GE Refrigerator / This will be my last GE appliance!

I purchased a GE refrigerator, model # GSH25SGPC SS, it is about 2 years old and I have had no problems until the last three months. The water supply in the door stopped working. Someone told me to take a hair dryer and heat the plastic tubing behind the crisper (not too hot so as to melt the tubing). I did this and also blew warm air around the back of the freezer door where the water is dispensed. Nothing happened until about 15 minutes later when it started working. It worked for a few days and stopped again. I have tried turning the air off that flows to the crisper area, tried turning the temperature up in both the refrigerator and freezer to no avail. I then heated all the same areas again and within an hour it stared dispensing water again. The third time I just went in and pushed and pulled on the tubing and about 20 minutes later it started working again. This time it worked for about four days. I have even tried moving food around in both sides with no results. I have household appliance insurance American Home Shield and they said that the water supply is not covered. I am extremely disgusted and unless something changes, this will be my last GE appliance! I have spoken with others who have the same problem and they have been told by GE to replace the freezer door at a cost of $500.00. Other wise they turn their back to the problem.

Va

Comments

9th of Mar, 2008

We had a four year old GE refrigerator that malfunctioned and heated its contents to 127 degrees before discovered. Since we had an extended warranty, we contacted GE customer service which showed no interest in the obvious product safety issue. We requested a replacement, all they would do is repair. We decided to replace the unit on our own (different brand, of course) rather than take the risk that it would eventually burn down our home.

The entire GE customer service experience was dreadful. Dropped calls, refusal to acknowledge a product safety concern... simply terrible.

Like you, I will avoid GE in every way, shape and form from now on. Buy Sylvania light bulbs.

• Do
      3rd of Jun, 2008

We have had this refrigerator replaced after spending about $400.00 on the last one which was only 3 years old- at the most.
    THe ice maker won't work properly. I have to empty the ice bin everyday just to try to get it to work.
    The last one was the same problem- that's when G.E. replaced them because of a law suit.
    They replaced it - but with the same junk as usual.
    I will never buy another G.E. appliance in my lifetime & will share my thoughts with everyone.
    I now know why G.E> is getting out of the appliance business- they are very bad at it.

• To
      6th of Dec, 2010

I purchased my last GE refrigerator. This has been our experience with this 4-years old device.
    1. Water dribbles out of the dispensor even with new filter
    2. Service call to replace parts as device was not cooling
    3. Ice Maker stopped working
    4. The ice box rack is showing signs of rust

• Jr
      23rd of Aug, 2012

This happens to ours quite often. The water insie the water hose freezes. We do the hair dryer trick, too. Now our freezer door is rusting where the water dispenser is. Never another GE refrige.