Gardner White Furniture

Posted:

Don't buy from Gardner White!

Gardner White Furniture
gardner-white.com
February 1, 2010 – We went to Gardner White Furniture Store in Canton, MI to shop for a mattress set. We were greeted by Jim Baumstark, sales associate. We advised him that we were looking for something very specific - an ultra plush/soft mattress set. Our current mattress set was about 10 years old, sagged in the middle, and lumpy. After meticulously browsing their showroom selection and "testing" various mattresses, we selected the Simmons Rozelle. We selected this model specifically because it was an ultra plush/soft mattress.

February 13, 2010 – The mattress set was delivered in the evening. We immediately noticed that our mattress was much firmer than the mattress set displayed in the Gardner White showroom.

February 14, 2010 – We went back to the store and went to the customer service desk to advise them that the mattress that we received was too firm. The customer service sales associate told us that new mattress sets typically take a few weeks to “settle” into their desired firmness/softness levels and temperature, and to "walk" the mattress out. This seemed reasonable to us, so we decided to try their suggestion.

We spent the next five weeks attempting to “walk” the mattress out, and give it time to “settle” into the softness that it was ultimately supposed to be. During those six weeks, and despite our best efforts - the mattress has not gotten any softer at all. It is still extremely firm. And surprisingly, we noticed there is now a sag or depression in the middle of the mattress (which ironically does not affect the softness level at all). We would expect some sagging after several years of use, but certainly not after only six weeks. This is clearly defect and a quality issue.

February 22, 2010 – We called Gardner White once again and complained about the quality of the mattress set, despite having tried their suggestions. They arranged for a technician to come out to our home and inspect the mattress.

February 25, 2010 – The technician performed the mattress inspection and would not address the “softness/firmness” issue. He did mention that the depression in the middle of the mattress was only 1 inch, and therefore within manufacturer’s parameters.

February 25, 2010 – Having strongly disagreed with technician’s findings, we called and spoke with store manager, Dwane, regarding our mattress issues. He advised that the technician had not yet officially filed his report, and that there wasn’t anything they could do until the technician did so. He expected the technician to file his report on the following Saturday.

February 27, 2010 – We received a voicemail from the Gardner White technician that the report had been filed, and that there wasn’t anything they could do to help us. We called Gardner White and spoke again with the store manager, Dwane, who reiterated the technician’s findings. We were given these options:
1) Wait until the official 60 days after purchase date (2/12/10), and exchange the mattress set for another. We would be subject to a $59.99 exchange fee, plus 10% restocking fee. *We refuse to pay these outrageous fees to replace a mattress that is defective. *
2) Have another “third party” company come out to inspect our depression issue. If the “third party” comes out and determines there is more than 1 ½ inches in depression, then at that time the mattress would be deemed defective, and they would replace it for us. However, they will NOT address our “softness/firmness” issue – as this is “subjective” – and therefore they are not able to help.
*Although both of these issues are important and warranted, the most important issue to us is the “softness/firmness” issue. If the “third party” cannot repair the “softness/firmness” issue, then we do not see the point in bothering with this option.*

A few other relevant FACTS:
• We purchased the Guardsman Mattress Protection Plan with our set (noted on invoice)
• The Gardner-White website mission statements says:
Buy with confidence.
At Gardner-White we guarantee that our prices are the lowest in town. If you find the same furniture with the same terms for less we will refund the difference. We also guarantee our products against manufacturer’s defects for at least one year.
These are just a few examples of our commitment to our customers. Because at Gardner-White, providing you with great furniture and great service is what we do.

In summary, we purchased a mattress set from Gardner White Furniture Store in Canton, MI. When it was delivered, we found the set to be defective. Upon seeking help from the store to rectify the situation, we realized we may have fallen victim to the store scam of “bait and switch”. Either the store intentionally misrepresented their merchandise on the showroom floor; or we received a defective set – for which the store will not take responsibility for. In either case, unscrupulous business practices are being used here, and we intend to stand up for ourselves in order to make this situation “right”. Ultimately, we are not looking for our money back, we are not looking for a different model mattress. The outcome we would like to see is to have Gardner White replace our defective mattress set with the same make & model without the defects.
Complaint comments Comments (7)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Mattresses

Comments

A  18th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I've had problems with Gardner White before. Most notably the old "bait and switch."

Best solution is do NOT do business with them.
N  15th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
I STRONGLY suggest that no one do business with Gardner White. We purchased a table, $422 from the store on Hall Road and moved to AZ. The table had a complete manufactures defect across the top finish of the table. Gardner White refuses to help, I even offered to ship the table back to them, its extremely heavy, a stone table, and still receives the attitude from them of "your loss, our gain". They have actually unloaded a defective table for profit, unbelievable. DO NOT SHOP THERE.
A  12th of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
I will NEVER purchase from Gardner White again, and I am glad that I just talked a colleague out of even looking at their furniture. The return policy is completely ridiculous. After my furniture was supposed to be in on April first, it finally arrived on May 10th. I had to put my new house together while waiting, having not seen the actual furniture for 2 months, the colors were off enough, where I would forfeit my $500 deposit to get something else. They will not accept any refunds or exchanges, that could have resulted in a larger sale. What a poor business decision on their part. I hope they read this and realize that I went out and spent thousands of dollars at a competitor to furnish the rest of my house and once I sell this furniture, I'll spend another couple of thousand replacing this set. Shame on them and EVERYONE I know will be made aware of the poor service I received. Julie - Grosse Pointe
A  4th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am also a victim of this scandolous company. They put a bogos insurance charge on my account and wouldn't refund my money when i caught them and demanded it.Please everyone, don't even think about considerrring gardner white when you need furniture. They are scamers!
A  18th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
Gardner White on Hall road ripped us off. First we told them we wanted a sectional tv package...he told us ok and sent a couch and love seat...then tried to low ball us into buying the sectional middle piece. We thought we had bought it and he told us it cost extra. Then there have been problems with the whole order for a month and a half now and they still have yet to make it right. We wanted to return everything but never got a return call or anything until the 7 day grace period was up and then told us we had to pay a 25 percent restocking fee. They also brought the tvs in ...told us they had to open it to make sure the screens werent cracked... but once there open you cant even send them back. They have tried to redeliver 2 different love seats going on the 3rd one..all with defects..End tables had defects and they keep giving us the run around...wanting us to come up there and look at the floor models. We have 5 different yellow sheets documenting there every visit here so far. Still not fixed. It may be time to find a lawyer at this point for us. Gardner White will never see any of my man cave money which I plan to make in the basement of my brand new house this summer. Bill- Clinton Twp
A  9th of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes

37 reviews
KAT T
KAT T
in the last week
Words can't even explain the indignation towards your company right now. I wasn't even going to make a complaint about the egregious customer service experience my mother and I had inside the store because the wonderful manager handled everything so eloquently in store. However, everything went from bad to worse. Vanessia or whatever her name is got in my mom's face and threatened her. We should have called the police and not bought furniture, but the store manager Karen defused the situation. Vanessia kept lying to my mother about the deals they had and when my mom questioned her about it, she proceeded to walk towards my mom and say "Girl Boom, you better get out of my face." Then a MALE came over and stood directly next to my mom with his feed wide open and hand behind his back like he was security, so that's when I had to tell him to back off of my mom. GHETTO PEOPLE!!!

Then the delivery men attempted to bring my couch in through my side door. Understandably, it wouldn't fit. I suggested that they come through another door like my front door or my back door, and they refused to do so. All the man kept saying was "It won't fit." I asked him how does he know if he doesn't try, he said "I just know." He said that my ceiling was too low. I advised him again to please just try, and show me that it doesn't work because you have space to go into the bathroom. Again, he said "Trust me, I don't want to put this back on my truck, it just isn't going to fit." I told him I understand what he is saying, but to satisfy me, the customer, try it and see. There are two other door options to choose from. Again, he said no. So another grown man that argued with a woman for about 20 minutes about trying another door. I told him "Fine, just bring my chest in that I ordered and I will let them know that you aren't even trying to get it in through the other door." All he said was "Fine, I'll call them for you." That pissed me off even more because it showed that he obviously just didn't care. He then told me that I could pay to have it disassembled and put back together. Why would I do that when you won't even show effort of it not fitting instead of being lazy. They were totatlly lazy and just didn't want to try. The younger guy stayed quiet the entire time, it was only the older boy that kept arguing with me.

I contacted corporate and all they said is they can take my complaint and someone would reach out. No immeadite solution. I asked how long would it be before someone get s with me, I spoke with Mara and she said "Can't say what the turn around time is, I don't know what they ahve on their agenda." REALLY... You don't know what they have on their agenda??! Seriously?!?! As if my complaint isn't warranted. I asked what would happen with my money and she said I can pay to have it disassembled (again hearing this is pissing me off even more), choose another couch, or get a refund. Nobody seems to want to help with this situation. I asked her to have the disassembly fee waved, she said I would have to contact the store directly. I feel like this is just one bad scenario after the other.

I contacted the store, and what do they tell me, to go measure my doors and call them back with the measurements and it will go from there. I feel like screaming right now. Isn't this something that the delivery men could have tried? Isn't this part of what they get paid to do or no? Corporate never called the next day either. I had to leave a message with the District Manager Jeff and finally, two days later he called. All he wanted to talk about was me paying to have the furniture disassembled. Not once mentioning the behavior of the employee's there. Spoke with Pam Giacalone Regional Manager, and all she kept saying was to have the furniture disassembled. Again, why would I pay for that when they didn't even try to bring it in through another door. The deliver manager never called to apologize either. So now, we're pressing charges for the employee threats when all I want is to have my furniture and they won't make it happen.
A  7th of Dec, 2017 by    0 Votes
Buyer Beware - Do not Shop at the Gardner White's Macomb Twp
Location!! In fact, don't shop at Gardner White at all!! The store is a SCAM and treats their customers horrible. Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere!!!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree