GE Appliances / ge oven model jt3500sf3ss, serial no. ttf604332q, explosion/arcing

United States Review updated:

The broiler heating element in our GE oven (top of oven compartment) exploded and started a massive, uninterrupted electrical arc. This happened today, Sept. 30, 2017, ~7:30pm EDT, only ~30-60secs after we turned on the broiler. The arcing only stopped after we turned off the whole oven.

Almost the entire interior oven surface, incl. glass window, is now covered with some kind of grey/white solid residue from the explosion/arcing event and the smoke it produced. Likewise our glass cookware that was inside the oven.

The oven was installed new only ~2.5 years ago. The broiler had never been used before. Also, the oven and the heating element were in a perfectly clean condition at the time this acing event happened.

This type of arcing event is a major fire hazard: it would have set our kitchen/house on fire if we hadn't been present nearby and reacted immediately. We are worried that the same could happen to other heating element(s) in the same oven; or in the GE other wall oven unit (same model) which is installed just below the one that exploded/arced tonight.

Clearly, this GE oven model is not a safe product to use in the house. Pls. advise how GE will address this hazardous condition. We request that GE replace both of these two oven units by a safer product, at no charge.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Deborah A. Sudbury and HB Schuttler
5305 South Trimble Rd. NE, Atlanta, GA 30342
Ph. [protected](Cellph.HBS), [protected] (Home)
Email: [protected]@yahoo.com

Hb
Sep 30, 2017

Comments

• Sh
      Oct 01, 2017

I'm involved within the industry and can tell you this isn't a common issue. In fact, G.E. has a strong reputation in the cooking area. Check with the retailer you purchased the unit through. Many offer addition warranty programs that can cover the expense of having the range serviced or replaced.

Oct 02, 2017

@Shaun R. This exact thing happened to our GE Profile Model No. PS920SF3SS on 9/3/17. There was a loud whirring sound, it looked like fireworks inside my oven. I had just turned on the broiler to warm up. Circuit finally tripped and it stopped. Oven coated in ash and molten metal sprayed throughout the inside. I have used the broiler many times before. My range was purchased in November 2016. Still under warranty. GE chose to repair the range rather than replace it. The oven had to be completed disassembled, and a new oven insert and heating elements were installed. I am EXTREMELY displeased with GE Service. They have dropped the ball over and over. I have called multiple times because they forget to schedule an appointment, didn't order parts (and had to expedite them), then the parts sat in my foyer for over a week until I called and scheduled an appointment (again) to make the repair. I am still awaiting parts they forgot to order the first time. I have been without my oven for over 4 weeks now. I requested to escalate the case and was told (as usual) someone will get back to me in 1-2 days. SO DISAPPOINTED!

• Sh
      Oct 04, 2017

@SallyGBG Hi Sally. I replied to your complaint. Let me know as I might be able to help further.