Ford Motor Co / ford does not honor its warranties.

Concord, CA, United States

I bought a new 2002 Focus from a Peninsula dealership with the standard 3-year warranty, plus a 6-year “bumper-to-bumper” warranty for an extra $, 1200. Upon delivery, I complained of a burnt oil smell inside the car. I was told it was “normal, ” and it would go away in time. Upon the first oil change, I again complained about the oil smell, and was again given the “its normal” response. Next oil change, same story. I switched to a Concord dealership. Made the same complaint; got the same response. In 2006, I had a broken power window; Ford refused to cover under warranty, until I screamed, literally.

At the oil change just after the 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty expired, I am told the car has a leaky value cover gasket, that “it’s a fire hazard, your life’s in danger”, and “it needs to be fixed immediately.” After the $400 fix, surprise, no more burnt oil smell. Ford’s warranties proved to be worthless, and they didn't mind putting my life at risk for that extra $1200 that got from me. In contrast, Buick honored its warranties on my 2005 LeSabre without hesitation after it needed a repair in 2006.

I hear that Ford now has better technology that GM, but what is that worth when Ford does not honor its warrenties, and is willing to put your life at risk for an extra buck.