Groupon.com / don't give a groupon as a gift

Groupon is great for deals - for yourself. DO NOT GIVE A GROUPON AS A GIFT!!!

Giving Groupon as a gift (especailly for a "service" is like handing your money over to a used car dealer who will essentially not stand behind the value offered. The gift holder is left with a crappy experience which they can either keep to themselves if they are polite, but leaves a bad taste.

Here's the kicker - Groupon offers the persons giving the gift the option to record this in thier system. So groupon knows who the Groupon was gifted to, and how much the value was for - just keep that in mind as you read further.

So here's my story. I received the 'Groupon Gift' as a Christmas gift for a Deep Cleaning Maid Service. I was overjoyed to receive this - as I have a three year old, so my house is always in need of cleaning.

The week after Christmas I contacted the number on the Groupon to schedule my service, which the Groupon printout showed as Feb 29, 2012. I was told by the company that they were unable to schedule during the time, but would still honor it beyond that. So, I was game. I scheduled my appointment for March.

The day before the company was scheduled to perform the service, THEY called to cancel, and I was told they would call me to reschedule. Again, I was assured they would still honor the original Groupon.

A week went by, two weeks went by - and I called them. The number on the Groupon to contact had a voice mail that was full and was not able to receive messages.

So, I contacted Groupon Customer Service. I was first told by "Nate" that because it was given to me as a gift, there was nothing they could do, and there was no record of it. My only option was to go back to the person who purchased the original Groupon to contact them for a refund. Leaving me out in the cold.

I wasn't happy, so I asked to speak with a Supervisor. So, I got "Erica" who informed me that she did in fact have a record of the transaction and read it to me. Proving, they did not only have a record of the "gift" and that they knew how much it was for. I asked to have them contact the company that I only wanted the service I was originally "gifted".

"Erica" told me that it would take 2-3 days to research and she'd get back to me. Less than an hour later I received what is essentially a "Sorry for your luck" email - that my only recourse was to go back to the person who gave me the gift and ask them to call for a refund and then that person would have to re-gift something else to me.

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

If you were to receive a gift from a department store that had not only the value of the product, but also the record of the gift a store would offer the person with the defective gift an exchange - which is essentially all I wanted.

Instead in this original theory they want me to go back to the person who gave me the gift and put them at an inconvenience and thus feel badly that thier gift was for all intense purposes - defective.

So I decided to try and go another route - I posted something on Groupon's Facebook page - and was basically told the same thing.

Here's where I really get annoyed. I have worked for many, many retail businesses - in which if there is a customer that is unhappy the first lesson in Customer Service skills is offer something of equivalent value.

Apparently the Senior Management at Groupon are more interested in banking on the fact that if you give a Groupon as a gift, they keep your money, and people will be too embarassed to report back to the person who gifted the Groupon, so they keep the money, running all the way to the bank as their stock prices increase.

Now, after this experience - I am FURIOUS that the company who is on record of the service isn't being punished for not honoring the Groupon service. I am also very annoyed that the darlings at Groupon haven't figured out this piece of their business that they promote daily.

I am writing letters to the Attorney General of AL for the Consumer Protection Agency, and I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau yesterday.

But, I think before YOU decide that awesome deal at Groupon sounds like something you'd want to give your mom/sister/dad etc - Think about what will happen if this ends up being a really crappy gift.

Personally - I'm not willing to fork over my hard earned money to Groupon if this is the kind of business that isn't willing to stand behind the product they offer.

Av

Comments

• Ju
      11th of May, 2011
    Groupon - Stay away
    Groupon

I have been ripped off by Groupon . They sold me a days sailing on a huge white motorboat (they pictured the type seen in the south of France), when in fact Liverpool Watersports Centre do not own anything that remotely resembles this vessel. The lesson is in fact on a small black motorised dinghy. At £59 this was a terrible purchase for my husbands birthday and I wish I had bought him something else. Groupon have not replied to any e-mails and I have been mislead by their advertising. They must be committing some offence here, advertising standards, trade descriptions act etc. I am very offended that they do not have the courtesy to reply but very keen to sell you products and take immediate payment. SHOCKING!!!

• Fl
      10th of Jul, 2011
    Groupon - False Service Provided
    Groupon

I bought a coupon for a hairdressing (francesco picardi) to do a brazilian blow dry, the coupon I bought was not the service provided, which I believe Groupon needs to measure or have a quality control of who advertised through their website. At this point, I believe GROUPON company is steeling money in complicity with other companies to make money out of people like me.

I been trying to resolved this issued with Groupon but they argue that they are not responsible for any service provide and the hairdressing argue that I bought the voucher through Groupon and they have nothing to do.

• Km
      17th of Aug, 2011
    Groupon Double Value - Cheated
    Groupon Double Value

I purchased a Groupon advertised to double your value when used with a ‘never expire’ deadline. I made a subsequent purchase a couple of weeks later on eBay using the groupon and instead of getting the value stated on the Groupon, I was only credited with the amount paid for the Groupon instead of getting double the value advertised. Wow! What a cheater!!

• Ti
      2nd of Jan, 2012
    Groupon.com - I will never deal with this company again
    groupon.com

I purchased a Groupon gift certificate on 12/8/2011 for a Christmas gift. I was told that it was shipped 12/9 by UPS. I have never received the gift certificate and didn't have a Christmas gift for my daughter's boyfriend. I have spent hours on the phone with Groupon and they can't tell me where the GC is. They use a 3rd party to process the GC and have no tracking system. They have still not resolved the issue or replaced the GC. Their customer service stinks. I will never deal with this company again. They are totally inept.

• Mi
      4th of Jan, 2012
    Groupon.com. Au - They don't give a damn about customer service or retention
    Groupon.com.au
    groupon.com.au

I had great experiences UNTIL I bought a weekend getaway. The hotel resort was not able to book any accommodations and the voucher expired. After contacting Groupon (7 times by email and lastly by phone) for a credit for the full amount ... as it was not our fault ... they have told us that they can only give a partial refund because all deals are subject to availability. So the $$$ I spent for this weekend getaway has gone straight into their pocket. Now that is a scam!!! Hundreds of dollars gone! Never again. And they don't give a damn about customer service or retention!

• Fo
      24th of Jan, 2012
    Groupon.com - Made me pay fees that wasn’t mention in the deal
    groupon.com

I ordered something from Groupon on November 28th 2011. It was a “deal” for an electric car…a Christmas gift for my nephew who would be on my side of the country for only a week during the holiday….and never got it on time… now janurary 24th 2012…still waiting for it. actually..i’m not waiting for it anymore. They also made me pay fees that wasn’t mention in the deal. I tried calling Groupon they would say they would try to contact the partner company and call me back in 2 to 3 days, they never do. I HAVE TO CALL Back weeks after week and re-explain the whole situation. And STILL they don’t do anything about it. I e-mailed a bunch of times… no answers. Never an answer. So cleary they don’t give a S$%t about their customers satisfaction. So really Groupon is a Scam. Also when they say they give you 10$ credit if you refer a new customer… they don’t. I reffered 2 new ones and had to call them so claim it and they would say…”oh sorry mam, you will see your credit in your account in the next few days” …and never got it. I gave up. Over a month of fighting with them to have my money back. I guess they won. But they lost a customer and i tell EVERYONE i can about how Groupon is a scam.

• Le
      6th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - Don't even bother with this company
    groupon.com

Groupon USA = Horrendous service. BIG PONZI SCHEME! IRS, Better business bureau why aren't you going after this company?
    Customer service phone number goes straight to voicemail.They never get back to you unless they lie. Gives confirmation to the dates and then one week later doesn't recall giving any confirmation. For all the trouble, they only offer 100% refund. What about my cancellation fees for flights Who is going to pay for that???

People and businesses. Don't even bother with this company. The CEO is also a joke. Never answers question. Leave them alone and they'll eventually self implode.

• Ge
      6th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - Will never, ever use that site again
    groupon.com

I've had a rather healthy credit on my account on Groupon and was waiting for a deal or something I liked I could purchase with it. Unfortunately I did not realize that the credit has expired and I have lost my money!

Groupon did not send me a reminder advising that the expiry date is approaching and If I don't want to lose the money I should purchase something, nor did they offer the credit it back to my account after I have complaint!

They were happy to take my money but did not care whether I have received the service I have paid for. Will never, ever use that site again and I will warn whoever I can to stay away from Groupon! What a rip-off!

• Di
      13th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - I will never turn around to that site and am going to delete the app from my iPhone
    groupon.com

Right, I almost got hooked up with groupon as the deals look so lucrative that you find hard to resist yourself from getting. I bought voucher of £18 to spend on ladies handbag costing £70 from a website. (i can't even remember the website $#*!!). Eventually after long wait i received it and it looked so cheap and fake that It was like something you would rather give for charity rather than keeping at home.

I didn't know groupon get 50% share of total price of whatever we pay. I see that fact that why the deal look cool. FAKE, CHEAP and RIP OFF! I will never turn around to that site and am going to delete the app from my iPhone.

27th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - I would not suggest this site as there is absolutely no after sales support
    groupon.com

The process of buying the voucher was smooth enough. They are happy to take you money but if things go wrong with the service/product provider then don't expect a reply. I had something go wrong with my voucher and contacted Groupon about getting a refund. They didn't reply to my first email and also didn't bother to reply my second. At the very least they should respond!

I would not suggest this site as there is absolutely no after sales support. I've used others sites who have responded and refunded me when things went wrong. I won't name the site in case people think that I'm working for that company. This post is meant to warn people of Groupon but not the voucher concept.

• Ur
      29th of Feb, 2012
    Groupon.com - Never use them again
    groupon.com

Got a spa break as a gift cost more than £250. We called the spa up ad they said they had sold out as groupon had bought too many and they didnt have enough space. We could only book so far in advance and so couldnt book at all. we tried to get our friend (the one who gave the gift) her money back and they said that she hadn't paid the corrct price (paid too little) and therefore wasnt owed a penny! What a rip off! never use them again!

• Su
      7th of Mar, 2012
    Groupon Sa - PATHETIC SERVICE
    South Africa

Hi

I would like to put forward a complaint about GROUPON SA. I have purchased a deal on the last week of Feb 2012 from RANDS TRANSPARENT BURGULAR BARS which was going for R250 for 7mtres. I had conducted a online payment via internet banking and the transaction had been processed as successful.
    The next morning i received a email from Groupon SA indicating that they had experienced errors trying to retrieve my payment. I emailed them immediately indicating that if they could not retrieve my payment then off course it needs to be refunded. It has been one week to date nobody has responded to me all i receive is a automated email providing me with a ticket number for my query. I had gone onto to HELLOPETER and there are more complaints than compliments on that site regarding GROUPON SA. Especially regarding their so called "Error" that random customers receive for payment and not providing a refund!

This is not competent, and i can only imagine how many others have also experienced this and with biggers figures.

I am utterly disgusted with the service and ignorance. And if this persists "word of mouth" will travel and will be a good image for the company itself.

I will appreciate it if some one could get back to me regarding this and i want my money back.

• Iv
      15th of Mar, 2012
    Groupon.com - If you want to buy groupon deals, THINK TWICE
    groupon.com

Groupon is horrible. I used to love buying things on groupon, but my recent purchase from groupon made me never gonna to use it again. I bought a couple deals for outdoor activies, such as rock climbing and archery class and was planning to use it, but due to car accident, i was not able to do those activities, therefore i requested the refund. I tried to call groupon, but they rejected my requests.They told me there is NO REFUND what so ever unless there is ''UNSOLVABLE'' issue with the business. I didn't even know what they defined as unsolvable issue. In addition, they have the worst customer service ever. I was yelled by the customer representative and also the supervisor. I would never ever buy anything from groupon again. So if you want to buy groupon deals, THINK TWICE.

• Gi
      15th of Mar, 2012
    Groupon.com - it is a shame that they are not choosing to stand out from the rest by providing excellent customer service
    groupon.com

I purchased Diode Laser Hair Remove on 2/13/12. Just received email today that I apparently did not "respond" to an email sent from Groupon asking me to update this order and it was being cancelled. I called customer service and was told that the laser had not been FDA approved and I could have received a substitute one but I apparently did not respond in the time limit that was set forth in an email I I supposedly received Feb 28th explaining this. I looked back through all my emails, my junk folders, deleted folders and inbox and there was no email sent from Groupon stating that there was anything wrong with the order. I asked if I could still be sent the substitute laser and was told "NO" - I had missed the deadline sent in this fictitious email sent to me. I am extremely disappointed in Groupon. This is NOT good customer service. Good customer service would have been making sure I received a substitute product and was happy with my purchase and experience with Groupon. In a time when Groupon is being copied by many other similar type companies, it is a shame that they are not choosing to stand out from the rest by providing excellent customer service.

• Vi
      16th of Mar, 2012
    Groupon.com - Just another massive company out for all they can get
    groupon.com

Groupon's great until you have a problem. Paid £150 for a mattress 3rd November. I asked for my money back 27th December as I still hadn't received the mattress 2 months after ordering. Groupon agreed to refund but I am still waiting 5 months after paying for the mattress. Groupon have emailed numerous times promising to 'escalate my case' again and get the refund processed but I am just being fobbed off. I am now going to have to make a claim from my credit card company. Shame as I had used Groupon loads of times before and used to check it every day. Just another massive company out for all they can get :(

• On
      9th of Apr, 2012
    Groupon.com - I won't purchase another Groupon due to their flat out lies and poor service
    groupon.com

On the Groupon website they have a video and make a big deal about customer's being happy and how they'll issue refunds and this is actually not true. I've contacted them 4 times regarding one groupon with a vendor and the really bad problems and they ignored my problems and yet sent me a survey about my satisfaction with their response. I was not happy with their non-response. And then I discovered that this is actually a problem that a lot of people are experiencing. I won't purchase another Groupon due to their flat out lies and poor service.

• Vo
      22nd of Apr, 2012
    Groupon.com - It’s not a scam, but it’s a terrible &service& and the “from prices” are not really real
    groupon.com

Guys, be careful with Groupon. It’s not a scam, but it’s a terrible "service" and the “from prices” are not really real, so discounts are deceiving. This is not the first time I have issues. I like to buy from these guys, the website is nice and deals attractive. But my confidence is waning after too many poor suppliers and now an even poorer support from Groupon themselves.

So in short, if it goes well first time then it’s great, if it goes wrong then you are a bit stuck with little help.

This time, I purchased a boiler service and have tried to book with the supplier but no one ever gets back to me. The supplier sucks and is obviously having difficulty fulfilling. I called groupon, today 23 April, and they advise that they are aware but haven’t heard from the company since February! OK fine, so how can you help me? Errr, sorry there is nothing we can do, she says, until they hear from the supplier. A refund is no good to me, I want the service.

And here's the kicker. Right now they are advertising a new boiler service with a different company. So they are selling new deals, making more money, but haven’t thought to fulfil the hundreds of those like me that are not getting what they paid for.

• Vo
      26th of Apr, 2012
    Groupon.com - It took forever for my order to arrive
    groupon.com

I have used groupon without issue, so I took a chance and ordered a helicopter from groupon goods. It took forever to arrive, worked two times and them would not recharge. I contacted them and was told if I read the "fine print, " I would see that it is only warranted for 14 days, and they would do nothing. After I said that was unacceptable, I was offered a 10 dollar credit. I spent 35 dollars. How is that fair? If I wanted to invest time, I would see if a 2 week warranty is even legal, but I thought this warning would be a better use of my time.

• Nu
      20th of May, 2012

Groupon SA is not only not delivering purchases their clients have made, but also stealing directly from clients. Their system deducts monies immediately from clients accounts, but where refunds are due from Groupon it seems they have difficulty in paying what they owe. This is clearly evident from the Hello Peter website. The reason for all these complaints is because it appears that Groupon partners with other businesses that have no business ethics and only interested in making a quick buck. It also appears that Groupon does no investigations or inspections on these partnering companies and their clients are left to discover what the real deal is!

• Mi
      6th of Jun, 2012
    Groupon.com - They do not give the whole story when advertising the dea
    groupon.com

I have ordered a few things from this sight. I find that they do not give the whole story when advertising the deal. For example I bought the Mad Auto detailing. I sent in question asking if they wax the car. They said they hand wax. When it was done the hand wax entailed a spray bottle and cloth?? After I booked and paid for the deal that is when I find out they ONLY due Tuesdays. I booked for a date on their calendar and they moved it back from May 15th to June 5th plus changed the time. YOU FIND OUT THE TRUE DEAL AFTER YOU BUY. Beware.