First Data Merchant Services / customer service
I've been (trying to) work with First data for about a month now since my acquiring bank decided to switch to First Data as their merchant services platform. Customer service is abysmal.
I just got off the phone after 30 minutes just trying to get them to change my e-mail because what they had on file from the bank was obsolete by about 10 years. 30 minutes and 3 different customer service reps, each from a different part of the organization, each of whom transferred me to another, and each of whom had to go through the same pointless "authentication" process, and I'm still not sure they actually did it.
What's even worse is that I thought they had done this 3 weeks previously when I first signed up. At least I went through the process of reviewing the profile at length with the initial contact person, and then received intro / registration e-mails from them at First Data. Apparently they were not the right "group".
The same problem was repeated in other venues (e.g., capabilities of one of their devices, PCI compliance, etc). They are way too fragmented to be effective, don't talk to each other, are allowed to only deal with their ring-fenced areas, and are generally incompetent. Frankly, I think incompetence rather than ill will is the main reason behind many of the complaints I've read about them.
All in all, over the past month, I've spent over 8 hours on the phone with various of their functionaries, many of whom speak broken English, just trying to initialize an existing account provided by the bank. The process has involved at least 4 intercessions from the bank to break log jams of non responsiveness at First Data.
More First Data Merchant Services Complaints & Reviews
- First Data Merchant Services - I hope no one uses this company 
- First Data Merchant Services - beware 
- First Data Global Leasing - credit card processing 
- First Data Merchant Services - First Data Global Leasing - corrupt and dishonest company 
- First Data Merchant Services - deceptive business practices 
- First Data Global Leasing - leased me equipment that did not meet my needs and now holding me to 36 month contract
- First Data Corporation - business ethic concern.
- First Data Corporation - credit card processing service - merchant services
- First Data Global Leasing - they tell you no fee then I signed the contract and then there was a $159 a month lease for 4 years
- First Data - terminal lease