Fpl (Florida Power & Light) / deposit demand

1 Palm Coast, FL, United States Review updated:

I am writing in hopes someone out there gets angry enough to file a class action lawsuit against FPL for unfair utilities practice. I lost my employment Jan. 8 2009 and because of a mistake on an account (Nov.of 2008) the check was returned. I found out this happened and I paid it by cash right away, but today Feb.20 2009 I received a threat from FPL that if I did not send an additional deposit of $184.00 by Feb 24 2009 power would be shut off. I wanted to see if others were having the same problems with Florida Power & Light so I checked online and was not surprised to find many complaints. I did however noticed something interesting, FPL demanding different amounts from different customers.
I was wondering do they (FPL) set these extra deposits on a whim?
If you want to know what to do, write Gov. Charlie Crist and tell him what this bully is allowed to do to all of us. Want real change? Fight Back!!

Comments

• Cs
      29th of Oct, 2009

Every person complaining about additional deposits has had late payments, find one customer out there that has never been late with their payments and you all will see they have no problem with FPL. I am sure after you go and call and complain to FPL, you hang up and call AT&T or other service provider. I have some advice that will save you all money, from "hiring lawyers", and "filing lawsuits, " use all that money that you will spend on that, and...Pay THE BILL ON TIME.

• Dr
      24th of Dec, 2009

Agree same complaint wanted to charge me 662$ more deposit. Need to file a complaint again them with state of florida am doing it for the second time as this is the second time they pulled this crap with me.

• Za
      3rd of Jan, 2010

FPL is well know for there unfair pratices, because they are a monopoly and they ara also back up by the Government they do as they please, their practices are abusive, asking working people for $500 and $600 hundreds deposit is very abusive, specially at a time like this when so many people are loosing their jobs. on topthey do not even apply this deposit to future debts or
    reimburs the costumers after a year of service as ATT and other company do, they just pocket the money. Definitely the Goveror of Florida should take action on this regard.

• Fp
      8th of Jan, 2010

cstomer. Youre an IDIOT!!! You must work for FPL. Sounds like it with that attitude. They are LIARS and cheats and dont know their ### from a hole in the ground. The average person wouldnt know their bs from the truth but all they tell is lies. They need to be shut down.

• Un
      12th of Jan, 2010

I understand that you should pay your bill on time but at times you can't help it. My husband and I both work but I don't always get paid on time. I have look for another job, but none out there. I paid my bill expecting a pay check that was past due and my employer said he would pay. Well it didn't happen. So my check bounce. In a perfect world you don't pay by check if you don't have the money. Its not a perfect world for some of us. I have 3kids and can't afford to have the power off for 24hours. Not to mention the food you have to throw away. So I ended up having to pay a power bill for 3 weeks in a row due the fact another bill came due between all this. Which was hard but you can't go with out power. My shut off notice said it would be shut off on a friday. I try to get a payment extention and couldn't because of the check problem and being late. I do have almost a 700 deposit with them and my bill is $225.00. Well the check that bounce was my second in a year so now I have to pay by cash. Which is my fault and thats fine. But they don't have a pay location in the same city I live in. There isn't a office in the city I live in or near me by any means. I tried to pay by credit card and can't do that either. You can only pay their bill by credit card with a master and discover card. If you pay at those places that say you can pay power bills there it takes up to 4 days to apply to your bill. Fpl says its them and the place says its there with 3o minutes. So I called up on monday ask if they could get me to the end of the day.(My husband gets paid on mondays) They said no I should of pay be friday and they can't help me. I asked them why can't you pay using a visa card they said its not them its western union. I told them that wester union takes visa then they said cause visa didn't think their customer should have to pay a fee so don't except them anymore. So now I have to drive 25 miles to pay location and hope my power isn't shut off. You shouldn't believe everything the site says is therm terms and I hope the people that do never have to pay their bill late. There is 2 power companys in the town I live in. The other power company works with you on your bill and easier to pay them. I don't think that any of us is asking for FPL to give us free power. They could work with the people a little more. I also think that something should be done about them being able to have 24 hours to reconnect your power. The other power company in town comes right out and turns your power on. They do charge extra for it. You can't be in house with kids with no power or DCF be knocking on your door. So you would have to pay for a hotel or stay with someone. I don't think anyone that has their power shut off wouldn't pay extra for to be turn on. My grandfather pays his bill 2 days late due when he get his social security check. They sent him a notice him a notice that he has to pay a deposit of 400. My grandfater didn't realize he got it but paid his normal bill. His power was shut off. He is 100% in a wheel chair. He was in his recliner when it was shut off. Thank God He has a cell phone. We had to go over there and get him out of his chair due to the fact its power recliner. Then he had to stay with us. He couldn't charge his wheel chair or anything. No one on a fix income or any income should have to stay in a house with no power cause they have 24 hours to come out. If they are going to charge all these deposits they should come right out to reconnect. Its the real world if you pay late fees but when your deposit is more than 3months bills that is crazy.

• Br
      6th of Feb, 2010

I AGREE! They have done it to me too! I've been a customer for probably 20 years!!! They FORCED me to sign up for auto withdraw as the only way to avoid the extra charges! Now... rather I have the money or not... they will withdraw causing my bank account to be overdrawn!
    Brooks Courtney
    941-284-6849

• Jd
      17th of Feb, 2010

John... this is HYSTERICAL... your comment about excellent credit and a 788 score when your in default of the divorce decree to pay back money you, essentially, stole from me... and the single parent business... move there with Juliana and not her children? Doubtful... you are a HOT MESS piece of work. Consider yourself lucky if you got the utility in your own name... this in addition to a plea agreement of assualt annd battery versus felony robbery and assault, not paying the judgement ordered... you name it... the list goes on and on.

You know we're aware you're in Miami and the garnishment will follow you shortly, right? And if you bought that new house, a lien will be slapped on it faster than you can come up with another lie.

Suffice it to say, I've had ENOUGH of turning the other cheek. Next up, uploading the protective order and anything else I can find that proves yor guilt that you so readily deny. Your lack of accountability and responsibility makes me wonder why you haven't just collapsed under the weight of your dark and broken soul.

Oh... I just notice I can attached a photo here... a great place to upload the protective order.

18th of Feb, 2010

This is HYSTERICAL...Who knew that complaining about a power company would bring out a nutty ex wife. After three years of bliss and silence, you track me down through a complaint board. This only reinforces how much of a nut you are and your BS filings of charges were dropped and listed as dismissed because your a nut job!!! The fact that you try to keep up with my life only shows that You are a single, lonely, miserable person . Your comments show that. I've moved out of the state and out of the country for that matter and on with my life. I suggest you get a life and do the same or crawl back into your hole. I also suggest that you talk to your attorney about defamation of character and most important, "harassment" before you go out an post things like this. Go get a life and stay out of mine!!!

• Jd
      2nd of Mar, 2010

Is the power company in another country? Miami is not another country John... just considering sinking to your level after all this time. Not tryin' to keep up with your life at all - just making sure you know you will be held accountable to what the court ordered. We, my attorney and I, have the orders to prove it and then, of course, there's the protective order from the above mentioned "BS charges". It's a wonderful thing having the truth on one's side... you ought to know that from all your court appearances and losses. Too bad you don't possess the character or intergrity to make good and be responsible. Empty, empty, empty broken black heart and a cowardess.

• Di
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I pay my bills on time also yet I got screwed by FPL also. It was my mistake, and my first mistake as my bank account number was entered incorrect. At least this is what I was told as you cannot review how you did this. Very Convenient. Anyway all people can make a mistake but fact, FPL does not consider your payment history when they do this. This is their opportunity to bank up some money and earn much interest on 10's of thousands of people. I looked here to only see if there was something that could be done but I see this is just another 911 story, as most of us who have the since of a rats ### know what really happened yet they all jump up and down about a health care bill only not wanting it to be a "niger" that saves their sorry prejudice ### from other FP&L organizations, like health insurance company's and what we call doctors here in what USED to be the greatest country in the world. I have my recourse as I do a job now and then for FP&L and they will call me again soon I hope and trust me, my cost are going up and up the same way they did me, SURPRISE! Enough for three of you who are being extorted to pay these EXTRA deposits. Shoot I used to be angry when a relative, an FP&L employee who was ripping them off BIG time. Turns out most of the FP&L employees driving those repair trucks are unloading everything from copper cut off on sub stations to snap on tools and thousands of tie wraps, THE BIG ONES, etc etc. This relative is long gone now but people, this is why were getting screwed for more money. FP&L employees are screwing them and get this, they don't care. I saw unbelievable things happen during an FP&L strike YEARS and YEARS ago that would blow your minds! I was only 10 or 12 at the time and NO it wasn't my DAD.
    No way Jack, not my Father, but his brother and my uncles working for Bell South ? WOW, they always had batterys and giant Bell South Lamps etc etc. Hey, up yours FP&L AND AT &T, what goes around I saw come around. Trying to mix me into this, is the same as pissing up a rope, a skinny one. God forgive me for this but damm this is funny. Folks, FP&L needs this money to pay their daily losses. I can't possibly imagine this pilfering has stopped. Pilfering ? JOKE, follow one of these trucks around sometime or better yet slip into one of their so called Gate Partys! FP&L people rob from the bottom up! I know, I saw much and heard more. Remember when copper was up? So do the old FP&L workers! Oh I know 1977 !
    May God continue to bless President Obama, the greatest president ever and I'm as white as white can be, Georgia White!

27th of Mar, 2010

I understand now why in the "hood" people fence in their yards and get pitbulls. I hate FPL with a serious passion. Yes, my bills was late. SO WHAT! I've always paid my bill back to a zero balance. Some old jerk off of a guy comes to my door at 4:30 and demands cash. I asked him to give me 3 minutes to run across the street to the ATM and he said "no, too bad" and shut my service off. It was over $96 that was late from some billing cycle that I dont even understand. I ran out and paid at a station in cash. By the time they showed up the next evening for reconnect, stuff in my freezer had melted.

What they do is extortion. They show up and rob you. "Pay or screw off" is their attitude. They hold all the chips and it makes them an arrogant organization. NO, they are NOT a business, they are an organization. They have NO reprecussions to bad service or mob like tactics. Everything about them is evil and they have brainwashed themselves into thinking what they do is acceptable. I remember what Jesus did to the tax collectors...

FPL...be glad I am a non violent guy that owns no gun. Someday your arrogance and heartlessness is going to find the wrong guy on the wrong guy on the day. Its just a matter of time you souless POS! We have familys too and are not trying to get anything for free...we're just trying to take care of our familys. So when you go home at night after stealing peoples money, enjoy your hot dinner and appreciate your cozy home because someday it WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU.

27th of Mar, 2010

WOW! Am I seeing this correctly??? 14 million???? [censored]ing crooks.

• Cs
      7th of Apr, 2010

yes we all know its a recession but guess what people its been over for about 6 months now!! watch the news ppl! turn off your cell phone, stop eating take out, getting your hair and nails did and pay ur bill... all you idiots know how to do is cry to the fpsc so ur deposit will b waived and promise to pay ur bills on time but you never do...ah florida are ###s!!! and just so you know ur kid wont die if he doesn't have his nebulizer while you're waiting for your pwr to b turned back on!!!

7th of Jul, 2010

I am also looking to join a class action suit. I have not received a bill in years. All I get are final notices. I know I am not the only one not getting their bills. It seems like FPL doesn't send out the bills on purpose so people will be late.

I was told to pay a deposit of $242.00 or pay my bill by electronic deduction from my account. I spoke to a FPL representative and we agreed that FPL would bill me based on the budget method - average out - so I would know the approximate amount each month and then they could deduct from my account. I was paid up through July so I was not concerned that the budget payment method was not immediately implemented. Imagine my horror when an FPL representative shows up today at 12 noon and demands, $58.00 or they will shut off my electricity. I honestly felt like I was being robbed.

FPL is regulated by the Public Service Commission and I sent a complaint to them today but I am terrified that FPL will show up at my door tomorrow and demand more money or they will turn off my electricity.

I am looking for a lawyer to file a restraining order and file a law suit, preferably class action. Can anyone help?

• Tr
      7th of Jul, 2010

cstomer- Your ridiculous, i don't even live in Florida anymore and I know that the FPL is a crock of [censor]! Your 2 little comments compared to the 15 other comments of complaints means nothing, just like you nothing. No ones is "crying" about your gay [censor] scamming company, those are not tears, those are words of anger because they are being screwed over. I'll give your company up until 5 years to be shut down. As much complaints as ya'll get someone WILL end up giving FPL what they deserve, which is to be [censor] on just like they were. I would def. make a suggestion to switching company's since these [censor]s do nothing but answer phones and find out what is the quickest way to cut your power off. BUNCH OF LYING [censor] SCAMMING FOOLS!!!

• Yo
      30th of Jul, 2010

to the fpl so-called customer who seemed to love fpl like it's free food. YOU ARE AN IDIOT! whoes anus are you kissing. I am never late on my BILL, but i do feel these other people's pain. FPL IS A FRIGGING RIP OFF. so shut the hell up!

• Se
      14th of Aug, 2010

we are also have a problem with FPL too. we have our account set up on auto pay and a separte bank account set up for the fpl bill to be pulled from. We only deposit the exact amount of moneyto cover the bill into that account. well the monthly bill for july was pulled in full and our account was current. But five days later without even receiving a bill a charge of 2.29 tried to debit my account like five times costing me and overdraft fee on my account of 40.00 each attempted pull and a 23.00 return cheeck fee times five on my fpl account. I called to try to have an obvious computer error corrected but all i got from the rep was a attitude. they stated that the bill must have been short and that was the reason for the 2.29. But when i pointed out that the first debit covered the full bill and my account had been current they refused to listin. They would not pay the over draft fee's on my bank account due to the error or remove the return cheeck fees on my fpl account. Instead they suspended my online account and said i would have to pay in cash from now on. They even billed me another depoist for 500.00. And i had to pay the 2.29 by aug 18 or they were going to shut off our power. so after all the fees and xtra deposits and this months bill we have to come up with with 1000.00 or were [censor]ed. I tried to explain that my husband is in the army and he's deployed right now to iraq and im at home with our three young childeren and not working so we were a single income family and could not come up with that amount of in that short amount of time but they did not care. iwas told it was not their problem. I dont know what to do. I filed a report with the PSC but im not sure how much if any they can help. And FPL is the only power company for our area so we have no choice but to pay if we want electric. I guess absolute power really does corrupts absolutely.

• Ju
      14th of Sep, 2010

I agree, I have lived her for ov er 25 years, was turned off one time a very long time ago. I own my own home now and have for over 16 years. I do pay my bill late but never where I was turned off. They demanded a 400 dollar deposit from me or let them automatically take their money out of my paycheck. I borrowed the money instead of letting them do this. It is almost like they are the Florida (Miami Mafia). They have a product we have to have and they have us over a barrel. I have a coworker that they demand 500 dollars from and she could not afford it so she let them automatically take it from her bank acct. Now this week her bill is due 3 days before her paycheck comes in. They have now turned her electric off because there was not enough money in her acct. Also they charged her a high rate for the return check. She also has to pay the bank a fee because of this. And all of this and her paycheck comes in on Friday. They are also asking for another 250.00 deposit . This woman is recently divorce with 3 children. Florida Power and LIght is a very cold hearted company. I suppose the CEO's Need to have a good Christmas bonus.

10th of Oct, 2010

I just moved into a house and the person before me left a deposit, which I had no problem paying but then they tell me well you pay the deposit we will turn the power on, so I had to wait a week for them to turn it on then I paid them the money and they said well turn it on tomorrow, even though I paid it before 2! Then after I get it turned on the said you have 10 days to come up with $581 dollars to keep your power on, you need to pay your deposit now. The old deposit was 549! Now they expect me to pay another 500!!! FPL needs to get their head out of their [censor]!! All they think about it $$$

• Fr
      15th of Oct, 2010

I am Haitian and I am appalled by the lack of freedom in this country. It is like the government, president, governor, etc... keep ignoring the demands of the people and their moans when they scream injustice, like in the case of FPL' diabolical approach to overcharge its customers and force them to make unjust and outrageous deposits. I wish the Americans were a little more like us Haitians. We would Force the government and the big CEO, insurance companies and organization like FPL to do what we want or severely suffer the consequences. In Haiti, a company like FPL would have either been destroyed by now or force to change their policy or the government replaced. I know that some of you may see these procedures as barbaric, unconstitutional or undemocratic. But, when you live in an environment where the government is not responding to your pleas and they favor those big companies that keep sucking your wealth through the vacuum of greediness, and when you are aware that what used to be yours or should be yours will never be, you lose all logic and what remains in your mind is to destroy all trace of the evil. Please, do not always condemn a people that has been screwed over and over and denied justice when it goes crazy. Sometimes, drastic measures need to take place so that a solution to a problem can be reached. It is obvious that FPL does not give a care to your feeble complaints and the government you have elected will not do anything to alleviate your situation. So, it is your responsibility to make things change course and follow the direction you want. Power to the people. "Vox populi, vox Dei" "The voice of the people is the voice of God"
    In Florida, especially, the greediness of the big companies and the indifference of governors who will not admonish them has already brought the downfall of the housing market. But, some people will never learn. FPL will contribute further to the decadence of the Floridian economy. they will put people in a situation where some of them will move out of the state to avoid being bullied by a company who force them to pay more than they can afford, or by creating in the people an attitude of total revolt where they will spent months without paying. It is a small price to pay, living for a while in darkness, and meanwhile use other temporary means to gain power, but this will hurt FPL business so much that they will change their evil policy and the nasty way they treat their customers. Believe me, you can do it. You did it already with the irrational greedy ravenous snakes of the housing market who are now on their knees begging for crumbs of payment. How good it felt for them to raise people's mortgage or charge them late fees that pushed them into the brinks of poverty, until one day, they said, they had enough.
    As an Haitian, I know how to fight and suffer to get what I want. Trust me, FPL will never change until something is done. I am not advocating violence, but reach from your heart and look for a way to punish them. If I have learned one thing is that the American people is the most creative and resourceful people on the Earth. I do not expect to hear them complaining like little girls with the spirit of defeat and no power to change things around. Be the bold people whose fierceness and amazing bravery attracted me to come to the US in the first place. Be bold, stand up and regain your dignity either it from a government, insurance company, giant organization or an FPL. 'Vox populi, vox Dei. God bless you and God bless America!