FPL / refusal to allow customer listen to tape

1 FL, United States Review updated:

Last month I called an FPL representative asking how I could lower my monthly electric bill. I stated I had a space heater I brought with me when moving from New York. I read him the information on the unit and he told me if I ran it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a month, my total cost would be $135.00. He never asked or mentioned that before turning it on, I should check to see if my panel board could handle the wattage so based on his recommendations, I plugged it in and the room in which it was plugged in blew a double electrical-braker costing nearly $250.00 to get my power to work in a room in my home.

I called FPL and spoke to a claims representative who stated she would look into the matter and one week later she contacted me stating she listened to the recorded call and FPL did nothing wrong. I asked for a copy of the recorded conversation stating I would be more than happy to pay for the cost of reproducing the tape and she stated this is "confidential information" and the only way I could obtain a copy is by a subpoena. Imagine, FPL would rather someone file a lawsuit than to simply charge the customer to purchase a copy of the recorded conversation to hear if perhaps FPL could be at fault.

FPL realizes that it would be costly to file court papers so they win every time however I am going to sue them asking for a jury trial.

It's about time consumers took their ground refusing to allow these giant companies to walk all over us.

If anyone else has had similar problems, let me know.

Ah

Comments

• Ih
      16th of Mar, 2010

My husband & I just moved back to NY from FL- we let FPL know we would be moving and told them NOT to bill us for our last months bill b/c we would not have the funds to cover it in the account that we had set up for auto-payments.. the rep stated they would send us the paper copy of our bill to pay.. well on sunday we received a letter- NOT a bill to our new address stating our January bill was due & they would be debiting our account for February's bill.. I immediately checked my account to find out they they debited my account for both bills and now my account is in bad standing and I've been charged with 2 over draft fees for not having suffient funds.. My husband called and requested to hear the recording and they refused to let him- saying they don't have the technology to allow that... HOW do you have technology to power a whole state but not to let someone listen to a recorded call.. I am in the process of disputing this with my bank (who is being VERY helpful in the situation) I am also filing a complaint with the BBB and any other agency that will accept my complaint.. If this does not get resolved the way I am expecting I WILL be pressing charges against FPL!