Frigidaire / manufacturer's defect

In September of 2008, I bought a Frigidaire cooktop. After using it several times I took the drip pans off to clean them and noticed that the paint underneath had chipped. I then noticed that the drip pans on the bottom had not been finished in the manufacturing process. We went back to the store and looked at the store model and the drip pans and the finish were the same on both sides. The book that came with the cooktop says to clean it with soap and water and a paper towel. But since it was never finished properly it is hard to get food off of it. The burner grates also have the paint coming off because they weren't finished right. Even on the bottom of one of the drip pans you can see four fingerprints where someone in the manufacturing process grabbed the unfinished drip pan.

I contacted the company and they said it was a cosmetic issue and is not covered. I disagreed because it is a flaw in the manufacturing process not something I did to the unit. They gave me a list of three appliance repair companies and said that if I called ONE of them and they came out and agreed that it was a manufacturer's issue that they would replace the cooktop. So I took time off from work and had a repairman come out. He totally agreed with me and said it was a flaw in the manufacturing process and that the drip pans and the rest of the unit had not been finished correctly. He said he would replace it, but then called Frigidaire to report what he found and a technical person said it was cosmetic and not covered. The repairman said he couldn't do anything for me. I then called Frigidaire customer care, which is a joke, and was told to get a second opinion. I find it funny that they don't believe the first appliance repair company that they sent me to. I didn't pick this repair company, they did. I said that I now have to take time off from work AGAIN to have a second repair company come out to tell me the same thing and then what, Frigidaire will dispute that too.

I can't believe that Frigidaire won't back up the manufacturing of its products. I think they are trying to give me the run around so I'll just give up. Not going to happen. This is a manufacturer's defect, said so by the repair company not just me, and not a cosmetic issue. I called the second repair company and told them what happened and they couldn't believe that Frigidaire wouldn't believe the repair company. Customer service, where has it gone? I bought what I thought was a great brand name and now I think Frigidaire's brand is flawed as badly as its merchandise. Beware if you buy a Frigidaire product, get ready to go down this long and frustrating road.

Comments

• Go
      15th of May, 2009

We had the same problem with out stovetop - the tops of the racks were finished but not the bottom. The first time we tried cleaning it, the bottoms were already rusty. From your experience, I guess the lesson for me is not to bother having someone come look at it and asking Frigidaire to replace them. This is our first home and thus first experience with appliances. Both the frigidaire products we have (a heat pump, also) are very poor quality and are prone to all sorts of issues. My husband and I both have a lot of brand loyalty if something works well. This is, unfortunately, not one of the companies we'll be purchasing from again!

11th of Jun, 2009

I am contacting you on behalf of Electrolux Major Appliances in relation to your posting on https://www.complaintsboard.com. I would like to apologize for the difficulty you have had with your appliance. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this issue with you so that I can personally look into this matter. In order to do so, please send me your contact information, and the best time to contact you. I would also need your model and serial number and a file number if available, so that I can research this matter. Again I regret your disappointment with your appliance and look forward to resolving this issue with you.

Sincerely,
    Chris Polk
    Escalation Specialist
    Electrolux Major Appliances
    chris.polk@electrolux.com

• Do
      14th of Dec, 2009

FYI, Chris Polk doesn't exist, someone at the company keeps posting that same message on all the boards whenever there is a complaint however NOTHING is ever done

• Je
      27th of Aug, 2015

I have a Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator that has had issues since it was about 6 months old. The units ice production was very slow for several months and them began to freeze up and completely stopped working. When I was finally able to get help from Frigidaire/Electrolux they sent me nothing more than a piece of insulation (about 2.5 inches thick) that I did have installed by a professional tech. My "now" major issue is that I purchased this refrigerator 'only" because of its counter depth feature - to fit cleanly with the $25, 000 worth of kitchen cabinets I put in. NOW- my once counter depth refrigerator is no longer counter depth and looks horrible. Frigidaire/Electrolux has told me that they are not willing to do anything else and that I had to deal with it - poor customer service - wouldn't allow me to talk to a supervisor either. The difference in the cost of the counter depth refrigerator vs. non-counter depth is significant - all I want is what I paid for. Very disappointed after spending over $5, 000 on appliances. Have had Frigidaire in the past with no issues but will never purchase from Frigidaire or Electrolux again - and will do my research to make sure I do not buy any appliance affiliated with them. Chris Polk is fictitious -