General Electric Dishwasher / Failure to honor warranty!

1 A.P. 6 / Room 129Lexington, KY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8003861215

This is a complaint against the General Electric Company for refusing to honor their stated warranty on a dishwasher installed in September 2007. Briefly, the new General Electric dishwasher we purchased has a stainless steel tub. Shortly (i.e. 2 weeks) after installation a number of small, pinhead-sized pits in the surface of the stainless tub were noticed due to rust rings forming around them. The area covered by these pits continues to spread. We now regularly scrub the rust off to avert possible health hazards associated with rust particulates clinging to “clean” dishes and silverware.

A GE service technician confirmed this was not normal and that there was a defect. He put us in touch with Consumer Relations who told us the warranty does not apply for defects like this. We subsequently sent a letter to GE. The only response to this letter was to have someone in their Consumer Relations department call and reiterate that they would not honor the warranty.

Interestingly, this person in Customer Relations, after hearing a description of the defect, agreed something was wrong and that this was not normal; but asserted that GE will not honor their stated warranty in this instance. In speaking with this GE representative, I pointed out the following:

· If this is truly a stainless steel tub how can it rust? Assuming GE is not defrauding the public with their claim that this dishwasher is equipped with a stainless steel (i.e. will not rust) tub, then the alternate explanation for the pitting and resulting rust on this brand new dishwasher is that there was a fault in the manufacturing process causing this defect.

· I also observed that the GE Warranty clearly states that “Any part of the dishwasher which fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship... GE will provide, free of charge, all labor and in-home service to replace the defective part.” There are no stated exclusions for defects caused by pitted surfaces in the stainless steel tub or for the resulting unhealthy rust build-up.

GE’s service technician, mentioned above, along with their Customer Relations representative, agreed that the new GE dishwasher we purchased is defective. This defect clearly and substantially reduces the expected useful life of this appliance. I am asking your assistance in contacting the General Electric Company on our behalf and persuading it to honor their stated warranty.

Comments

• Ne
      28th of Oct, 2008

What you may not understand is that not all stainless steel is truly "stainless". The corrosion inhibiting characteristics is dependent on the grade of stainless steel being manufactured. Typically, residential appliances utilize a lesser grade of stainless steel, than say, a commercial grade stainless steel appliance.

The presence of rust means that there is iron present in the composition of the stainless steel; true stainless steel is non-ferrous, or in other words, contains no significant trace amounts of iron.

The best test: use a magnet. If a magnet will attach to stainless steel then it is a low grade stainless steel.

So, in short, GE most likely feels that the corrosion and rust is not a defect at all, since they specified a lesser grade of "stainless steel" in an appliance which you (and many others) subsequently bought.

Asko (Swedish) and Bosch (German) make excellent stainless cabinet models with high grade stainless steel that are comparable in price to domestic brands with stainless steel cabinets.

So much for American quality!!

• St
      29th of Jan, 2009

I agree---they should honor the warranty. Consumers are not steel experts. My dishwasher from GE is 1.4 years old----they installed the tube wrong---loose clamp--and tub was not holding water. MFR defective assembly. Since it is past the 1 year, they charge me 125 for the guy to install the clamp correctly. I am going to contact the BBB. If a factory goofs, consumers should never have to pay anything!!! They sucked me into a 5 years service warranty today...but at $203 I feel it is worth it since they charge around $325 per visit. I hope I made the right choice. I think they deserve a class action suit. ssmmcrae5@aol.com and we need to contact BBB and file suit and despute charges through the creditcard.

• Ga
      12th of Nov, 2012

I have had 4 appts to have a GE tech come out and check my dishwasher which has been leaking. The first appt the tech, Robert, called me at 3:45 pm to cancel as he was busy on another job. This on a Friday afternoon with no one to call since the service center had already closed. 2nd appt tech Tim shows up says it's the gasket, has ge send us new gasket. 3rd visit tech Dave shows up to install gasket. Dishwasher still leaking. Call GE they send tech Dave out again to see what's up on the same day. Tech Dave takes apart the door and low and behold there is tons of condensation which was causing the leak in the first place. Engineers tell him to lower my hot water heater temp from 130 to 120 and that should stop the problem. Really, that's a crock of crap. Of course that doesn't help, 5th call today Tech Tim comes back out again at 4:25 pm and says there is screw lose and that's the cause which is BS and then has the nerve to tell me that's all he can do and that I should call GE in the morning to deal with it. SERIOUSLY GE IS THIS HOW YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS!! I AM SO OVER GE YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I have never experienced such crappy customer service. Mind you this dishwasher is not even a year old AND it's the replacement for my old one that was recalled due to fire hazard. Now I have to call GE Customer Relations tomorrow morning and start all over again. GE should be calling me to apologize and pay me for all the hours of work I missed to sit here waiting and waiting for this ingnorant repair/tech guys. I basically threw Tim out of my house for his complete ignorance and snotty attitude. Does anyone have a suggestions on what to do? I swear I'm going to sue GE and blast them on all and any blogs I can find.