EasyJet.com / terrible service!

As with most companies nowadays, the European airline, Easy Jet, provides sub-standard customer service. My complaint with this airline has to do with a double-booking I made because, when I went online the day before my flight was to depart, I could find no record of my booking in my itinerary on their website. There was information about a different booking, but none about the following day's, which made me think that it had somehow not been made. Since I was concerned about getting on this flight, and, being in France, had difficulty reaching an English-speaking customer service rep (though I did have my sister call the London office that day, only to be told that I would have to call them), I decided to make a second booking. I assumed I would be refunded once I explained what had happened.

When I spoke to an Easy Jet rep at the Nice airport the following day, I was assured that all I had to do was go online when I got home and there was a form I could fill out and be refunded. When I tried to do this there was no such form and in fact their policy indicated that they only made refunds in cases of sickness or death. Nonetheless, I made my case by email, still confident that my money would be refunded, as the confusion had originated with their online booking system. After waiting 3 months for a response I finally received one, telling me that I was only entitled to a credit, for the price of the first booking, which was considerably less money than the second, and made no sense to me, as the second booking was the redundant one.

When I called and spoke with a customer service rep I was told that my complaint didn't qualify as a duplicate booking because it didn't meet their definition. The person I spoke to was sure I had no case for a refund due to the time that had elapsed between the two bookings, regardless of any responsibility Easy Jet may have had for the initial confusion. To me their definition is overly rigid and (conveniently) doesn't take into account the reason for the initial confusion--a problem with their website. The rep had no interest in hearing that this might be something they should look into.

I feel I haven't been heard, that Easy Jet hasn't accepted responsibility for their error, and that the credit they've offered me (which I won't be able to use as I won't be going to Europe in the 6-month time period they allow) is for the wrong booking, though clearly the one that best serves them, since it is 1/4 the dollar amount of the duplicate booking. I am steaming mad and feel potential customers should know about the problems they may encounter and the response they may get if they use this airline.

Apparently nowadays discount means sub-standard.

Lu

Comments

25th of Aug, 2007

I work for easyjet at luton airport, I wanted to complain that there are few staffs who take cash payment over the checkin desk (goes in pocket) and don't send passenger to sales desk. Also ask for box of sweets or any gift for not charging excess baggage. I am sure that the manager, supervisor and cog know all this but do not bother. Who will check this then???????

• Ph
      7th of Sep, 2007

VOTE WITH YOUR POCKET. GIVE ARROGANT ESYJET A BIG MISS.

I have flown with easy jet for years till yesterday. I was on a flight with my family. I'm an Airport Fireman so know very well how to open the exit doors and told the steward also. I also displayed to him how to do open an exit door on the command of the Captain. The Steward then made a point of targeting me. Not other older passengers who had not read the emergency info, and also when I asked then didn't know how to open an exit door. This is a concern to me, because my job is to save life and not pay lip service to rules. However the steward for some reason complained to the Captain. The Captain came to speak with me. He was in my face as they do to see if I'd had a drink . I had not, so that idea failed He then said he didn't like the way I'd spoke to his steward. I told him that I'd not spoke to him in any way but to disagree. No shouting, nothing. They went away and came back 10 mins later. The captain asked me to the front of the plane. He said his steward wasn't happy to fly with me. I told the captain, I wanted to get home with me family that is all. The captain said personally he thought it was a clash of personality but his steward didn't want to fly with me so I had to be taken off the Aircraft. I was aggressive. I displayed again and explained in great detail how to open an exit door if needs be. The Captain said I had to quote, (pay lip service) and pretend to read the emergency card, even though I told him other people had not and even though I told him in detail that I knew what to do, because of my profession and more over when through the procedure with ease. This still wasn't good enough, and he insisted again, that I had to pay lip service to it in order to stay on the Aircraft, and also now apologize to the Steward as well, and more over if the Steward did not accept my apology I would still be removed from the Aircraft. They had me over a barrel so as to speak. I wasn't alone flying. My partner and 2 kids were also on the flight and I would have been stuck in Spain. I did be grudgingly force my apology and shook hands with the Steward who loudly accepted!! And I was allowed to stay on the Aircraft. I did say it takes a bigger man to apologize and I note that there's no apology from the Steward. I told the Head Steward on leaving the flight, to check their data base, and they will see I have flown with easy jet for years and never once had any problems with Stewards, and in fact they were pleased that an Airport Firman was sat at an exit door.

I know it all sounds quite mad. Maybe a sign of the politically correct times when they apply rules and don't care so long as people disregard them so long as (lip service) quoting the Captain is paid to those rules. As I life saver it is more important to know what you’re doing rather than being dependent on someone who does not, but that's OK because he s lied and says he read the emergency sheet. I did ask the other passengers in the exit seats to display to me seeing as they had so called read the sheets to display to me if they knew how to open the exit doors. The Captain said I had no right to ask them that, and indeed they were angry at me.

On the 737 Airtours incident at Manchester people died piled up behind exit doors. I wonder if the first passenger nearest the exit door knew how to open the exit door. He may have paid lip service to it as the Easy Jet Captain said to me. No one will ever know.

There is no point complaining to anyone in so far as my problem is concerned. Experience tells me and again to quote their Captain, I am sure they will pay lip service to me, no more than that.

Instead, I strongly urge people NEVER to fly easy jet again. I am 52 years old and have never been treated so badly on an Aircraft as I was yesterday 7th September 2007. Lip service appears to be the easy jet catch phrase. They won't get another chance ever to pay it to me!! Philip Blinston.

I am proud of what I do. I have been involved in saving life and was awarded Employer of the year at Manchester Airport once upon a time. What’s the point though? They weren’t interested in what I knew, who I was. The plane took off and all was well. There may well be a time when it does not. I don’t want to be on easy jet when it does not!! Thank you for reading.

Philip Blinston. (phil_uk77@hotmail.com)

• Da
      17th of Sep, 2007

Dear Sir
    Ref.no ECFPN8S I HAD TO CANCEL OUR FLIGHT FOR 28TH AUGUST TO FARO&RETURN 2ND OCTOBER AS MY WIFE HAD TO HAVE A OPERATION ON 20TH SEPTEMBER.I CLAIMED ON MY TRAVEL INSURANCE BUT THEY NEED A LETTER FROM YOU PROOF THAT WE DID NOT USE FLIGHT 5419&5412.WE HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH EASYJET & HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.
    THANKING YOU
    MR.D.SHROFF

• Me
      14th of Oct, 2007
    Easy Jet - Shocking service
    United Kingdom

I recently booked a flight through easy jet for me and my friend for paris, we were to book it online. We got to the confirm page and confirmed my details as well as my credit card and the page froze, not sending me a confirmation email. We waited and did it again as we were keen to get the flight, again same problem.

Easy jet has now taken the amount out of my credit card twice, and i am not booked on the flight. I no have to wait 28days for the money to be refunded as they have stuffed up.. What a joke... Also i now have to make a case to the head office to get all my fees and charges back. I am on holidays and now $800 out of pocket on my 4 week holiday!!! Never again!!!

13th of Dec, 2007
    EasyJet - company service
    N/A

4th Dec to 6th Dec: Liverpool - Amsterdam ED148X4
    First of all I would like to mention that the aircrew are not at fault here and did the best they could with the little information they were given.
    My husband and I are from Australia and are currently working in China, we heard that my sister was having a bad time due to medicaly diagnosed depression and had been so for 2 yrs. As we were already half way it was cheaper to visit her from China rather than from Australia.
    With a quick thought of taking her away on a quick trip to Holland I booked a flight for both of us, the trip out was ok, except that I have never in all the years of traveling had to BUY food on any flight EVER.
    The return trip however was a nightmare....Flight was delayed, then delayed again and again and finaly cancelled at midnight we were finally bundled onto a very crowded bus and many had to make thier own way by taxi and were taken to the wrong hotel. Arriving at the hotel 1 staff member had to deal with booking in more than 60 people. We were finally allocated a room at 4am, just enough time to shower and get back on the coach to return to the airport. The hotel staff did the best that they could with the amount of notice given and treated all with a nice cup of coffee and breakfast in the morning (at no extra cost to us I may add) At the airport we were shuffled from desk to desk, I assume this is because the ground staff had not been informed properly. I personaly was "told" that I had to re book again at counter No. 28, after being up for 24 hrs my nerves were frayed I had had enough so went looking for a staff member who could advise me of what the hell was going on. The counter that I need to get to was ribboned off and I had to make it plain that I needed to get to the easyjet counter NOW! When I arrived at the counter I was totally ignored by the staff member in the mean time I was called by my sister who had by then been advised that we were NOW being borded at another counter. I have to tell you that I have NEVER been through such rubbish in my entire life of air travel and it certainly did not do my younger sister any favours in asisting toward easing her depression. Up until the return trip my sister started to show signs of easing up a little. In the intrem I heard many of your customers on the same flight mention that they had been able to get "cheap" flights, this did not make me feel any happier as the flights I booked were full price. In conclusion I will tell you that this is the first time I have used your airline and as long as I am able I will never use your airline again, that I am not looking for COMPENSATION of any kind, but request that the cost of our flight be re embursed. My e-mail address is attached and would appreciate a confirmation that you have at least taken the time to read this complaint. Jacqui Thomas

• Ra
      19th of Dec, 2007

I agree and easyjet need to be stop doing that, the best option is to contact the Air Transport Users Council CAA House
    45-59 Kingsway
    London
    WC2B 6TE
    Phone: 020 7240 6061 (Consumer advice line Mon to Thurs 9.30am to 2.30pm)
    Fax: 020 7240 7071

• Ra
      19th of Dec, 2007

Easyjet mean easymoney for the company, they create the online service and the phone line to make money only, they don't care about the customers service.

What easyjet do is to create in easy wealth and now easyjet need to be stop doing that.

Please contact the Air Transport Users Council CAA House
    45-59 Kingsway
    London
    WC2B 6TE
    Phone: 020 7240 6061 (Consumer advice line Mon to Thurs 9.30am to 2.30pm)
    Fax: 020 7240 7071

• Mr
      14th of Feb, 2008
    Easy Jet - Terrible service!
    Spain

My wife and I made a point of taking advantage of the "speedy Boarding" facility for our flight from Bristol/Alicante and return. REF: ECV442D. This was very important as I have a very real fear of flying, and getting aboard quietly and getting a window seat, are extremely important to me. before the usual surge pours in.

Going out was no problem. However, we checked in at Alicante for our return flight, used the "Speedy Boarder" check in desk and were given our boarding passes. All appeared well until the call came for the Speedy Boarders to be admitted, and we were turned away because the check in desk clerk had marked our boarding passes with a B,despite the fact that all our paperwork listed us as speedy boarders..
    None of the Easy Jet staff on the gate were the least bit interested, despite the fact that we were able to show them our paperwork. Not only were we not allowed to join the speedy boarding party, but there was even an "A" group getting aboard before us!

We finally joined the rush of the "remainder", did not get a window seat, and were extremely lucky to even be able to sit together. Under the circumstances the whole flying experience was extremely traumatic.
    I consider that when we went to so much effort to get things right, some level of common sense should certainly be expected from the airline staff. I am very annoyed by the whole experience and consider some form of compensation fully justified.

• Hu
      27th of Feb, 2008

I had a problem with easyJet's speedy boarding at Budapest in February. As in when the flight was called, there was no call for SB, followed by SA, A and B in that order.

There was just a general scrummage.

I asked EJ for a refund, but they say that SB is non-refundable.

I believe they are in clear breach of contract and I want my money back.

Trouble is it costs time and money just to get a couple of quid. Wonder if there are sufficient fellow sufferers to work togther??

4th of Mar, 2008
    EasyJet - Takeover of GB airways!
    EasyJet
    England, West Sussex
    United Kingdom

EasyJet took over GB Airways, a wholly owned subsidiary of British Airways as from January and many people booked on flights booked through BA have been re-assigned flights on EasyJet from end of March.
    We booked specific flight times to accommodate (a) our son's having to be in-school for an exam, and (b) my husband's need to be in a meeting by 9am on the day of our return. When we were told of the takeover we were assured that all bookings would be honored: nothing was said about any alterations being made to days or times.

Emailed EasyJet at the time (January) to make specific inquiry about our booking - no reply. Emailed again two weeks later - no reply. Emailed for a third time - got automate reply that "all bookings will remain the same unless we notify you of a change". In other words, any sane and reasonable person would think that flights and times would remain the same, right? WRONG!

Eventually got something through from EasyJet (and they use the smallest font size imaginable, something like a 5 ot 6) and the only bit in easily read type was the bit "Do you accept flying on EasyJet" - so of course, having been reassured that all flight times and dates would be the same we said yes. Now we discover that the flight out is nearly 5 hours earlier - so school permission needed for child to miss classes, and we've just been refused. Then husband's flight back is now 12 hours later so he can't make meeting.
    Have spent at least 40 minutes trying to contact EasyJet by phone for 2 weeks - have never made it through to an operator. Have tried dialing number before the official opening time, get straight onto hold and call never taken. Have resorted to hanging on for as long as it takes - longest was over 3 hours on hold, then cut off as their working day had finished.

Have tried emailing them asking for reply - NOTHING.
    Have tried emailing them to ask them to call - NOTHING.

Have tried to contact their HQ - all you can get is a 'customer experience' line - eventually got through to a real live body (nearly dropped phone in shock!) but after some pleasantly accented platitudes he then told me he couldn't do anything about bookings!

BE WARNED: The EasyJet 0905 numbers are cosed at 65p per minute and upward. The 0871 numbers are costing you 30p per minute. God knows how much the 0800 number costs. Easy and Stelios should be ashamed of themselves. British Airways should take some responsibility for the shameful treatment of what were THEIR customers and sort it out. Fly EasyJet? Never willingly. I'll sell the holiday home if the only way to get there is by using this appalling "airline".

Stelios, get your act together. Get off the TV promoting yourself and do something constructive, like sorting out the augean stables that is your administration and customer service operation.

5th of Mar, 2008

I agree, I have been trying to get through to easyjet to complain
    that I paid £278.06 for my flights to Malaga with meal BA. Now I have been put on an Easyjet flight with no meal flight costing £205.92 and no one wants to credit me £73.00 I am furious each time I ring I am left on hold and eventually the lines goes dead. This airline should be banned from operating.

• Mr
      26th of Mar, 2008

My friend and I booked priority boarding each way when we flew from Edinburgh to Krakow on the 10th March returning on Friday 14th March. This was because I had a bad leg and had to use a stick. This was ideal in Edinburgh as we just had to walk onto the plane but on returning from Krakow we had to board a bus out to the plane. We had priority going onto the bus but when it came to the plane there was no priority boarding it was a stampede whether you had priority boarding or not. Those with priority boarding should have been able to board the plane first as I understood this was what we had paid for each way.

• Ki
      12th of Jun, 2008

my niece weny to cyprus 9th june 4 two wks to see her fella who is posted out there.she arrived in paphos airport 6months pregnant to find they had lost her luggage she was told it would take 3 days to find it.at the time of sending this she still hasnt got it.she was given no help no money towards getting anything.its disgusting how they have treated her.as soon as i get the correct e mail add they will certainly b hearing from me.

• Ta
      20th of Jul, 2008

I will never fly with this airline again.
    I tried to book our Christmas vacation as every year but now they put in extra charges for your baggage, sports, taxes, and many more.
    This is just not what this airline was all about to start with offering low cost, easy on-line bookings with no frills.
    I am afraid the days of easyjet are now numbered and we will be booking with other companies in the future.
    They should be renamed as NOT VERY EASY JET AS WE ADD ON LOTS OF EXTRA MONEY TO YOUR BOOKING.COM.
    This company was sold out at the right time by Stelios as it cannot supply what its name suggests -EASY.
    Try booking and you will see what I mean!

• Li
      3rd of Aug, 2008

I have had similarly bad experiences with easyjet. They are exploting the the vague term of 'extraordinary circumstances' to ensure compensation is almost never required. It is perfectly clear that short turnaround times is something they chose to do to maximise profits at the expense of reliability for customers, and the vague legislation is convenient.

I will not use easyjet again.

• Di
      11th of Sep, 2008

I would like to know if anyone can explain why easyjet flights are consistently delayed. I have attempted to establish the root cause of this problem, but with no success.

In line with Philip Blinston comment, I strongly agree. The calibre of easyjet employee's is worrying to say the least. Their aircraft appear to be crewed by juveniles; I do not feel confident that anyone of them would react in an appropriate manner in the event of an emergency.

My experience was sat at the front of the aircraft on a return flight from Cologne to be faced with junior staff who were more interested in making it back in time to get down the pub for last orders. I found this very unprofessional. Additionally, there appearances (uniforms) were shoddy and the smell of cheap scent was overpowering.

What is this speedy boarding all about? I have never witnessed such a farce in all my life, it is like a bunch of savages racing for the pot of rice in a refugee camp!
    The problem of people pushing a shoving could be solved so easily. Please two lines of barriers, one for speedy boarding and easyjet plus passengers and another for standard passengers. If you have joined the wrong queue, tuff luck you go to the back of the correct queue! As stated earlier, with the calibre of their staff this would be beyond their capabilities to sort out.

I have boycotted the airline and now drive from the UK to Geneva rather than place one foot on another of their aircraft.

• Da
      17th of Sep, 2008

I went with Easyjet on 11 Sept to Krakow from Luton. Due to my own stupid mistake I checked in the wrong bag(don't ask).
    When I brought this to the attention of the crew, Keri(sic) team leader went into action and alerted the Pilot who responded immeadiately and correctly.
    The bag was removed from the aircraft, causing a delay, but at no time were the crew anything other than tolerant and understanding.
    They also kept the other passengers informed about the delay without at any time blaming and identifying me as the cause of the delay.
    As the Pilot pointed out Easyjet take safety very seriously and the date was also relevent!!!
    My thanks to the crew.

• Le
      30th of Sep, 2008

You, like us found out the hard way its just a rip off to get more cash out of you, we paid one year only to get pushed to the back, will never use this feature again

• La
      2nd of Oct, 2008

I have found it very difficult indeed to find the telephone number of your customer service (not to say costly ) to make an inquiry.
    The person I spoke to, whilst tried to be helpful, was not able to and suggested to write an email to put my case. However, the direction she gave did not lead me to the desired email address of yours.
    Thus would you, please, let me have such an email address of easyjet by which I could inquire in respect of a payment I made to esyjet.
    Sincerely L. Nagy.

• Ni
      6th of Oct, 2008
    Easyjet - Rip Off Merchants Beware - Overcharged
    Easyjet - Rip Off Merchants Beware
    Scotland, Fife
    United Kingdom

I booked 2 different legs of a flight via easyjet. The first was from Casablanca to Madrid. The second from Madrid to UK. The 2nd leg was charged in euro currency. I paid by visa electron to avoid payment fees. The transaction was straightforward. On the Casablanca leg, again I paid in local current - Moroccan dirham. However, I was charged a booking fee although I paid using the same card. This happened again when I paid to alter the flight. I contacted easyjet - via email as no other method available. The response was shawdy and dismissive advising "As a low cost budget airline we don't offer refunds". I wrote again, advising that there is a mistake on their website that does not permit financial transactions other than fee charging debit or credit cards and enclosed a screen print as evidence. Again, a similarly dismissive response. Many emails have been exchanged and this company seem wilfully obstructive and ignorant to honest service standards and are seriously lacking in basic business ethics.

This case is now being escalated and the company investigated. I am confident of a positive outcome and refund of the money basically stolen by this company.

It is important to beware of the cowboy mentality operating within this company.