Future Shop / Wont exchange defective product after only a week of buying!

1 Canada Review updated:

Bought an ipod touch on the 11th of October 2007 from futureshop # 053. Before doing so i made sure to ask the rep AND the cashier about the warranty/return/exchange procedure. They both assured me that i have 30 days warranty from futureshop and that all i needed was the receipt and all the original equipment to receive a full refund or an exchange if there was anything wrong with the unit. I made sure to ask twice because the iPod touch was new and i had heard many problems with them.

After being assured it was under FUTURESHOP warranty for 30 days i bought my iPod and off i went, thinking that if anything went wrong i could get a replacement or a refund within 30 days. After using it 6 times within the past week i noticed that the battery life of the iPod is not anywhere near the advertised life. The battery, when charged over night only last 4 hours if i am lucky! And that is just Music use, no wifi or videos.

I wait until the end of the week when i dont have work or school to head to futureshop to see what can be done about this.

The "customer service" rep informs me that the ipod is not in original condition because it has a few minor scratches on the back. Now in no way did i abuse the iPod, the screen has not but one scratch on it, no dents, just the back due to its design has a few scratches that any iPod owner will tell you is really easy to get even with gentle use!

The rep points to a sign above him, the sign is huge, and tells me our policy is no returns or exchange for items not in original condition, i tell him that no where on the sign does it say that, not even the fine print. He reads the sign and informs me now that there is no room for it on the sign. He then informs me its on the back of my receipt, problem is i get that after i buy the item and who reads the fine print on the BACK of the receipt? He tells me then i should have asked, which i inform him i did. I then get accused of not telling the truth and he tells me "sorry but its buyers beware" and he cant do anything for me.

Is this how futureshop treats its customers? BUYERS BEWARE? i guess they should have put that on the back of the receipt and then no one would be mistaken where futureshop stands. I am totally disappointed in futureshops customer service and the lack of backing of their products. I was intending on buying my girlfriend a laptop from futureshop as a birthday gift in a few weeks but after this they will be lucky if i ever spend one cent in their stores ever again.

So i guess take their word for it, BUYER BEWARE of Futureshop and their lieing and cheating associates who will tell you anything to sell you a product and then wont back it up when it is not working right!

Va

Comments

• Am
      3rd of Dec, 2007

They refused to take it back because any sort of physical damage on the unit especially things such as scratches on the screen will be deemed as write off or total loss for the company because they would need to send it back to apple. Apple would not give them any credit for it because it would be the customers fault not apple's. i suggest u trying to contact apple to see if you can get a replacement.

4th of Oct, 2008

What do you want them to do with an iPod that has scratches? Would you pay full price for it? Of course not.

• Mi
      20th of Oct, 2008

iPod touches or iPhone will scratch on the "shiny" metal regardless of how careful you are within a few days.

But why would you put up with Futureshop being rude like that when I am sure they know you didn't do anything wrong. Just grab a new one off the shelf, and give the lady back your old one and if she doesn't want to do the exchange, just leave with the new one. It's that simple.

They won't call the cops on you over that because it would be considered a civil matter (ie. not theft but a legal disagreement regarding their exchange policy)

• Ka
      23rd of Jan, 2009

Well the reason the "BIG SIGN" didn't specify original condition is the same reason you don't walk around with a "I'm a idiot" written on your forehead. Or do you not have enough room. Apple would not give Future Shop a refund because of the scratch on the screen, so why should Future Shop pay for your damage? It's "beware of buyer" in Future Shops case. Their only crime is that they expect their customers to have an adverage IQ and take care of their product.

• Am
      8th of May, 2009

First of all, if any of you had taken any time to read his post he said there was a scratch on the back NOT the screen.

Second, the employees told hom hassle free return under 60 days. Are you actually going to say to the "nice, polite" salesperson, "Hold on while I peruse your wall literature to make sure your accurate in your facts" You trust that your retailer is telling the truth.

Third, due to the fact that the item stopped working appropriately does not in any way result from the minor pocket damage. It was a manufacturing defect. They should replace it immediately to ensure a happy customer and return business. These places like Walmart, futureshop, Best Buy etc. Have budgets and insurance for just this sort of thing. Do you honestly believe that if they got the item back in its original condition they would just dust it off and put it back on the shelf. No, they toss it and write it off.

You people who stick up for scam artists obviously have not been in any type of customer service situation or your the type the would accept you've been ripped off and can afford to let it go.

Well, guess what. Us peasants who have to save our pennies to get that laptop or ipod or T.V. expect to get what we want because our money MUST mean something. Meaning, we just can't throw money around, like some people, and just write it off when things go south.

We research and get as much information as we can before we part with our hard earned money and expect that we are not going to get ripped off. So yeah when it does happen we are MAD. We have every right to be.

FutureShop is in the business of parting every sucker from their money and they will lie, cheat and steal to get it. If you don't raise a stink they give you a "Sucks to be you" attitude. Every employee from the floor sweeper to the CEO should be round up and charged with theft and fraud.

BOYCOTT FUTURESHOP AND ANYTHING ASSOCIATED!!!

• Ms
      5th of Jul, 2009

Wow, its not Future Shops fault that he scratched the product! It does suck that any cosmetic damages deem the warranty void, but that is Manufacturers terms. Call Apple and see what they would do!!

• C2
      30th of Aug, 2009

So I work at bestbuy and in this situation, the customer is wrong. Future shop just followed regular protocol (their policy) and enforced it.

As for the quote:
    "if they got the item back in its original condition they would just dust it off and put it back on the shelf. No, they toss it and write it off."

If the item is returned in the same condition as when they bought it (no visible physical damage scratch etc), they DO put it back in the original package and sell it as an open box. In the case of a defective item, the item must still have NO PHYSICAL DAMAGE in order for the exchange policy to be enforced since once they send it for repairs, apple will classify this item as "abused" or "likely caused by physical damage" and hence the issue was not apples responsibility but that of the customers.

Ps: you're one of those customers that no one likes since you assume you know the process and hence blame the company for not bending rules for your case. And FYI, doing our job and following protocol is not bad customer service. Good customer service is when the worker tries everything within his power (and the regulations) the help solve the issue presented to him.

30th of Oct, 2009

The EXACT same thing happened to me a few days ago. They also accused me of not using my case, claiming it isn't dirty for a white case. Which i don't get; why would i spend 30 dollars on a case if I'm not going to use it.?
    She then asked me why it took me 27 days to return it which is totally irrelevant to the situation. can return it up until the last millisecond if she wills.

Long story short, the guy wouldn't return it because he was simply receiving a commission and he didn't want to lose the 10 Dollars he was making.

Police also got involved because I wouldn't Leave without a fight.

After all the basically coned 400 Dollars out of my pockets. :)