Ford Motor Company / premature tire wear

Portsmouth Ford
I own a 2012 ford f150, i bought on march 30 2012. At present i have 3800 miles on truck i brought truck in to portsmouth ford dealership with a complaint of front tires scalloping. Dealer told me without touching truck that this is a normal characteristic of these ford trucks. I didn't agree with dealer and wanted them to check tires for balance and alignment, they refused i argued with dealership to check truck and they checked alignment but not tires. Service writer also informed me that there were 3 truck on lot with same concerns. Ford has told me twice through customer affairs that they contacted dealer and then told me to bad i'm too picky. Now they want to rotate them and then i end up with 4 prematurely worn tires. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and how do i proceed to remedy this situation

A  19th of Oct, 2012 by
I am experiencing the exact same issue on my SCREW F150 4x4. There is no reason why my alignment should be out, the tires are inflated properly, I drive in a fairly conservative manner and on normal paved roads. I just today took this into the dealer and they are going to check the alignment but insist it is something that I pay for. I was told I would also have to pay for the new tires if I opt to get them through Ford. If Ford stands behind this as being a regular operating cost of this vehicle and not a defect I will be trading it in for a truck that won’t cost me thousands of dollars in chewed up tires a year. I really like my truck but I can’t own a vehicle that is obviously defective. Nor will I recommend this particular truck to others.
A  15th of Oct, 2013 by
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
I have Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's (P275/65 R18) on my 2013 F-150. Tire wear (scalloping) on both front tires on the inside and outside tread after 2, 000 miles. Dealer re-aligned the front said all within spec.At 4, 000 miles tires are worse not just the outside and outside 1-2 inches but all across the tread .They are getting loud sound now when driving. They did another align they said within spec.they wanted to rotate at 2k and 4k but that's way to soon looking in manual.I would just end up with 4 badly cupped tires.I leased this truck for 3 yr 36k .The tire will be wore out long before and I should not have to put tires on before 36k.What to do now?
A  2nd of Nov, 2013 by
I own a 2010 F150 XLT that had Michelin OEM tires. They wore evenly up to 25K miles. Then at 29K miles, I noticed that the right front tire was worn nearly bald on the outside edge. I thought maybe a belt had come loose, and I replaced all four with Yokohamas. After 3000 miles on these, I noticed outside edge scalloping on the right front new tire. I took the truck into the dealer, and spent $70. for alignment. After 3 weeks, I noticed the left front beginning to do the same thing. They re-checked the alignment, and said it was in spec. They have now cross-rotated the tires to see if the problem persists. The service writer even said it could be a Yokohama problem. Why then were the rear tires perfect? It appears to me to be a toe-in issue. Perhaps they need to change their spec to eliminate this problem. I haven't yet given up on this dealer, but after seeing these horror stories, I am becoming leary.
N  13th of Feb, 2014 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
winder...I have same truck same tires same problem!!! ive had it aligned 3 times in two years..dealer says its normal BS and yes just about 25k they started to go bald on the outside.
N  8th of Jul, 2014 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have the same exact problem on my 2012 Fx4 f150 with stock goodyears. I have 21k miles and the inside of all four tires is very badly worn. My friend has a similar truck 2011 tht went through 2 sets of goodyears in 30, 000 miles. This is defidefinitely a problem and not our imagination. Ford doesn't stand behind their trucks and I will be switching brands for good.
N  5th of Aug, 2014 by
I have the exact same issue with my 2007 F-150 with the optional 20 inch wheels. The insides of both front wear to the belts very quickly. One high priced alignment did not solve the problem. A national tire store told me that Ford trucks require some front end shims to correct this problem but I cannot verify the accuracy of that statement. I drive conservatively, check inflation once a month, rotate every 5, 000 miles so, I suspect, this is a serious design flaw that Ford refuses to acknowledge.
A  15th of Aug, 2014 by
I have a 2013 F150 FX eco boost and last month the front driver side tire was going bald on the inside. I took it in and the check the alignment and said it was dead on. The rotated the tires and 1500 miles later the front driver side was wearing very hard. They paid for a front end alignment and want to be keep watching. The tires are filled with nitrogen if that makes a difference.
A  8th of Sep, 2014 by
I am having the same exact problem with my 2011 F-150 4X4 Crew Cab. I got my truck in June 2011, in May 2013 at 26, 400 miles I had to replace the two front tires (the two rear tires were rotated to the front) now in September 2014 at 41, 775 miles and only 16 months later the two front tires need replaced again. I have Goodyear Wranglers 275/65R18 on the truck which were stock at time of purchase. Tires are way too expensive to be replacing them every two years or less as everyone knows. As this seems to be a common problem I think we need some answers. We deserve some answers! We have never had any problems with any of our other Ford purchases, which is all we have ever owned, but I feel Ford needs to fix this problem.
N  16th of Sep, 2014 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
My 2011 f150 had bad outside wear at 20k with the oem michelins. 3 alighnments later and a set of new yokohamas with 5k on them Im having the same problem. Seems to me either a design issue or a worn part
N  20th of Sep, 2014 by
Same problem with mine. I was told that my camber was off. Tha frame and alinment buiness said the ffr truck coming off fa
A  27th of Sep, 2014 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I have the same problem on a 2013 F150 4x4 Screw I recently purchased. It only has 15000 miles and has been very well taken care of. It is equipped with 275/65/18 Goodyear Wranglers. The inside tread on both front tires is nearly gone, especially on the passenger side. The dealer said that all they could do is let me bring it in and pay for an alignment, unless something is broken and it would be covered under warranty. I can't afford new tires that often.
N  29th of Sep, 2014 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I have a 2012 Ford F150 4X4 all the same issues 4 tires wearing. New tires at13, 000 now at 26, 000 in and out of the shop no resolution. I refuse to let Ford Motor Company screw with me. People call Ford Motor Company get your complaint documented don't let this multi billion dollar company take your money. Its a known issue lets keep the pot stirred till they figure it out. This is crap...
N  30th of Sep, 2014 by
I have 2006 F150 regular cab after 10000 miles notice the tires were wearing on the outside took it to the dealer they checked the alignment no problem however at 18000 miles had to replace the tires 8000 miles later start to wear on the outside took it back to the dealer they worked on it, consulted ford rep, checked alignment again 6000 miles later the tires completely worn out, the dealer was kind enough to split the cost on all four tires replacement aligned adjusted perfect continue to have problem the dealer doesn't have the solution, last week I called the dealer and chatted with a service rep he suggested these trucks not design for 17" wheel I should buy 16" rims and 16" tires that will remedy problem. Does anybody have an opinion on this?
N  30th of Oct, 2014 by
I have a 2010 F150 XLT 4 door crew cab purchased new on 11/10 with front tire outside & inside edges wearing prematurely. Had fronts replaced at 36, 000 miles & alignment performed but left the factory rears alone. Now at 72, 000 miles fronts are wearing again in the same way & rears are now worn out but evenly. will replace the rears & move to the front, put fronts on the rear & have another alignment & front end check done. running Michelin AT's. not a cheap tire & definitely not happy with this premature wear issue on the front end.
A  16th of Dec, 2014 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I own a 2013 F150 Fx4 SCrew, 20-inch rims I bought it in February 2013. It presently has 38000 miles on it, with Pirelli Scorpion tires. I've definitely notice extreme wear on all four tires, one of which is newer than the other 3 because I had a blowout at 3400 miles and had to replace that tire but the new tire is just as worn as the other 3.
A  3rd of Mar, 2015 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
i own an 2014 xlt ford f150 4x4 king cab i am not a flashy hot rod driver i drive back an forth to work in less than 4 mo. i have had 2 flats on goodyear wrangler p275/65r18 sra they are non repairable when they blow its like a gunshot piece of the the tire is gone if these have not been recalled they should be i dont have that kind of money thank you
N  19th of Mar, 2015 by
I bought a new 2013 4X4 crew cab in 12/12 and the OEM Goodyear Wranglers had a lot of wear problems. Ford service shop advised to switch brands of tires at 25K so I did. No after 7K miles my new Michelin AT tires they have wear on the inside front and some cupping.
All total at 32K I have checked the alignment 4 time and all is good each time according to the dealer, the dealer is great but Ford will not back them anymore. I will call Ford direct now myself so wish me luck.
N  29th of Jul, 2015 by
2014 Raptor, BFG All Terrains on it. Tires wearing on inside and outside, with regular rotations. Alignment checked 3 times. No answers from Ford.
N  10th of Sep, 2015 by
2012 F150XLT supercab. Severe inside wear on fronts (these are the Goodyear 18")...especially the passenger side. I'm past warranty now...about 38K, but I didn't notice the wear until around 30K. I don't rotate tires...too many bad experiences with tires going bad after rotation...lopping or humps seem to develop due to belt damage or whatever...nonetheless, my last Ford (a 2007) ran the original17" tires non-rotated for 4 1/2 years..about 49K before I traded it for the 2012. They were about wore out then. I'm scheduled to take it in to the dealer on Monday to have alignment checked. Tires are too far gone to save them now, but I don't want to put on new tires & have them smeared all over the road in a few thousand miles.
Is it alignment? Loose / worn front end parts? At 38K, I have to foot the bill for something that shouldn't be worn out yet. Has Ford made any statement about this. The dealer said it could be sidewall belts that are damaged. He claimed they aren't strong enough on these 18" tires...purposely soft for a good ride. Hmmm?
A  21st of Jan, 2016 by
I sent an email to Ford Motor Company in regards to this and this is the response I received as they are not getting our complaints I ask they you take time to write to them so that I am not the only one. Thanks

Thank you for providing Ford with this information. We apologize if your vehicle has not met your expectations. All comments received at the Customer Relationship Center are shared with engineering in order to continually improve the quality of our vehicles.

Please keep your receipts for if in the future we find a need to issue a Recall or a Customer Satisfaction Program for the concern that you experienced. I have also verified from our resources that there are no reports or ongoing issue with the tires of the Ford F-150’s.

Furthermore, I have documented your comments for future reference.

On behalf of Ford Motor Company as a whole, we regret the circumstances which caused you to write. We hope that we might have the opportunity in the future to restore your confidence in our products and service.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Ford Motor Company Logo Ford Motor Company