Febreeze Liquid Air Freshener Vent Clip On

Posted:

Damaged vehicle interior

4.65
Florida
I purchased the Linen/Fresh Scent Febreeze Liquid Air freshener that is made to clip on to your air vent. I have had it in my car for four days now. Today I noticed it leaked all the way down my dashboard, and completely stripped away the paint. I am irate because it is a product specifically made for the car interior, yet it is not friendly at all with the contact of any car surface. Do not buy!! And do not buy any liquid air freshener. It will easily damage your cars interior when come in contact with.
Complaint comments Comments (65) Complaint country United States Complaint category Cars, Parts & Vehicles

Comments

N  4th of Nov, 2012 by    +1 Votes
We purchased the same product and the freshener packet fell out of the cheap plastic clip. The contents leaked on the silver console of our 2012 GMC Acadia, stripped the paint and ate into the plastic. I am very unhappy and have had absolutely no luck in getting a response from PG despite sending them the product, packaging, photographs, and description of the issue. I also told them that it is unbelievalbe that a product designed for use on the interior of a car would be made with ingredients that damage the INTERIOR OF the CAR!!! Let me know if you have any luck in getting them to pay for your damages or if you are able to locate the email for upper management at the company as I've found nothing, but will find them. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANYONE, unless of course you are looking to damage the interior of your vehicle.
A  17th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to my Subaru. The freshener dripped down the console and ate the finish and plastic all the way down including the CD player. How toxic is this stuff?? Was there any product testing on or in an actual car? Extremely upset as I keep immaculate interiors and this has definitely ruined the value! I paid $3 for an air freshner that has caused $200 damage and I see it everyday. So unhappy.
N  29th of Apr, 2013 by    +1 Votes
Same thing happened to my car and it wasn't even in there 10 hours. Completely stripped the dash board of my black interior exposing the white under neath. I am extremely disappointed in the product. Please someone let me know If they have gotten in contact with the company. I should not have to pay for something that has damage my car and was not my fault. This product should not be on the market.
N  29th of Apr, 2013 by    +1 Votes
I have used several of these and never had a problem. Could it be the way you have installed it? We have them in 3 of our cars and our family uses them as well and not once have we experienced any issues like this.
A  18th of May, 2013 by    +1 Votes
Same exact problem...you would think the liquid is made of acid! I had it in my car for 5 days with no problems...on the sixth day( a very hot day) is when the liquid leaked out.
A  19th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
same thing happened to me also the product is auto expressions vent oil, today spilled out and melted my dash board ..I am very much upset, what can we do in this scenario? can we sue the company for the bad products? please help !
N  1st of Aug, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Mahesh D This very thing happened today to my daughter who just had her new car for 5 days. Did you get any results?
N  9th of Jun, 2013 by    +2 Votes
Same thing happened to me last week. I installed one in each of my cars. One of them leaked and ate the plastic on my dash. I am sending them back the product and all the pictures they are asking for. I won't hold my breath that I will ever hear back from them though. We will see.
A  30th of Sep, 2013 by    +2 Votes
This just happened in my car. I am so frustrated, been on hold for 30 minutes with Proctor and Gamble.
N  17th of Oct, 2013 by    0 Votes
I have used this product this product 5 times in my HHR, without any problems and loved the way it worked on the dog smells. On the 6th time it dripped down my console leaving a path of melted plastic in it's wake. It melted some of the plastic on the air vent flap, fussing it into place. EXTREMELY UPSET!!!
A  4th of Jun, 2014 by    -1 Votes
I experienced the same issue. I have bought this product many times, ever since i purchased my car about two years ago and never had a problem until this one, in my opinion it must be a defective product. I cannot tell for sure but I just e-mailed P& G and they got back to me pretty fast. They are sending me a pre-paid package to include the device along with a questionnaire and photos of the damaged caused on my car. At least they are answering my concern, but Have anyone gotten paid for damages on the car yet?

N  6th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
Used vent clip in car and it to ate away at my dash.very upset .would like to know if contacting the company will do anything for me.
N  31st of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
Just happened to me today! Just bought it last night and today my car dash and radio are ruined.
A  20th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
I also am experiencing this problem. I was given the vent clip by Safelite and encouraged to use it. Safelite will take no responsibility for the damage to my dash and AC controls. Febreeze is sending me a claim form, but I am doubtful of any resolution there. The damage is 1800$. I will be consulting a lawyer next
A  13th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
Yes same here Febreeze Car Vent Air Freshener and it leaked down the dash of my BMW causing all the vinyl to bubble and melt looks dreadful, and so lucky it didn't damaged the CD player or on board computer I have managed to get hold of the company and have been asked to send photos, estimate and the offending Air Freshener to them it has only been a week so fingers crossed I should here soon. But will not let it rest as there is obviously a problem with this product now having read all the complaints. Definitely do not this product or similar products for you car.
N  13th of Oct, 2014 by    0 Votes
I'm an automotive engineer who works with interior paint. I'm sitting in a meeting with a paint supplier, and we are talking about how impossible it is to develop paint and plastic that resist air fresheners. YES, the automotive industry specifies rigorous testing, and NO, there aren't many paints that pass the air freshener test, and if the paint holds up, the air freshener tends to move through it and attacks the plastic. Part of the problem is rapid, constant change in the chemicals in air fresheners. Because it's a consumer product, there is little stability in formulation, even for the same product. The only way you can protect yourself is to keep air freshener AWAY from all surfaces inside your car! Sorry for the bad news.
A  23rd of Oct, 2014 by    +1 Votes
This the first Febreze product that I used. I installed the Linen/Fresh Air clip-on airfreshner as specified in the package directions. After the solution "ran out" I removed the clip-on air freshner from my vent and noticed that some of the air freshner had leaked out the back and "melted" the vents. I loved the product but I'm dissappointed that it caused the damage to my vents.
A  24th of Dec, 2014 by    +1 Votes
The product is garbage...do we have a lawyer? contact me please manugent2@gamil.com
A  2nd of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
It's been really cold in Salt Lake City, so I purchased a Febreze Hawaiian Scent (mind over matter). A few days later I noticed that it was leaking and I immediately threw it out the window. Yesterday I got some "goop off" to remove what I thought was "stickiness" from the leakage, and I noticed that it stripped away some of the dashboard paint on my 2004 Ford Thunderbird. It also might have leaked into my newly replaced radio/CD player. At least some manufacturers are making custom dashboard kits for this classic car so I can cover it cup, but that's $250! Oy vey!
N  22nd of Jan, 2015 by    +1 Votes
My frebreez air freshener leaked behind my buttons for heat, ac, defrost, and the buttons are all stuck and can't use any of these functions in ny car now! Also, left drills in plastic on dash and paint removed! I threw away the leaky one but am furious because my CD player isn't working either! Who do I contact for help paying to fix this! I'm disabled and live on a fixed income. NO HEAT, AC OT DEFORST AT ALL NOW!! NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET!! TM
N  7th of Feb, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Just wondering why they say they last 30 days when they really only last 1.5-2 weeks.. maybe they can fill them full? Just a thought...

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree