Doors Plus / Incompetence and intimdation

1 South Australia, Australia Review updated:

I placed a large whole-house order back in July 2011. Since then, there have been seven months of mistakes, incompetence, untruths, broken promises and so much rudeness that it started to get funny – apart from the fact that they had thousands of dollars of my money throughout the process!
The comedy of errors runs to three A4 pages so I’ll spare you the details, but I have records of dates, names and conversations in anticipation of a formal complaint.
The final straw for me was when my wife went to collect our last lot of door handles, she was incorrectly told that there was nothing to pay. Doors Plus later realised they’d made a mistake and asked us to come in and pay the outstanding balance ($131). We explained that it wasn’t possible to do so on that day but my wife would be in the following day to pay the balance.
Shortly thereafter (on the same day) I received this text which I have copied verbatim, complete with spelling and grammar errors:
“balance outstanding for goods taken today that you new were outstanding and were informed that this must be paid by the close of business today. Various phone calls were made to no avail we will now put in hands of debt collectors as you have left us no alternative but to do so doors plus head office”
Then the following morning, this:
“outstanding account will now be listed with Dunn”
Now, I don’t know who or what a ‘Dunn’ is but I hope it’s a debt collection agency, though it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the name of a Pulp Fiction-styled hit-man based on my dealings with this company thus far.
This has been the worse experience I’ve ever had with any business. I will never again set foot in a Doors Plus store and I strongly suggest you don’t either.

Comments

• Am
      28th of Feb, 2012

I just received a phone call from Craig, the manager of the Gilles Plains store (which has recently relocated to Sefton Park).

To be fair, this particular store was a minor player in the saga and has in fact resolved an ongoing issue I'd had with another store.

It was an unfortunate series of events, misunderstandings and miscommunications that led to the offensive text messages being sent from head office. Craig has genuinely apologised to both my wife and myself for the small part that his store played. He also apologised on behalf of the company for what what had taken place prior to his store's involvement. Craig explained that there has been some recent staffing changes at the other store and believes that the poor service that we experienced there should be a thing of the past.

He asked if there was some way that he could compensate us for our bad experiences and it was agreed that some flowers sent to my wife would be appropriate and appreciated.

I was impressed with Craig and feel that he was genuine and sincere. Based on my conversation with him I would feel comfortable dealing with the Sefton Park (formerly Gilles Plains) store in the future.

• Un
      13th of Apr, 2012

We just had a business dealing with Doors Plus-Pennant Hills in Sydney. Very badly done job on three plain internal doors. The craftmanship was very poor. We gave them the measurements of the doors via the phone. To my amazement when the doors arrived, they were larger. The carpenter had to cut them. Anyway, he didn't fix the cut edges. They were pretty rugged and the doors weren't sealed properly. We took picutures and took them to the store to show the manager. He wasn't interested in the rugged edges as though they were supposed to be like that from cutting. Anyone yrear 7 woodwork student would know that you would need to smooth the uneven edges and especially if one has to pay so much for a plain door. Anyway, the carpenter came again to seal the doors plus fix the edges. Now this time the paint job on the edge wasn't done nicely and it affected the front surface of the door. Complained to the manager via the phone. He bascially brushed us off and said we expected too much. Then we went up to the store and told him that we weren't expecting anything grand. We were just expecting three plain doors that have nice even edges and a good coat of paint. The manger went on about we have different expectations. I was thinking how much lower could we go? Just four even edges and nice coat of paint. Just want to say, do not use Doors Plus. They are rude and try to pass the blame to the customers for having high expectations. Whatever happened to customer service? Just "DO NOT USE DOORS PLUS'