Diversified Collection Services / Awful company

United States Review updated:

I could not believe the gall of these people. They contacted me several weeks ago by letter, how they got my address I don't know---but I've disputed how much they say I owe on my student loans and have yet to hear back with any proof about that. Then today the lady I am currently buying a home off of calls me to let me know someone is trying to reach me. It ends up being the same lady who sent me the letter from DCS! Is this even legal? I can't believe they would go and contact someone who has no relation to me about this loan! How did they even get her number? I am in disbelief over the whole thing and will absolutely be getting in touch with them tomorrow. They are horrible in my opinion and the other posts on this site back up that sentiment.
Br

Comments

Ta
  6th of Jan, 2010
I spoke to Joe Johnson from Diversified Collection Services, regarding student loan debt. The amount that I borrowed in comparison to the amount they want me to pay is at least 4 times greater than the original Student loan. I told him that I can't pay that amount. (I am a 57 year old person that has been suffering from chronic body pains to the point where I am unable to walk and at times unable to care for myself and am unemployable). Anyway, in an arrogant and pompous way of speaking, he told me that I have to use my charge card to pay the debt. That's a bunch of bull and his threat is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act. Furthermore, he said that my SSI check will be offset by 15%. As far as I know, the law exempts SSI recipients. He further made no effort in telling me of the various programs that can assist me, according to a letter that I received from them, thus violating the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act again, this time by writing a false and misleading letter that seemed hopeful. In conclusion, the uppity snobbish guy hung the phone up on me. Nothing was resolved, so I'm sending a "certified mail, receipt requested", stating that I dispute the validity of the amount that they want me to pay.
Si
  26th of Jan, 2011
I do believe this Diversified Collection agency is just a fake. Prior to be harrassed by phone calls everyday, they asked me for my date of birth. I immediately refused to give any information. They called me every day.
Bo
  28th of May, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
DCS tried to collection a debt that wasn't mine. Jennifer Garcia was the collection agent and she is horrible in my experience. This company does not do their due diligence in confirming the debt to the person. Make sure to send a letter of dispute & cease and desist letter and it should stop them from contacting you on a debt that isn't yours. Send it certified mail. JUST DON'T sign the letter - be aware this company has had several deceptive practice lawsuits against them. You don't want them to have a copy of your signature. When I called, they keep saying "for verification purposes, please confirm your..." They aren't confirming anything, just trying to get as much info on you as possible.