Dish Network / scam charges

1 9601 S. Meridian Blvd.Englewood, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-319-4564

Dish network has ripped me off repeatedly since I signed with them almost a year and a half ago but this week was the worst yet. I happened to look at my bank balance online and saw a $400 debit from Dish. I immediately called to find out what it was, thinking they must have made a mistake. I was told that it was a charge for equipment that was not returned. Not true. On March 24 I had installers come to the house to replace a non-functioning 622 receiver with a 722 that has been working fine since. They took the old unit with them! Maybe they never logged it back in or something but that is not my problem.

So after spending a while on the phone with someone whose accent I couldn't understand, I was finally told that they would look into it but it would take 2 to 3 weeks. I got agitated at this point and said no way--why should it take 2-3 weeks to reverse a fraudulent charge. The woman then agreed to have it taken care of in 3-5 days but something about her told me she was just trying to get me off the phone.

So just to be sure I called again today. I got someone who looked up my case and again told me it would take 3-5 days but he had to check with the dispatcher to find out if the equipment was ever returned. I repeated again that it was not a matter of it being 'returned' because they took the broken unit with them. I have now been on hold for at least a half hour while he supposedly gets in touch with the dispatcher (on a Friday afternoon--yeah, right). I've written this entire report while on hold. I do not expect him to even come back on the phone--I'm giving it another few minutes and then I'm giving up. Monday I will go to my bank and file a fraudulence claim.

By the way the 622 unit that was replaced was the third one that had the exact same technical problem where the unit would suddenly stop working and try to restart itself continually. They sent me replacement units (and yes, I sent back the bad ones) until I finally raised hell and demanded upgraded equipment, which of course this ripoff company charged me for. Then after they finally brought me a working unit, they had the nerve to charge me $29 for the service call--to replace their faulty equipment! As soon as this issue of the $400 is resolved one way or the other I'm done with them. I'll just go to Cablevision or FIOS. Enough is enough. This company needs to be investigated!

Update: Four days after writing the above there has been no contact or action from Dish. I have since filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau of Denver.

Va

Comments

17th of Jul, 2008

EXACT same problem with the receiver. I had the 622 receiver and have sent it back 4 times! The first time the HDMI stopped working. The next 3 times I had the same problem with the box rebooting. The box has been replaced 3 times in 2 months! They have placed the blame on the power unit in the box. I do consider myself somewhat tech savy - the box is not under/on top of anything to help dissipate the heat, it is plugged into a high-end surge protector, the unit has been stationary and is never moved or bumped. I have done everything I can to rule out user error - I am certain the unit is not of acceptable quality. After I called last night and demanded a new unit, they hesitantly agreed to upgrade me to the 722. After reading Jason's story I will be sure to get something in writing when they take away the defective unit. I have also noticed that if you call in the middle of the day (who needs a lunch break?) the queue time is minimal and your chances of getting an understandable English-speaking agent are increased.

• Je
      22nd of Jul, 2008

My mother's credit card was charged and all they can give her is the name of the person who placed the order with her credit card number. This company needs to go down for this kind of stuff. She will be filling a formal complaint with the TX Attorney Generals office and the BBB. Beware people...DONT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!