Duracell

leaking

4.95
Proctor and Gamble
California
I have been buying Duracell batteries for 30 years. Over the past 2 years their product quality has fallen to a level they were at 30 years ago. I bought the product and reccomended it to others because it lasted longer, and did not leak. The past 2 years has proven to me that Duracell is no longer a trusted product. The Durability is GONE. Leaking battery has destroyed a $400 tool when the battery was only for a light in the tool. There have been so many of the Duracell batteries leaking in my equipment that I would rather purchase a product that does not last as long over one that will destroy my things. Both choices are horrable for the environment.
On top of that, Durracell and their parent company Proctor and Gamble do not have a place to complain about the product, so it is obvious they are too large to CARE.
I guess I am now a follower of the bunny.
Complaint comments Comments (40)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

D  2nd of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Yo man, that is like so not true (sorry to burst your bubble). They do have a number that you can call to complain about leakage and they will issue you a reimbursement for the amount of the product. ex. a battery leaked in your $400 tool- they will send you out a $400 check plus a free coupon for the pack of batteries that you purchased. So like don't complain and get all hissy on me man... here's the damn number... 1-800-551-2355. I think that is the number off the top of my head. If not then the number is 100% defenitely on the back of the Duracell package. Also, if you have any questions man feel free to send me an email to eytan.johnny@gmail.com or yhjk67@hotmail.com allright... i'm oughta here man. Just trying to help the world one person at a time.

Peace out dude,
Love,
Johnny
A  28th of Jun, 2010 by    +4 Votes
I do agree with the original poster of this column.

I had a maglite and a flexible/bendable light that were affected by the leakage.

I did send my tools back for repair or replacement. Here is what Duracell did, they sent me a check for $9 for the damaged maglite, but they did not give me money for the flexible/bendable light (nor did they send it back to me).

I called them to complain, and to ask where my second light was. They did not know! I asked them, if they can't fix it, I would want it back so I could fix it myself.

I was pissed! If you don't plan to pay me for it, or repair it, at least send it back!

Stan
A  24th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
YO Johnny... I hate to burst your bubble but will do so. Yes they do have a number to call but, try getting reimbursed for your equipment and time. I was told they would not accept a claim unless you have the original battery packaging and receipt for the equipment. Really!?! How long do you keep the bubble pack after you empty it? Days? Months? Or do you 86 it with all the other trash. My total loss right now is well over $650. Not to mention the time it will take to empty my desk and haul it to the furniture doctor for re-finishing. And what will I do without my work desk? HMMM! I had one vendor for a piece of equipment that was repaired under warranty, even though it was obvious what caused the failure, STRONGLY suggest that I use only Energizer batteries in the future. I will take their advice since they saved me $250!
A  27th of Dec, 2010 by    +4 Votes
I also noticed a dramatic decline in quality over the last two years. Their AAA batteries leak after only a few months. I have ruined 2 aircondinitioner remotes and a portable radio. The batteries in question have expire dates saying March 2013.
A  5th of Apr, 2011 by    +3 Votes
Attached photo shows the latest case of the battery leakage I experienced. I was not sure about the Duracell's quality degradation till I read posts online including here.
A  4th of Aug, 2011 by    +3 Votes
Totally agree with everyone about the quality going downhill. I did send P&G a complaint but won't hold my breath about getting reimbursed for any damage, simply going to send all Duracell batteries to the recycling depot at my local dump and will purchase Eveready from now on plus maybe buy some of their stocks as it seems everyone is having this problem.
A  5th of May, 2012 by    +3 Votes
In the past year I have had 2 AA Duracells leak all over a Walkman and ruin it. 4 D Duracells leak in a Maglight flashlight, and 2 AA leak in a clock that had to be thrown out! I have a nice airconditioned house and the batteries are inside (just so you don't think they are in a garage in the desert or something) It was April of 2012 when the AA's were found leaking in the Walkman, and the expiration date on those batteries is 2014! similar dates on the other items too. The point is that their batteries should not leak like this. This is what happened in the 50's before they conquered this problem. I'm done buying Duracell. Who wants to have their equipment ruined and then try to get them to make good on replacements? I have better things to do with my time and I'm sure most other people feel the same way. Avoid Duracell and save yourself a headache!
A  14th of Sep, 2012 by     Best Advice +5 Votes
I had the same thing happen to me recently. I contacted customer support. After providing some basic information, I was told I'd be sent an envelope and some information by mail so I could send the batteries and my device to Duracell for "examination". I was told the device would be returned to me in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. Well, the package arrived today. Inside the package was a coupon for a free 8-pack of batteries and a form requiring my signature to acknowledge that I understand my device will be "thoroughly examined" and cannot be returned to be because "the examination will destroy the product". You have got to be kidding me! Shouldn't they be examining their leaky batteries instead of the $250 digital recorder that was destroyed by their defective batteries? How does destroying my recorder help me? How does this resolve anything? If anything, it would appear they're doing nothing but destroying the evidence. Did they honestly think they could resolve this with an 8-pack of batteries? I assure you, they've lost a 30+ year customer over this. I'm extremely disappointed. Photo attached.

N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    +1 Votes
@Greg_P Same with me. I bought expensive Lumiere battery operational candles, have 6 high end, another 6-10 less expensive copycats. Limited editions too. Change batteries in the every January after Christmas...every single battery leaked. Livingroom clock, flashlights, my Sony Sureshot camera, etc etc...I changed 11lbs of batteries the other day, most had leaked. Furious??? YES. Send all my ruined things in? Are they going to pay for the moving van and replace it ALL...what about my vintage holiday decorations??
N  24th of Sep, 2012 by    +3 Votes
Greg,

I also have an audio recorder (Tascam DR-40) damaged by Duracell batteries. However mine were NiMH batteries that somehow overheated (I did not put them in backwards) and melted the battery door. Should I not bother with sending the device back? I also am leery of their form of the "examination will destroy the product." Did you send it back?
N  24th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
Hojong, I did not send them my digital recorder. Remember, there's no guarantee Duracell will reimburse me for any damages. So, if they refuse to reimburse me for the digital recorder their leaky batteries destroyed AND they destroy or refuse to return the digital recorder to me I'd be left with absolutely nothing. Then what can I do?
A  31st of Oct, 2012 by    +2 Votes
I have experienced the EXACT SAME THING over the SAME TIME PERIOD so bubble busters or not all I can say is I JUST hung up the phone from a lady at Duracell and they are send Call Tags for my equipment. however it really doesn't help when you need something and find out that its full off a nice alkaline powder that'll eat holes in your clothes... and before some chimes in about THAT not being true go put on a tux and play around with a few and ignore the dust. If it'll eat the wiring away in a device silk is a piece of cake.

Wasn't until I began writing this that I realized I forgot to mention tho the really nice lady doing her job about a device for the list. Yes a LIST as I've been bagging these batteries and devices for awhile now. Last 2 years so add that to the original post and how many years are we spanning? I already had one go around with them on a device ... a Weather Direct system which is not cheap. They paid me for it and sent me coupons which I would have thrown away had I known the next 2 years were gonna be such a powder fest!

My list of Logitech gear like A Harmony Remote ($90.00) that i never got to use because the batteries that expire 3 years from now ruined it fast! Before I even figured out the programming but then I'm rather slow (figuratively speaking) but we'll skip that part. The a Logitech "EASY CALL" wireless mouse keyboard and audio center that runs $100 or more. Another Logitech wireless USB remote which at this point I began to wonder about what Logitech and Duracell have against each other.? A couple clocks which I did throw away but kept the batteries. More Weather Direct devices... the sensors which the wiring was eaten away. Funny... the one they replaced using their free batteries got the same treatment. You ever buy a Fluke DVM (Digital Multi-meter)? I have. Wish I still had one.

I work in electronics. I know my stuff. I'm also a musician that works with power supplies daily since the mid 70's. I also do custom mod work on guitars and outboard gear. In the midst of being nice to the lady, picking up batteries I think are illegal to mail I forgot to mention the latest .find. I have a 1978 Fender Stratocaster worth about $4, 000 now. I'd done some mods to it and it required a 9 volt. Imagine my thoughts as I opened it up to see a powered 9 Volt sitting next to a custom made pre-amp nestled inside a $4, 000.00 guitar. How what joy. You think I'm sending THAT in? HA! But I will take a picture and include it. Along with a repair bill. Then I know without looking there's another 20 year old brand new Jackson Charvel Telecaster which is worth quite a bit that has the same pre amp in it. With a 9 volt Duracell that my money says leaked all over inside the cavity. Another repair and pictures to include.

So now we aren't talking about a throw away flashlight but rather collectables that will continue to rise in value UNLESS the finish is tarnished, electronics are ruined and it's all because of something I grew up with trusting I can now trust to fail.

There are things I was told that will mess a battery up and cause these to leak. Storing in a hot humid place is one. Now I'm thinking these are coming by boat from hot humid places where they are made. And I'm not talking about the Mississippi and New Orleans here either. 90% of mine came from WalMart. They are outta where? Do they HAVE a USA product? The other 10% came from Krogers plus I live in the southeast which is lovely during the summer. Our sister city is in the Amazon.

It's unfortunate that I can now depend on these to fail and am worried about a Guitar sitting is a studio in Nashville right now. Is Duracell being helpful? Yes. Does it really help? No. After this long and seeing a repeat performance and only an increase in the speed at which these decay I don't hold much hope. I see commercials of kids at St Jude's getting presents powered by Duracell's and feel kinda bad actually. NASA has got to be getting a specially made battery. No ifs and or buts about it.

Keep your products and bag those batteries and write down the list of items, prices and the places where you bought your batteries BEFORE you call. Then tell THEM to pay to pick it up. That's what I did.

Something is wrong. At least I'm trying to help them figure it out. Now if they care or not is another story. My guess is they aren't in the business to ruin our gear. However for the last few years that's what has happened for me and a lot of others. If i needed a pacemaker I really wouldn't want a Duracell running it. Would you?

Richard / Knoxville TN
N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@psycom I don't want to send in my rotten batteries nor my ruined items because then I have NO PROOF if there is a class action lawsuit.
A  5th of May, 2013 by    +2 Votes
Well, recently I went to use my trusty, much used, Mini Mag-Lite, only to find it nonfunctional. I thought that maybe the grandsons had been playing with it again, and had exhausted the batteries (Energizers). I opened it, only to find the Energizers welded in by corrosion. These are batteries that had been replaced only about a month earlier, and the flashlight had been used on, and off regularly in the house. Energizer replaced it with a $15 coupon for their products, of course. I've been using Energizers ever since a set of fresh Duracell AAs nearly destroyed my $2, 000 + Nikon professional camera several years ago, which, after jumping through many hoops on my part, Duracell begrudgingly offered to have me send the camera in to them, or I could send them the repair estimate. I sent them the estimate, and, surprisingly, I had a check for the full amount in my hand within the week. But, that incident, along with some less devastating leaks in Duracell products caused me to stop using their products altogether. Two days ago, my wife hands me her 2D Mag-Lite, and asked me to replace the bulb since she knew the batteries were still good as the flashlight had worked the day before. I decided to check the batteries with the multimeter while I was at it. Now, I'm a strong man, upper body wise as my lower body is disabled, but I struggled mightily to get the end cap off. I found a HORRIBLE mess of corrosion within. I banged the end of the flashlight on the wood bench until I got the first battery out. It was, of course, a Duracell which we had put in about 5-6 months earlier when we couldn't find some Energizer D cells for some reason or other. This flashlight gets used frequently for short bursts looking for things in dark places, so it hasn't sat idle unused. The Mag-Lite is ruined, needless to say. I went to the Duracell website, clicked the appropriate page, only to get 404 : page not found. None of their links, other than product promotional links, work. I searched the web for an hour before I happened to stumble on a random Duracell product rating page, that no longer works, and the last rating was posted as late as February 2013. Luckily there were a couple of responses from Duracell customer care listing a phone number.. I tried calling, but the number only works M-F 9a-6p. It appears that Duracell has gone cheap, and can't be bothered with email communication. The answers given on the rating page were all exactly the same for every complaint, and always blamed the consumer for the product failure. I do have to give it to Energizer, my entire dealing with them was through email, and they were apologetic, and contrite. They also paid the postage for me to send in my damaged flashlight without me even having to ask.
A  25th of Nov, 2013 by    +2 Votes
I have also had multiple items affected by leaking Duracell batteries. All of these instances have occurred over the last couple of years indicating, to me, that the product has been cheapened considerably. All batteries were not even close to expiration and were in controlled climate areas. Multiple items are now not working or not working well (after my cleanup). I have asked to speak to an "engineer" but one can't get to that department. Send something to them? I don't think so...no one to talk to or get explanation about the problem and "maybe you won't get it back because they may destroy it further inspecting it"? In addition, they send back to you a standard typed letter saying that "they found nothing wrong" even the battery was obviously destroyed by the leakage. It use to be my only brand for batteries. They no longer earn a look now. On to the "bunny". I hope that all of the big box stores pay attention to the complaints and go to another brand.
A  15th of Dec, 2013 by    +1 Votes
I have a Sony radio damaged by three leaking Duracells with a 2019 expiration date. I can't at the moment seem to locate any sort of complaints service one can contact here in France. This is not by any means the first time I have encountered leaking Duracells and in fact the local hardware supermarket where I used to purchase them no longer carries them due to the number of complaints received. Will be using Energizers in future. A shame since Duracell batteries used to be really good.
N  27th of Jan, 2014 by    +1 Votes
In just one year I have had two Duracell AA batteries that leaked and destroyed valuable electronic equipment. A friend of mine reported the same issue with Duracell batteries that had an end date of 2017. Procter & Gamble offer compensation but if your battery is one month over the end date then you do not get a penny. I asked them whether we consumers should maintain a spreadsheet with the expiry dates of all batteries in the household and check all devices before leaving home for a few weeks. As fas as I am concerned I shall not buy Duracell again. Have a look at Energizer, I think they guarantee that their alkaline batteries will not leak. For the technically interested ones: alkaline batteries contain potassium hydroxide (KOH) and they develop hydrogen (H2) during operation. Over time KOH destroys the battery's metal housing.
N  27th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
Here's the photo.

N  12th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
Duracell damage can be addressed through the following information.

DURACELL
— http://www.duracell.com/en-US/battery-care-disposal.jspx
DURACELL® BATTERY GUARANTEE
If you're not completely satisfied with a Duracell® product, contact us.

All of our batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship.
Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defects, we will
either repair or replace it if it is sent with the batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:

Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT 06801
Attn: Consumer Dept.
Phone: 1-800-551-2355
A  19th of Sep, 2014 by    0 Votes
Worse than ruining remotes, I have had the damn things leak out onto furniture and destroy it. I will no longer be buying Duracell again after having had the 3rd piece of furniture ruined by their batteries in the last couple of years!
N  8th of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
@Lisa Seng I had a Lumiere (battery candles) leak liquid battery gunk onto a pretty pricey buffet cabinet...ate a hole in the top. Buy Duracell? No way. Sold my stock, bought Energizer instead. so I'm going to send in an entire buffet cabinet??
A  31st of Oct, 2014 by    0 Votes
mag lights remotes, clocks ect.It seems MAR 2016 is a very bad exp date I have D cells that have a date of DEC2023 never used that are almost dead. A 30 year Duracell user I will change brands. It is a shame when a trusted brand of quality is compromised due to rising costs. I have not called Duracell yet and hope to have positive results.
A  31st of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes
Completely agree with everyone saying that Duracell batteries are horrible and leak. All the batteries in all our household remotes all leaked battery acid inside the remotes. I have other electronics with some crappy cheap batteries that came from the manufacturer that outperformed the Duracell batteries. And when I say outperform, I mean that they did what they were supposed to withOUT leaking. Proctor & Gamble should be ashamed of themselves for charging premium prices for subpar products!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree

Procter & Gamble (Duracell, Pampers, Lenor) Logo Procter & Gamble (Duracell, Pampers, Lenor)
Customer Care Service