Dish TV India / Shoddy services!

India Review updated:
Dish TV India
I’ve been looking for fora to share my anguish over Dishtvindia’s service so members are aware of the pitfalls of subscribing to them. In Gurgaon, Haryana, I went to a dealer (Gateway in Supermart) who had advertised about the service, in March 2005 and paid for the hardware and the maxi package for the whole year. On a subsequent call to Dishtv’s call center in Noida, I learnt that the VC provided to me was in someone else’s name – Gateway’s owner promised to get that issue rectified but despite a fair amount of follow-up, that didn’t get done, and call center representatives conveyed inability to change the name no matter what we provided as proof of payment. They simply said that it didn’t matter whose name the VC carried in their records, it was our address and phone numbers they had against it and we needn’t worry beyond receiving channel transmission.

Two weeks ago, though, our channel transmission was discontinued even when our renewal payment made in July 2006 was for the whole year. Initially, the call center representatives pointed towards a lack of payment from the dealer, but for the past 6 days, they just tell us that the service will restart in 24-48 hours, and that is still to happen. The owner of Gateway finds this issue too trivial so doesn’t return our calls, and his johny just tells us that the error has been on Dishtv’s side and our money was indeed transmitted by them. He has provided 2 reference complaint numbers for his calls made to Dishtv but they are no use to me without the channel service.

Granted that there can be gaps in record management, but it’s clear that Dishtv doesn’t have a decent complaint management system. Nor is the company making efforts to manage its ever increasing network of dealers/subdealers/sub-subdealers or customers. It’s going on increasing its customer base by opportunistic advertising without any thought to quality of its service or customer satisfaction -- if some customer rep does decide to do his bit in plugging gaps in my case, it’s anybody’s guess if the company will do anything about several days of shoddy service it put me through.

Jyoti Bhargava.

A  3rd of Mar, 2007 by
DishTV IS WORST EVER company in terms of support. When we call them and tell that we are existing customer we are put on hold for ever. If we call again they don't pick the phone. THE HAVE VERY POOR ETHICS.
A  9th of Mar, 2007 by
I too had very poor response from the helpline of DishTv
A  18th of Mar, 2007 by
Yes Jyoti I have the same problem , Please TELL ME HOW YOU SOLVED THE ISSUE , the dealer or the company mixed up the VC card now my VC card is one which is not paired with the setup box. the dealer tells the same thing 24 hrs keep on. And some miracle will happen .. the customer support send me a stupid mail, almost like saying we cannot help fools like you who have got such a stupid set.

--------------------------------The mail they sent -------------

Thank you for writing to Dish TV.

This is in reference to your Request regarding

We would like to intimate you that it cannot be paired with the given stb because it is paired with the another vc

Assuring you the best of services. Looking forward to a long and healthy relationship. Continue experiencing the new TV entertainment with us.

Thanks and Regards,
Customer service
Dish TV
"The future of T.V. entertainment"
A  28th of Mar, 2007 by
I will never recommend Dish TV to anyone. they have the worst Billing and Complaint Handling systems. Their response to complaints is atrocious. Their billing software is a nightmare and designed for creating atleast a few errors every time it is operated. Dish TV has lost the edge of being the first DTH company and they have all the customer goodwill. I am switching over to Tata Sky.

A  3rd of Apr, 2007 by
I agree with Jyoti Bhargava, since I am facing the same problem. As per Dish TV, the dealer from where I bought the set, did not pay the full amount to Dish TV and hence Dish TV Noida deducted the due amount from my subscription renewal.

Any number of complaints and letters to them falls on deaf ears.

I DO NOT recommend anybody to buy Dish TV. Better go for Tata Sky instead.

BTW: Jyoti, did Dish TV solve your problem?
A  7th of Apr, 2007 by
The DishTV's billing software is atrocious. I am in total agreement with Krishna Raj as I have similar experience. Although, I have been paying full amount since installation, DishTV is claiming that there is due amount from me. No matter what I tell the CSR, they keep on maintaining that there is something due from me.

Any of the complainants has been able to sort out this issue?
A  18th of Apr, 2007 by
I too have receive the same worst service from dishtv. first of all they took more than a week time to install the setup box but the dealer promised that they will install with in two days. And another is my setup box remote is not working past two days (not even 20 days i purchased it) and still i am struggling to find the service center to change it. when i call them, they gave an service center number in my city which the number is not exist at all. I am thinking to go to consumer court, if their service continues this manner. uh...
A  14th of Jun, 2007 by
Yaa, 3 years before i became the dealer of dishtv india from punjab distt hoshiarpur city Mukerian. My firm name harkrishan Electronics. id is 5078. I had deposited security amt of 10000/- rupees. They said this amt will be given after three years. Now after three years they are doing nothing yet. I closed my account in june, 2004.
A  3rd of Jul, 2007 by
I would be very interested in lodging a formal complaint with consumer protection court / any other agency. While Tata Sky service is just above-class, this idiotic company (I do not find a better word than this) has no moral values for resolving the consumer issues. Any suggestions?
A  5th of Jul, 2007 by
My Dishtv stopped working all of sudden and made complaints to its nos with us. the telephone no. on website is either a STD call or Local BSNL toll free no.I registered a complaint with Ghaziabad/Noida no. assurance was given that it will be attended by the service engineer within 24 hours. it was not attended for next 48 hours.Again i contacted on same STD and a non technical boy came on next working day. After spending about half an hour the boy told us that wire connected to it is not original wire.Although connection was given by an authorized service provider and distributor of the company. The boy asked us the permission to replace the same on charges,which i agreed.Boy promised to return in two hours. He didnot came back for next thrr working days. Then I managed to get Mobile no. of a sales magrMr. batra at lucknow.He was very polite and listened my complaint and asked one gentleman Mr.Nadeem to look after it.Mr. nadeem was also very polite and assured us of a visit by Technician. Nobody attended my complaint for next working day.again I called Mr. Batra,who talked with mr. Nadeem and then the same boy came with a wire. Wire was replaced but it didn't work.Now he said this SetTop Box is not working and took it away for repair against payt. No reply came to us for next three four days. We again contacted Mr. Batra. this time he gave me the no of Mr. Vikas Srivastava.He asked for two days time and no reply came to us for next two days. then again My son contacted Mr. Srivastava, who told him that your settop box is effected by water and it may not be repaired.he requested him to return the Set Top box. I am still waiting for the Settop Box.Three days have already gone. I have not watched TV since last 21 days, perhaps for the first time in my life since TV started in 1970'. Thanks to my opting for better viewing than Cablewals. Thanks to new technology and its services.

Suresh Kumar Agrawal.
N  10th of Jul, 2007 by
I got my DISH TV connection in JUNE 2005; I live in Chennai. DISH TV was a boon when CHENNAI got flooded repeatedly during Dec '05 and when everywhere there were power outages, I could get to see the TV. That was a plus. As regards the minuses, they are aplenty. Firstly, signals of Channels get weaker after 6 P.M. Second, a few Channels like Jaya Tv gets out-of-bound for some unknown reasons. Sometimes, a few scrambled channels make a person to pull his hair in despair and to switch off TV set itself. And lastly, the renewal of subscriptions: It was a harrowing experience for me over the last 6 months. Even after the cheque was encased, my account was not updated. I ran up a big telephone bill on account of the calls I made to Call-centers both at NOIDA and at Chennai, not to forget the calls made to all and sundries ( I mean, the so called, agencies, whose sole purpose is to make money ). Indian Team bowed out of cricket-world cup, but I did not receive the signals though my subscriptions were fully paid. At the time, a message, " please contact no 1860-180- 3474" was present in ESPN or STAR Sports Channels went on appearing. Since Indian team failed, I did not pursue further. But, before the pay-channels got introduced , I saw good number of movies on all the channels. It was short-lived.
Thus it is a mixture of sour and sweet, more sour, due to all complicated renewal procedures. As a service Provider, why can't they accept a cheque payable to say "DISH TV INDIA" like any others say, BSNL or Bharti AIRTEL etc?
N  22nd of Aug, 2007 by
Im also one of the dealer of dishtv, as far as im concerned till now i have not received any complaints from our customers whether it is regarding signal or renewals. In case if you have any problem you can mail me so that i can find solution for the same.
N  12th of Sep, 2007 by
suddenly 894 is disappeared from 3 days - Its TV9 telugu news channel - Why i don't understand - Please re-active it at the earliest.
A  15th of Sep, 2007 by
sir,iam payed money for 6 months package in 12th september but upto now we dont receive any signal.How long it take to activate the service.Sorry sir iam totaly upset for ur service.
A  23rd of Sep, 2007 by
I bought a dishtv connection in may2007,my card no is 01504305590-2, also it was a multi connection.For 1month it was free and i didn't renew,and next month the connection was gone. Then i went to renew the connection, then i was asked to pay an amount of 4450 for one year and i paid the amount. They told me that it will take some time to reconnect, so i kept the receiver in on position for 5to6days in a sports channel, there was nothing and it shows no access and to contact customer care. When i call the agent he told me that he paid the money and it is already active. Now its one month over still it is showing no access, what should i do now, how i can know whether the amount is paid, pls help me
A  28th of Sep, 2007 by
Dish TV is one of hte most pathetic DTH serive. their customer service is the poorest of all. I was a fool when i thought of investing in their rubbish box and am sincerly thinking of switching over to TATA Sky.
N  28th of Sep, 2007 by
Dear Mohit,
I understand that might be the case with you.....i am also using dishtv for 2 years....still its working fine for me....till now hardly ever i called up customer care for any problem....even i don't remember when i called up last....can you list the instance here where you called up customer care and won't get any proper response.
A  25th of Oct, 2007 by
Jyoti, I too have very bad experience with DishTV for the last one month.T he worst ever service providers from a corporate level organization. The poor consumer should go to consumer court for value of their money. That is only option left.
A  25th of Oct, 2007 by
Jyoti,I too have big problem with dish tv channels even after paying the subscription for the last one month. Several times complained on line. But no rectification. The worst ever service from a corporate organization. Not acceptable to the consumer. Only the option left is to complain in consumer court and ask of damages and value for our money. I advise everyone who has problem should immediately knock the consumer court. Then only they will realize their responsibility is not to collect money any corner of the country but also to provide efficient service for consumer's money from any corner of the country. Very bad management.
A  16th of Nov, 2007 by
DishTV is trying to market its product by creating wrong idea about the services provided by them and once product sold neither customer care nor the company is listening to the customer!

DishTV India Logo DishTV India