Dollar Rent A Carldw scam

I was quoted about $400 for a two week rental. After verbally denying insurance 3 or 4 times, I was asked to initial. Lo and behold, they signed me up for insurance. On the contract it was listed as LDW, or loss-damage-waiver; hidden in plain site.

In the end I was charged $340+ for this LDW, which I had declined outright. When trying to work with Dollar for a credit, they refused to budge and refund my money because I initialed the "LDW" option.

Check out my full review here: http://www.alexbr.com/wblog/?p=77

Stay away. Dollar is a bunch of scammers and thieves, no better than your average sidewalk conman. I would even say they are worse because they hide under the guise of a "legitimate" business.

Al

Comments

• Er
      Mar 23, 2012

A word of caution to everyone, who intends to rent Dollar/Thrifty cars in Germany. Dollar/Thrifty uses a licensee in Germany with very dubious, misleading, deceptive and fraudulent business practices. When you order the car on the Dollar or Thrifty website, you will receive the usual confirmation, which breaks down the rental cost in its subcomponents such as airport fees, VAT, road tax etc. Nothing was mentioned of a mandatory insurance premium of €20 ($28) per day. For every car I ever rented anywhere in the world, the credit card always covered the insurance premium. The AMEX Gold card specifically mentioned this coverage. It was the counter agent at the airport, who insisted on another €400.- ($560.-) insurance premium. It is highly immoral to spring this surprise on customers who just arrived on a sleepless trans-Atlantic overnight flight. This made the car the most expensive car I ever rented.
    In addition, the car had no air conditioning and when I started phoning the agency on the 0700 number supplied on the rental agreement, I was constantly put on hold and transferred to other agents and found out later, why. The 0700 is not toll free number, but costs appr €1.- ($1.35) per minute, an attractive side income for the agency. Should you be in the unfortunate position to have to call the agency for help, use their German direct dial number [protected]. It will still be a long-distance call, but infinitely cheaper than the 0700 number. I spent an additional $50 in calling the agency for help, which I never got. I drove around in an oven for 3 weeks with temperatures of over 30C (85F). It later turned out that the connecting hoses for the A/C on this brand-new car were missing.

• Be
      Aug 15, 2017

I am having the same exact problem right now. I was charged an additional $200+ for this "insurance" which I told the woman a few times I did NOT want. She then said "oh you're getting a free upgrade! This is included! But I need for you to sign that you're picking up the car". Guess what. There's a charge for the stupid insurance. I am fighting this as far as I can. I've been renting cars for a good while and I have never asked for the protection because I pay a premium on my auto insurance for renters. I am BEYOND disgusted with Dollar.