid for the Groupon instead of getting double the value advertised. Wow! What a cheater!!

• Ah
      25th of Jun, 2012
    Groupon.com - The businesses are clearly too small to handle the number of customers generated by Groupon
    groupon.com

Purchased two deals this year for services in the Madison WI area. The businesses are clearly too small to handle the number of customers generated by Groupon. In both cases, it was virtually impossible to get through to the businesses 'due to the large number of calls we are currently receiving'. I never did get through to one business, the second business has repeatedly failed to put my appointment in the computer. I've shown up twice only to find there is no appointment. Today I called to confirm my appointment and same problem, no record of my appointment. Groupon will refund me, but I think they need to do a better job making sure the participating merchants have the ability to meet demand.

• Fo
      24th of Jan, 2012
    Groupon.com - Made me pay fees that wasn’t mention in the deal
    groupon.com

I ordered something from Groupon on November 28th 2011. It was a “deal” for an electric car…a Christmas gift for my nephew who would be on my side of the country for only a week during the holiday….and never got it on time… now janurary 24th 2012…still waiting for it. actually..i’m not waiting for it anymore. They also made me pay fees that wasn’t mention in the deal. I tried calling Groupon they would say they would try to contact the partner company and call me back in 2 to 3 days, they never do. I HAVE TO CALL Back weeks after week and re-explain the whole situation. And STILL they don’t do anything about it. I e-mailed a bunch of times… no answers. Never an answer. So cleary they don’t give a S$%t about their customers satisfaction. So really Groupon is a Scam. Also when they say they give you 10$ credit if you refer a new customer… they don’t. I reffered 2 new ones and had to call them so claim it and they would say…”oh sorry mam, you will see your credit in your account in the next few days” …and never got it. I gave up. Over a month of fighting with them to have my money back. I guess they won. But they lost a customer and i tell EVERYONE i can about how Groupon is a scam.