First American Home Warranty / Poor service!

My heat pump (substitutes for a heater and an A/C) has been leaking water into the overflow pan for over a year. The overflow pipe then also leaks somewhere in the attic under the insulation, causing water to run down the inside of an outside wall and come out around a window. I have called First American about this at least 4 times, and they have sent technicians who have never fixed the problem. It is obvious that we need a new heat pump because the existing 15-year old one is rusted out, and we need the leak or break in the drain pipe fixed. I am certain that I have mold growing inside my walls after a year of this in Houston. My next move must be to sue for repairs, damages and whatever else we are entitled to get!

Comments

• Co
      19th of Aug, 2007

First American markets itself as a "Home Warranty" company. In fact ,when you place a service call to them the will send out a tech who can charge you what ever extra cost that he/she would like. The warranty does not really exist. For instance the tech attempted to charge me 150 dollars for a 40 dollar permit. When I called First American, they told me that after I paid the $55.oo dollar service fee ,the tech could charge any amount for "non-covered cost" In fact I was told that others had been charged 700.00 or more for the same service. Bottom line I have been without air conditioning for eight days with temps the past seven days reaching over 100 degrees. I have been told my a/c will not be replaced until Thurs or friday. A full 12 days after my call. On top of that. the initial charge after the 55.oo service fee was over 450.00 dollars in "non-covered amounts." Most of the additional fees were 110% markup. The company apparently encourages their subcontractor to offset their low bids by overcharging customers.

• Ou
      22nd of Jul, 2011

I had no problem getting my AC fixed but I didn't approach First American with the problem instead I took the problem to the contractor and got all the information I could get. Then I called First American and let them know right then and there that I didn't care about any problems that they may be having with the contractor. That those problems had nothing to do with me & I was told my AC unit could be fixed in a week & that I expected it to be done in a week. It might be a long shot but if you hadn't tried it you might give the contractor a call. After all if you're having problems chances are that he is too.