GE Appliances / ge oven model jt3500sf3ss, serial no. ttf604332q, explosion/arcing
The broiler heating element in our GE oven (top of oven compartment) exploded and started a massive, uninterrupted electrical arc. This happened today, Sept. 30, 2017, ~7:30pm EDT, only ~30-60secs after we turned on the broiler. The arcing only stopped after we turned off the whole oven.
Almost the entire interior oven surface, incl. glass window, is now covered with some kind of grey/white solid residue from the explosion/arcing event and the smoke it produced. Likewise our glass cookware that was inside the oven.
The oven was installed new only ~2.5 years ago. The broiler had never been used before. Also, the oven and the heating element were in a perfectly clean condition at the time this acing event happened.
This type of arcing event is a major fire hazard: it would have set our kitchen/house on fire if we hadn't been present nearby and reacted immediately. We are worried that the same could happen to other heating element(s) in the same oven; or in the GE other wall oven unit (same model) which is installed just below the one that exploded/arced tonight.
Clearly, this GE oven model is not a safe product to use in the house. Pls. advise how GE will address this hazardous condition. We request that GE replace both of these two oven units by a safer product, at no charge.
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Deborah A. Sudbury and HB Schuttler
5305 South Trimble Rd. NE, Atlanta, GA 30342
Ph. [protected](Cellph.HBS), [protected] (Home)
More GE Appliances Complaints & Reviews
- General Electric - class-action suit on refrigerator moisture! 
- GE Appliances - do not buy ge adora 
- General Electric - how a freezer door handle ends up being handled at the chairman's office level! 
- General Electric Company - Service Protection Plus - Extended Warranty Coverage
- General Electric - their service is equally abysmal 
- General Electric - dishwasher purchased in nov.
- General Electric Company - washer
- General Electric - new washing machine doesn't work 
- GE Appliances - home depot delivery of our ge stove
- GE Appliances - incomplete website and ordering information