Earthlink / telemarketing, add in chares, difficult to cancel

North Carolina, United States
I cancelled my earthlink dial up account, they made it difficult. There is no way-on the internet, to cancel. Once I told them I was copying the text in the chat and would post it online, they found a way to get a supervisor to cancel it.

Then they asked for a security word, which they had wrong. They use a family member name and they told me I did not have it right. Umm...I think I know it. YOU got it wong.

What really stunk was after the intro price period they jacked the rate up to $20 a month-except for about another $5 they added on for a "family pack". Some bundle of crap they sell with junk I never asked for nor wanted. It took me a couple months to catch the extra $5 and then when I did they would not credit me the full amount they ripped me off for. They could tell I never used it.

But the worst thing was-since I had to give them my home phone number, these jerks actually went and sold it to telemarketers. What nerve. I won't use the language I used, but this is the reason you should never use this ISP. They WILL sell your number to telemarketers, without your knowing consent. I'm sure somewhere in the terms of service they may say they have that right....BUT if you knew it up front most people would opt out.

This is dirty and sneaky.

They also tried not to stop billing me for another 2 weeks or so, even though I had another ISP.
Jo