Geek Squad / scam repairs of camera

United States Review updated:

I purchased a fairly expensive camera from Best Buy a little over a year ago. I brought it into the Geek Squad for repair, where they charged me a diagnostc fee of $36 and sent it off. I didn’t hear back from them for a couple of months. I ended up calling the store to get the status of the repair. I was told by the “agent” that the camera was in Texas and could not be repaired because they didn’t have the part, but I could bring it to a private camera shop in the area for repair. When I went to pick my camera up, after it got back to the store, they refusef to give me my diagnostic fee back.

When I told them that they could have gotten the part but didn’t, that became their problem and they should do yhe right thing and refund my money, they refused. They were extremely rude and unhelpful. They also tolde numerous tes that I should have gotten the extendef warranty. So, I feel that if you don’t pay the extra money on insurance, they don’t stand by their products, even if they are only a year old. All they needed to do was get the part!

El

Comments

• Th
      May 17, 2012

The $36 fee was a diagnostic fee for them to determine what the issue is. They provided that service and you are not owed one penny of that in a refund.

No store will do anything about a broken item for free one year after it was purchased unless you bought the extended warranty, period. You can blame Best Buy if you want, but your gripe is really with the entire retail industry.

• Th
      May 23, 2012

The $36 was not for BBY to determine what the problem was - it is an administrative/handling fee which covers shipping as well. BBY/GS are not authorized technicians for cameras. Not outrageous. You could have dealt directly with the mfr and if their customer support said that a needed part was unavailable, I'm sure you would have gotten at least a partial credit. Refund is not owed.

•   May 23, 2012

I called the geek squad and they said the computer was missing the hard drive and the motherboard and the CD rom sector.