Fifth Third Bank / fifth third is unethical!!

1 Woodridge, IL, United States Review updated:

Do not bank at Fifth Third! I opened a CD and the banker told me I had to open a checking account with it so I did. I said I did not want a bank account there and specifically asked if I would be charged fees if I did not use the account. He told me no. I even told him not to issue me checks on this account as I would not be using it. It was clear to him that I was not using this account. He said that was fine. Well- suddenly I received a statement in the mail indicating I have been getting charged "dorman account" fees for the last 6 months. Yes- the last six months and this is the first they're telling me about it...after 6 months. I spoke to the branch manager at the Woodridge, IL branch. He told me that he cannot credit back the fees as "this money is not kept by the bank- it it paid to the government". He also told me that I have been getting notices in the mail each month from the bank telling me that they have been charging me this fee each month. I did some research and found out that this branch manager is either an outright liar or he doesn't have the slightest clue what he is doing- I think it's a combination of both. The fees they were hitting me with are collected by the bank and kept by the bank. (I believe if the account is dormant for a year or so the government collects some of that money but he SHOULD know the rules and NOT LIE). Also- the bank DOES NOT send out monthly notifications stating they are hitting me with a "dormant account fee" each month. No such notifications are sent out by the bank at all. So again- either he has no idea what he is talking about or he is a liar. Fifth Third clearly dropped the ball from the getgo when the banker told me there would be no fees and refuses to take any responsibility for what their employees including the branch manager say or do. The icing on the cake was the branch managers complete ignorance and failure to take any responsibility and lies he told me. Ridiculous. Really ridiculous and unethical to say the least.

Comments

• Br
      29th of Oct, 2012

I had a bank statement notification of a overdraft of $8.69. I was charged $12.00 to transfer money to cover the overdraft. I had over $1, 000.00 in my savings, However, the $ 50.00 was placed on my Fifth Third Master card, which I had not agreed to. I have only had the MC through Fith third maybe all of 4 months.( originally overdraft fees came from my savings account. ). But no one from the bank could tell me which employee set it up this way. So not only do I get a transfer fee charge of $12.00, I get charged with interest on my MC on a $50.00! And in the morning @ 4am, My company deposted around $2, 000.00 into my checking account. So the $50.00 transfer and $12.00 collection occurred after my deposit, so the money was there, but the two transactions occurred anyway!
    It all seems very unethical, unfair, and very upsetting. When I called the local branch and then the complaint line, No one really cared. I find this all to be extremely frustrating, sad, and "unethical"!!! I have been a loyal customer to Fifth Third for years and am very surprised at their lack of concern for the " doing the right thing."