GoldCar Rental / unethical behaviour & unauthorised credit card charge for damage already on the car

1 Spain

Goldcar Car Hire, Alicante Airport, October 19th to 26th

My Goldcar Experience:

Things I liked: There was unfortunately nothing to like.

Things I disliked:

- being told at the desk that I had to take out additional insurance of 150 euros, while I had already taken out insurance with AXA at the point of booking via Ryanair

- that it said on the documents that I didn't need to take out additional insurance, while acknowledging the car hire company (Goldcar in this instance) would try and make me to do so. Highly confusing and unprofessional, it all had the sniff of a scam - by being lured in by cheap headline prices when booking.

- the Goldcar representative became extremely rude when I read out the hire car document i.e. that I didn't need their additional insurance

- there were several unrecorded dents and scratches on the car. I noticed these when collecting the car and returned to the desk. One was added by the operative to the hire documents, but one dent/scratch towards the front of the car I was told was not big enough to necessitate being recorded. On returning from holiday, I then receive an email with an invoice for 150 euros for this exact dent/scratch that Goldcar told me was too small and did NOT need to be recorded. That is a terrible practice, and effectively theft. It is clear I am not the only one this has happened to. On returning the car and waiting in the queue, another gentleman came back and said there were several unrecorded scratches and dents on his own hire car (as there were on mine) - he was told "not to worry" so that he didn't have to wait in the queue. I know full well he will also be charged for scratches/dents that were NOTHING to do with him, and will go some way to ruining his holiday as it did mine.

- Due to this extremely poor experience I looked for reviews online (which I now know I should have read before booking) and I see that Goldcar have a really terrible reputation. And have done for years. To my surprise, they are owned by Europcar. To the point that many reviews talk of a 'scam' i.e. charging people for damage on cars they did not cause. As per an article just this last Sunday in the Sunday Times 'exposing' Goldcar's practices. Amazing that this article comes out just days after my own experience with this shameful company.

- Rather than "recommending Goldcar to a friend or colleague" (as their survey asked me), I will instead tell everyone I know and anyone I meet going on holiday to NEVER use this company or their parent company Europcar. They have been fined by regulators twice before, but this clearly has had no impact on their behaviour.

Goldcar is a disgrace - nearly all the reviews say so. Some people have been unlawfully charged a great more money than I have for damages they did not cause; that is terrible behaviour and seriously impacts people's lives.

Al