Ford Motor Company / 2002 Taurus / coil springs breaking!

I own a 2002 Taurus purchased in Nov 2001. It currently has 57,400 miles on it, is well maintained, and was never wrecked... HOWEVER, this past week we have had a front coil spring break on the roadway which ruptured a tire, tore a CV boot, and damaged the front struts. The following day after the FRONT suspension damage was repaired, a REAR spring broke while it was PARKED in the service garage. The noise was heard by two of the mechanics. Total cost for replacement of all 4 springs, front struts, CV boot, new tire, towing, labor etc. $1576.33.

FORD Motor Company refused to assume any responsibility. They had a recall for the 2001's for known spring failure but NOT the 2002's. Considering this car was manufactured in 2001, it no doubt has the SAME defective springs. TAURUS OWNER'S BEWARE!

De

Comments

• Ka
      28th of Mar, 2007

The right, front coil spring just broke on my 1996 Ford Taurus and punctured the tire in 4 places. Luckily it happened when my 16 yr old daughter was backing out of the drive with her foot on the brake still or she might've been seriously hurt in an accident that I'm sure this would've caused.. I called Ford because I know there was a recall on this for the '93, '99, and 2000 models, and they simply told me thanks for the info. However, the woman told me to save my receipts just in case there would be a recall in the future. I don't know how much it will all cost because we haven't had it repaired, yet. As far as I'm concerned, Ford should pay and they should issue a recall on ALL years of Ford Taurus' and check all of the coil springs. Obviously, it is a problem that is not limited to the years with the recalls.

16th of Dec, 2007

I also had a failure of the right front coil spring in my 2002 Taurus a few days ago, which punctured the right front tire. The car is having both front coil springs replaced as I type this. In doing a little research on the matter, Ford, tow truck drivers and mechanics are very much aware of this defect! However, they failed to act on this safety issue, saying the 2002 model has not been affected by the '99 - '01 recall. I believe this puts thousands of '02 Taurus owners at risk, and the '02 model should be added to the recall! As lifelong Ford owners, we are very disappointed with Fords inaction on this very important safety issue and will never purchase another Ford vehicle again.