Dish Network / fraud and cheating

Sigh. You know I really do like the features offered by Dish Network. I like being able to flip channels and have a banner that shows me what's on and with the click of the Info button get specifics on the programming. And, I really do love our DVR. I really do. So, now you are wondering why I am here, right?!

We HAD been faithful and happy customers of the DISH Network for over 12 years, until December of 2007, when we got a letter from DISH explaining that if we wanted to continue receiving our local channels that we needed a service tech to come out and upgrade our DISH antenna for free, and according to the letter this needed to be done soon. Okay. So, we call DISH to schedule for this free antenna upgrade, and guess what?! The earliest we could get it done is in March 2008! Outrageous, especially since the letter made it sound like we would lose our local channels after January 2008. So, we waited til our scheduled appointment in March and, guess what?! The installer calls and says they can't do it that day, and it will have to be in May!!! Ok, whatever. May. This is still outrageous, but at least we still have our local channels and all the channels are working well. May finally comes and the service tech gets to our house late in the afternoon. Does the upgrade, but leaves before the switch installation verification is done, as it takes 35 minutes to finish, and says if there's any issues to call him. Ok, whatever (that was my hubby talking there). Guess what?! 35 minutes later there's an error in the switch installation with the middle transponder! So, every other time we want to watch DISH, we have to wait for the switch installation verification--believe me this is getting old fast. We call the installer, and he says its probably an aiming issue and says he will come out and aim it right when he's back in town in a couple of days. Ok, whatever. The evening after he said he'd re-aim the antenna, still the switch installation verification must be done and the same error comes up on the middle transponder (I'm thinking this is the DISH's middle finger--satellite TV's version of road rage, apparently). We've called DISH customer service several times, as the installer can't come out again to "repair" this without a service order from DISH.

In the middle of July we got a service tech out to fix it. Oh, and Dish had the nerve to try to charge us $75 for the service call, even after we expressly told them that it was Dish that initiated the problem and they said they would not charge us for the service call. My husband spoke with them again and got them to drop the service call charge. The verification error issue is fixed, but now the local channels don't work. When we turn to a local channel, sometimes it comes on for a minute, sometimes it doesn't, but it always will go to an error message. It is frustrating to pay $5/month extra for service we don't get. It is especially disturbing because ever since we started, we pay for the year upfront, but when we started getting the local channels, we have to pay that every month, thus we are reminded monthly how we DON'T get that service.

To make matters worse, several Dish subscribers in our community are having the same problem receiving the local channels, and Dish is basically ignoring the problem. All we want is to be able to consistently get our local channels. I don't think we are asking much. But, Dish apparently cannot connect the dots to help all of us out. The worst part is that all of us are really considering dropping Dish for cable--egads!

In July, when we were experiencing our daily Dish torment, I had written this in my journal: "No matter how much I hate local cable, why, oh why is DISH pushing me to cancel their service and subscribe to crappy local cable??? Don't push me too far, DISH, I'll do it... I'll subscribe to crappy local cable, because right now I have NO SERVICE from DISH." Sad, really. We've been mostly content with Dish for about 12 years now. We've persuaded friends and relatives to subscribe to Dish, and touted their services.

I really hate local cable, but I am really beginning to hate the lack of responsive service so we can receive local channels. If they can't give us local, I wish we could have our East feed of the networks back. I just want to watch Saturday Night Live one of these weekends. I heard the Tina Fey-Sarah Palin impression is impressive. Sigh.

Va

Comments

• To
      4th of Oct, 2008

My experience with Dish Network is similar. We recently got an urgent notice saying our Dish receiver had to be "upgraded." The job took all day and into the evening. If it was working properly it would still require changing inputs on the remote to get from Dish to local cable, something the old receiver did with a "channel scan, " a worthwhile functionality that allowed changing from Dish channels to local cable seamlessly. This feature was dropped on the "upgrade." Now I can't get my local cable except for one channel and when I do get that I can still hear the last Dish channel in the background.

The incompetence and stupidity of Dish Network is stunning, and I will be changing providers.

27th of Oct, 2008

Get Verizon FiOS if it is available in your area. Combined with phone and internet access, you can get all 3 for $99 a month, which is a steal considering the internet is much, much faster than any cable you'll come across, and you get around 200 TV channels, which again is a steal for the price when compared to any cable provider like Comcast. The picture quality is incredible and the service is flawless in my experience. Why anyone would want regular cable like Comcast when they could have this is beyond me.

• Ro
      27th of Jul, 2009

Whoa PROBLEMS? Thought it was just me. Over 3yrs. ago Dish Install. From the beginning lousy. Installer, "Any problems call us". Ha! Nothing but problems. I was nice a first. After 6 or 7 calls with no return calls, told them to either come fix it or pick up their equipment.
    Little did I know this was the beginning of a catastrophe. Dish not aimed properly. Necessary info not downloaded. Ha! Why did you leave so fast? Now I sit back to enjoy some TV. Enjoy! ENjoy! ENJOY! More problems crop up.
    Have wide screen TV. TV sits perpendicular to computer. Distance 12ft. Working on computer, my peripheral vision is perfect, notice some thing odd. Turn & look at TV. Channels are changing. Remote control not even close to me. WHAT IS GOING ON?
    MORE PROBLEMS!! Watching TV. Half the screen turns black & stays black. Hmmm! Size of large info box? Yes! Does it go away? No. Several days like this. Enjoy TV? Ha!
    Have to admit, with one problem called "DISH". Very nice female rep. walks me thru problem. Great. High Definition programs better.
    Call "DISH". Male rep. says it will cost $245.00 for box. Put it on Credit card. Came out & installs box. Now I get a monthly charge for HD box. Call Dish & told them I bought the box. "Sorry, we just rent the box. We don't sell them". Well I sure bought & paid for mine. DISH: "We don't sell them". Do you think I am stupid enough to rent any kind of box for $245.00 a month? Get with it. Still received monthly bill for rental of HD box. I'm not paying that monthly fee. Reimburse me. DISH: "Can't do that. We only rent them, not sell them".
    I refuse & don't pay monthly fee. Next the programs don't come in correctly. You name it, it has happened to me. CANCEL ME OUT. Discontinue my service. DISH: "You have contract with us for 2 yrs". Whoa, DID have contract. If one constituting contract doesn't live up to their end of contract, the contract will be nullified, after attempts have been made to correct problem. Reasonable attempts had been made.
    Service is canceled. Still receive monthly bill for service & HD box. AUDACITY!! Go to Wells Fargo Bank and explain problem. Do not pay DISH anything. ARBITRATION. Repudiate charges. Want my $245.00 back. Wells Fargo's action? Sit on it & do nothing. Oh, excuse me. Just what is necessary.
    DISH notifies Wells Fargo Bank they will send boxes to me to send back equipment back. I'm reasonable. Refund my money first & I will send you equipment. DISH informs Wells Fargo Bank boxes have been sent. Did I receive them??? It is a good thing I'm not holding my breath. I still have not received them. Gone to collections when It was not my fault. Still on credit report. Changed banks as Wells Fargo was dragging their feet. Withdrew my money out. Went to find a bank. D.L. EVANS BANK. Rah for them. To put it bluntly, DISH has a lot to be desired. RWK