Dish Network / consumer fraud

1 CO, United States Review updated:

We were given a promotional offer for a free HD receiver and HD service free for life if we signed a new 2-yr contract. I called and verified that there would be no additional monthly charges.
We have had DN for 10 years and for the most part had been satisfied except for the constant increase in fees. Anyway, they installed the new receiver and replaced a dual receiver in another room. Then, without telling us, they disabled the receiver we had in our outbuilding that shouldn't have been affected by the HD transaction. When we discovered this and called support, they said our outbuilding receiver was suddenly a 3rd receiver and a new service, and we'd have to pay an additional $14.95/month to our current $90+ bill to reinstate the service that we had. Three phone calls of a total of 4 hours in which they cut me off twice, they finally agreed to remove the dual HD receiver and restore our outbuilding's service. Customer support was rude and snippy and insisted that the additional charge was for adding a new service and wouldn't admit it was for the dual receiver they installed.
Their scam is to tell you the HD receiver is free and then install another HD receiver in the second room, saying the receivers only work well if they're next to the TV. The advertising for this promotion should state that there are additional charges and the company should be more honest if they want to keep customers. We'd happily switch cable services but now we're locked into another 2-yr committment.

Comments

• Ki
      27th of Dec, 2010

Hi Daisymarie!
    10 years with DISH Network, WOW!! My name is Kirstie Filosa & I am with DISH Network's customer service. Personally, I would like to thank you for remaining a loyal customer with us for nearly a century! :) Also I wanted to thank you for your feedback, I will be making this type of issue, a priority to address with our customer service representatives. I'm very sorry you have experienced these issues recently, & I would be more then happy to provide further clarification because it appears as though it was either a misunderstanding or you were misinformed. After reading your post, it appears as though your current dual receiver was replaced and upgraded for free to an HD dual receiver, in addition from what I read, the technician also installed an additional HD receiver? Now each HD Dual receiver can accommodate- one H.D television set and one standard definition television, although without further information as far as how many televisions you have total, & how many of those are H.D, I wouldn't be able to accurately determine whether or not installing 2 H.D receivers is in fact what you needed. However I can tell you, if you only have one H.D t.v and one standard definition television & that's all you ever plan on having? Then only 1 H.D dual receiver would have worked. Also I'm sure you are aware NOW, but I just wanted to confirm that your first receiver is always included in your package price, and for any additional receiver active on your account there is an additional monthly lease fee. I hope this helps clarify, but if you need any further assistance or have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly- my email is, Kirstie.filosa@dishnetwork.com. - Take Care! - Kirstie