Dish Network / unauthorized charges!

1 Woburn, MA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-333-3474

Dish network promises one thing and delivers another. they promise rebates they do not give, they promise good service which they do not give, and they promise they are better then the competitor which they are not. Dish networks service is a far cry from a good. you sign the contract and they do not live up to there end of the deal.

They came to my house 2 times because of bad reception and promised the problem was fixed. I called approximately 6 times without customer satisfaction. The bills are much higher then they promise on the phone. My contract was supposed to be 39.99 a month and ended up being 70.00 a month. After rounds and rounds on the phone with the rude customer service we decided to disconnect.

They ended up charging the credit card we used for connection and this particular credit card is does not belong to the person who signed the contract. they neglect to inform you of this information when you are signing up there services. They did not send a bill for the $200 dollar disconnection fee and they took it from someone else account.

They are nothing but rip offs and when you see there fliers the best thing to do is turn and run.

Va

Comments

• Sk
      20th of Aug, 2007

Although the following is lengthy, hopefully, it will help you avoid the same costly mistake I made.

April 30, 2007 - Received a telemarketing call from Dish Network representative “Allen” stating that since I'd been a stellar customer for almost 4 years, if I agreed to contract 18 more months with their service, they would cancel my account and open a new account. At that point, I would initially incur a one-time activation fee of $49.99, but that amount would be refunded to my MasterCard account. Additionally, I would receive a new state-of-the-art receiver since the one I had was obsolete and I'd be able to receive satellite TV on two TV's instead of just one for 10 months at $19.99. After that, my monthly charge would revert to what I'd been paying all along. Hey, since this was a no-brainer, I agreed. A major mistake on my part! Why? Read on:

April 30, 2007 - MasterCard charged $49.99 “one-time” activation fee
    May 4. 2007 - MasterCard again charged $49.99 “one-time” activation fee
    May 10, 2007 - MasterCard credited $49.99

May 15, 2007 - Called “Shane” at Dish Network and explained three times the $49.99 double-charge and asked that it be rectified. However he told me that the extra $49.99 charge was not showing on my account nor did it appear on the Dish Network billing statement; however, my MasterCard was clearly billed $49.99 twice.

May 15, 2007 – I emailed Dish Network explaining the overcharge and requested that the error be rectified, No response.

May 16, 2007 - I again emailed Dish Network requesting assistance to correct the overcharge. No response.

June 12, 2007 – Realizing that Dish Network would not assist me, I emailed to my credit card company and requested they remove the erroneous over charge. After several email exchanges, phone calls, and furnishing written documentation, they removed the $49.99 overcharge in question.

July 24, 2007 – I received a bill from Dish Network citing a $49.99 “chargeback” (rejection of charge by my credit card company) and again charged me $49.99. I called Dish Network and finally reached a person, whom I could barely understand, and was told that although they now admitted the overcharge, ($49.99 was charged twice; one to the old canceled Dish Network account; one to my current account), that I would be required to pay $49.99 and then receive a full refund. Completely exasperated at this point, I decided to pay the amount which by this time totaled $106.24. So much for that $19.99 monthly fee!

August 13, 2007 – When I attempted to make the payment by credit card via Internet, instead of the $106.24 bill, they said I owed $37.60. What?!? However, no complaints from me on that aspect. Then when I clicked "pay" I was notified that due to the “chargeback”, that I would not be allowed to make any payments by credit card for a period of 6 months. After finally reaching a Dish Network representative and being told that nothing could be done, that I would have to make all future payments for 6 months by check, money order, etc. I explained that since Dish Network admitted to being in error for the double charge, I should not be punished for their mistake. The representative again explained in a scripted fashion that nothing could be done. At this point, I demanded to speak to a supervisor or anyone who would have the authority to rectify the problem. The representative absolutely refused to transfer me to another person and the conversation was subsequently terminated.

August 16, 2007 – MasterCard again charged $49.99 “one-time” activation fee.

Since I was unable to talk to any person at Dish Network who had the authority to rectify their error and was very concerned that my pristine credit rating may have been negatively impacted by their incompetence, I recently submitted this complaint to the Florida Department of Consumer Services and received an acknowledgment, but no further feedback to date.

Please be extremely wary about Dish Network because it's all too clear they don't have a clue what customer service is and it's readily apparent that their billing department is utterly incompetent.

• La
      19th of Dec, 2007

I was lured away from Direct TV by AT&T telling me I would save money by bundeling all services together. I was happy with Direct TV and regret changing .About all I have gotten from Dish network is a bunch of double talk about the 100 dollar rebate that I now don't qualify for I sent in all the forms and was assured that I would recieve it as a10 dollar per month discount off my bill. What a bunch of lying you know whats.I have learned never to buy any service over the phone unless they sign in blood & fax it to you. Worst customer relations that I have seen in my 63 years.

• Tr
      18th of Jan, 2008

I had Dish Network installed last spring. I was given the usual promise of free installation, if I sent in the proper paperwork to the proper place within a specified time, and 3 months of my choice of movie channels. I missed the deadline on the installation rebate and just as they counted on I forgot to call to remove Starz after my trial period was up. I finally got around to canceling these channels and have been told there is a $5 fee of changes to the account unless it is for a upgrade or addition.

That is absurd!

• Ca
      7th of Feb, 2009

LISTEN, MY WIFE'S ACCOUNT WAS STOLE FROM BY THEM TOO. IF YOU READ THE CONTRACT, IT HAS TO BE YOUR CARD, NOT SOMEONE ELSES. IF WE CAN GET A CLASS ACTION SUITE, ALL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WILL KNOW HOW TO GET THOSE THIEVEN ###!!

• Zo
      25th of Sep, 2009

There was an unauthorized "one-time" charge on my debit card/ checking account of $4.99 from Dish Network. I do not, nor have I ever done business with Dish Network. I contacted my bank immediately and had my debit card closed and they are issuing me a new one. I don't know where this charged stemmed from, but I was afraid that they were testing my account and could have come back later and hit my account with a larger fee. The number listed next to the debit charge was 1-800-333-3474. I called Dish Network at this number and they said they didn't know where the charge came from either.

• Do
      21st of Mar, 2010

Didn't Notice the Charges because of electronic statemet delivery. (Changed that to regular Mail)

Spent most of my Sunday on the Phone with Dish Network. Spoke with 2 reps & one supervisor.
    Advised to lock all dvr's (TV'S-EACH REMOTE).

No Time Available for Pay Per View Movies, because they run all day. (Total 2 in 3 Months in One Statement) DECEMBER 2009
    VOD Movies were ordered in very early hours like 3am, 4am, 5am & in between.

No Credit was provided.

Only happened after I connected my DVR's to Internet (Connected DVR to Internet, according to Dish Network, 10/02/09)
    First Charge appeared on Nov-28-2010.

3 Movies were watched twice in 3 months overbilling period (within 2 days)

LOOKING FOR MORE DISH NETWORK CUSTOMERS WITH OVERBILLING ISSUES FOR A CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE

Contact Info:
    cctv1st@yahoo.com, Shawn Michael

• Cl
      6th of Oct, 2010

Dish Network is by far the worst of the worst in every aspect, whether in be number and type of channels, billing, service, you name it and they are number 1 is being the worst at doing it.ANYBODY WHO SIGNS UP WITH THIS FRADULENT COMPANY IS GOING TO BE SO SORRY AND i FEEL FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO GOT SCREWED BY THIS COMPANY.
    where is the OUTRAGE, people

• At
      12th of Aug, 2011

Dish network charged my debit card a one time fee of 100.00. I have NEVER had an account with them. I have made 3 calls so far and no one can explain. I will have to have a new debit card issued and either I have to wait a week to receive (which I can't) or pay my bank 20.00 to have card expedited in 2 days. Might not seem like a lot of money but I'm a college student and shouldn't have to incur fees because they are somehow getting card numbers and charging people.

• Mi
      24th of Aug, 2011

I found your post interesting, Attorney girl, and I would be more than happy to assist you with that issue! Have you been able to speak to any one of our representatives since you posted? In the event that you haven't, let me know as I can do some research to find out where that charge went toward and work on getting it fully refunded to you!